• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello, tarantula lovers

Telson

3 Year Member
I'll be the crude one round here Phil..that's my job ;) Marija your first spider being an Lp was an excellent choice. I forsee you will become a great Jedi...welcome to the forum, and if I might suggest, have a look at these genera:
Pamphobeteus, Phormictopus, and Theraphosa.
In my humble, hehe, opinion they are the jewels of the hobby.

Marija

3 Year Member
In my experience, much less. I have 4x slings balfouri and a sub-adult. They are like pet holes (hide a lot), nowhere near as defensive/aggressive as an OBT. None of mine are anyway. I also have an OBT and that is just mental even though just over an inch long. All baboon spiders can be defensive and not normally for the beginner or faint hearted.....lol. I was also reminded by @Kymura that I did not mention the Geniculata earlier. A large species that is a very good dispatched tarantula. ,usually just sits right in the middle of thr tank without a care in the world. My Geniculata (Genie) is my avatar, out of my 64 (and counting) probably my gave T and is now knocking on the door of nearly 8 inches total leg span. Stunning contrast with the black and white markings and certainly in UK and across Europe, cheap as chips at the moment.
OBT is gorgeous but kind of psychotic :D I'll definitely own one in the future but for now I keep my distance haha.
A friend of mine has an adult female geniculata and she is really nice. He made a coffee table with large drawers as terrarium and a glass on top so you can look at them while you enjoy your coffee. Needless to say I love spending time at his house haha. His geniculata is really calm and I can see that it's his favourite. I'll keep the species in mind :)

Marija

3 Year Member
I suppose you get the good and the bad with the "web" (pardon the pun). If they can't recall that they too were new at some point and wanted to learn from others then they are probably a tosser in whatever walk of life they are in (apologies for being crude). Makes my blood boil when people stop being helpful. I can shout out at least 10 people on here who would never dream of being like that despite a cumulative total of probably hundreds of yesrs in the hobby. ....lol
Yeah, that's true. They tend to get rude (not all of them but most). I really try to keep my tarantulas happy and in a nice enclosure but no matter what you do and if you post pictures they always find a way to make you feel like a bad owner...
For example I've seen my parahybana climb a lot on one side and hanging on the glass so I've put her a piece of bark there (kind of lion king cliff :p). She hangs at the top of the bark all day, I think she likes it :)
14796063_1147991595278026_671548638_o.jpg

Marija

3 Year Member
I'll be the crude one round here Phil..that's my job ;) Marija your first spider being an Lp was an excellent choice. I forsee you will become a great Jedi...welcome to the forum, and if I might suggest, have a look at these genera:
Pamphobeteus, Phormictopus, and Theraphosa.
In my humble, hehe, opinion they are the jewels of the hobby.
Thanks, I certainly hope to become a great Jedi :D
Wow, Pamphobeteus and Phormictopus can get quite colorful, love the purple on them! I'll have to check if they are available here.
Theraphosa are huuuge, real beasts :D but I love it. Hope my parahybana grows big, she is 6,5 inch now and 5 years old.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks, I certainly hope to become a great Jedi :D
Wow, Pamphobeteus and Phormictopus can get quite colorful, love the purple on them! I'll have to check if they are available here.
Theraphosa are huuuge, real beasts :D but I love it. Hope my parahybana grows big, she is 6,5 inch now and 5 years old.

Try these sites in Poland:-
http://spidershop.pl/product-category/arachnids/slings/?lang=en
http://www.spidersworld.eu/en/product-category/tarantulas/
http://www.spidersonline.pl/en_US/c/Slings-nosex/63 (this shop is closed, should be back tomorrow)

Marija

3 Year Member

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Do they ship in Croatia? If they do, can the tarantula survive the shipping? I'm kind of scared of that...

I'm in the UK and they ship here so I don't see why not. I've used all 3 shops and not had any problems.

syzygy

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! 3 things....
1) The fact that you are so impatient waiting for "Pulchripes" to molt tells me that you will fit in really well with the rest of us who are in that same perpetual cycle.
2) Phobia is an awesome name. If I ever get a T.stirmi or some other truly giant species I may steal that.
3) Your T photos are quite good. Makes me want to dust off my camera and try to get some photos of mine.

Marija

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! 3 things....
1) The fact that you are so impatient waiting for "Pulchripes" to molt tells me that you will fit in really well with the rest of us who are in that same perpetual cycle.
2) Phobia is an awesome name. If I ever get a T.stirmi or some other truly giant species I may steal that.
3) Your T photos are quite good. Makes me want to dust off my camera and try to get some photos of mine.
Thanks for your welcome.
Well the pulchripes last ate on September 01. so you can imagine... The moment I come from work first thing I do is check if she molted haha. That cute thing is driving me nuts :D
The last few days she turned really black on the abdomen and the rest of the body so I thought that is it but still nothing. She stands there like she has all the time in the world haha. Can't wait to see her in her new "clothes" :)
Feel free to steal the name :D it would be my honor.
Thanks for the compliment about the photos. I take them with my phone but I have to get a good camera and make a photosession :D

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
OBT is gorgeous but kind of psychotic :D I'll definitely own one in the future but for now I keep my distance haha.
A friend of mine has an adult female geniculata and she is really nice. He made a coffee table with large drawers as terrarium and a glass on top so you can look at them while you enjoy your coffee. Needless to say I love spending time at his house haha. His geniculata is really calm and I can see that it's his favourite. I'll keep the species in mind :)
That coffee table idea sounds awesome. Is your friend willing to share a pic here. I am sure lots of us would love to see it. I had my Genic in a converted aquarium (190 litre corner unit) will dig out a pic. ☺

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah, that's true. They tend to get rude (not all of them but most). I really try to keep my tarantulas happy and in a nice enclosure but no matter what you do and if you post pictures they always find a way to make you feel like a bad owner...
For example I've seen my parahybana climb a lot on one side and hanging on the glass so I've put her a piece of bark there (kind of lion king cliff :p). She hangs at the top of the bark all day, I think she likes it :)
View attachment 19781
They tend to find what's comfortable for them. My geniculata hangs out on a large root all the time. She is doing that in my avatar pic and climbs a lot considering her size. I always get worried she will hurt herself. Funny story actually (not at the time). She escaped out of her tank, climbed round my racking system where all the other T's are. Up the wall, round he curtains, back on the floor and after all that, she must have decided to take a rest under my bed!!!! I folllwed the trail lf silk ha ha
All my Ts are in my bedroom atm. Bit of a tight fit. 64 and counting......lol.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Do they ship in Croatia? If they do, can the tarantula survive the shipping? I'm kind of scared of that...
I was the same with shipping. Had always drove to see for myself what I was intending to buy. I have used 2 of the Polish sites and have shipped some of my spiders to fellow members in the UK and received many spiders from shipments in UK too. There really is very little to worry about. Not had any problems at all.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That coffee table idea sounds awesome. Is your friend willing to share a pic here. I am sure lots of us would love to see it. I had my Genic in a converted aquarium (190 litre corner unit) will dig out a pic. ☺
Found a pic
20151025_162652.jpg

Marija

3 Year Member
I'll ask for a picture or go and take one myself :)

Marija

3 Year Member
They tend to find what's comfortable for them. My geniculata hangs out on a large root all the time. She is doing that in my avatar pic and climbs a lot considering her size. I always get worried she will hurt herself. Funny story actually (not at the time). She escaped out of her tank, climbed round my racking system where all the other T's are. Up the wall, round he curtains, back on the floor and after all that, she must have decided to take a rest under my bed!!!! I folllwed the trail lf silk ha ha
All my Ts are in my bedroom atm. Bit of a tight fit. 64 and counting......lol.
Good thing you found her :D
My friend also had his geniculata escaped. The glass on the coffee table got loose in one corner so the smart lady started digging through the substrate, table and found her way out. He found her three days later behind a large closet. Luckily she was unharmed.
64 tarantulas, wow... Living the dream :D

Latest posts