• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello, spider people

jackys

3 Year Member
Don't think the other half will appreciate that. But I can hide them right? Their only little [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Haha, my husband was initially like "I guess it would be ok to get a tarantula, one spider doesn't take up much space." Then with the second one, "Ok, one more, but that's it!" By the third, his reaction was "wow that one looks cool... I guess one more wouldn't hurt >_>" I bet there will come a time when HE'S the one trying to add to the collection lol

One of my friends started out with the intention of getting one tarantula, couldn't decide on a single species, and ended up getting 3 "first T's" instead. Within just a few weeks she had a 4th... and she started *after* me! I keep telling myself that as long as she's outpacing me in numbers, I must be showing great restraint :p

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
Haha, my husband was initially like "I guess it would be ok to get a tarantula, one spider doesn't take up much space." Then with the second one, "Ok, one more, but that's it!" By the third, his reaction was "wow that one looks cool... I guess one more wouldn't hurt >_>" I bet there will come a time when HE'S the one trying to add to the collection lol

One of my friends started out with the intention of getting one tarantula, couldn't decide on a single species, and ended up getting 3 "first T's" instead. Within just a few weeks she had a 4th... and she started *after* me! I keep telling myself that as long as she's outpacing me in numbers, I must be showing great restraint :p
Lol that's brilliant. Atm he is going one more won't hurt. But that is it. I'm hope for the same reaction you got haha

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
I've been waiting ages for him to crawl off the tissue, I've just looked now and he was more off than on. Dammit I missed my baby crawling for the 1st time [emoji21][emoji28]

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've been waiting ages for him to crawl off the tissue, I've just looked now and he was more off than on. Dammit I missed my baby crawling for the 1st time [emoji21][emoji28]

Wait 'til you get to see it pounce on food :D

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
I am counting down the days! It's going to be so cute taking down a little cricket lol. I've seen a lot of videos of them feeding but I know it's going to be so much better to see in the flesh.

On that note though, how long before I feed my spider do I feed the crickets?

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
I am counting down the days! It's going to be so cute taking down a little cricket lol. I've seen a lot of videos of them feeding but I know it's going to be so much better to see in the flesh.

He's on side of his tank, is that normal?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

I've always fed mine as soon as they arrive but others say wait until they settle, my view is they settle quicker with a full tummy :).

I'm guessing as you're in the UK you have a box of crickets. They don't live long but you can put some baby salad leaves in or young cabbage or cauliflower leaves.

He's on side of his tank, is that normal?

Yes, it's quite normal. All 3 of mine climb the sides at times but make sure there is nothing hard near the sides that it could fall on.

jackys

3 Year Member
Pretty normal to be on the side of the tank, I think. My B. hamorii was climbing all over the place when I first got her. She stopped after a few days, and now only does it occasionally. 2 weeks before she molted, she climbed a bunch to put up a kind of "barbed wire fence" (web and urticating hairs) around the top of her enclosure.

The vendor where I got 2 of my tarantulas recommended waiting 2 to 7 days before feeding. I've heard similar recommendations elsewhere.

I will admit that I ignored that recommendation with two of my spiders. I fed B. hamorii the day after I got her, and A. geniculata the same day. Both showed "feeding response" behavior: B. hamorii when lightly touched with a paint brush (tried to grab it from me), and A. geniculata while I was removing the packing material post-unboxing (thought moving paper towel scraps were food). Incidentally, that's why I always use tongs for cage maintenance and such: they can't really see too well and might be hungry.

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
Pretty normal to be on the side of the tank, I think. My B. hamorii was climbing all over the place when I first got her. She stopped after a few days, and now only does it occasionally. 2 weeks before she molted, she climbed a bunch to put up a kind of "barbed wire fence" (web and urticating hairs) around the top of her enclosure.

The vendor where I got 2 of my tarantulas recommended waiting 2 to 7 days before feeding. I've heard similar recommendations elsewhere.

I will admit that I ignored that recommendation with two of my spiders. I fed B. hamorii the day after I got her, and A. geniculata the same day. Both showed "feeding response" behavior: B. hamorii when lightly touched with a paint brush (tried to grab it from me), and A. geniculata while I was removing the packing material post-unboxing (thought moving paper towel scraps were food). Incidentally, that's why I always use tongs for cage maintenance and such: they can't really see too well and might be hungry.
I woke up this morn and he has burrowed into his hole and built a wall. Is he ok in there? What's he doing in ther?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I woke up this morn and he has burrowed into his hole and built a wall. Is he ok in there? What's he doing in ther?

It'll be making its home. Once it's got its burrow to its liking it will sit in there and chill, waiting for food to appear.

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
It'll be making its home. Once it's got its burrow to its liking it will sit in there and chill, waiting for food to appear.
How will he know food is there?

Oh and I'm looking at getting a greenbottle blue juvenile from TSS. Are their care needs any different from the b.smithi?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Oh and I'm looking at getting a greenbottle blue juvenile from TSS. Are their care needs any different from the b.smithi?

They lay fine web around their holes to act as trip wires to alert them to food and intruders.

I've never kept a GBB but I know they are very colourful and heavy webbers but they also like dry substrate so pretty similar.

jackys

3 Year Member

I'm no biologist, but it's my understanding that they primarily sense food by motion. Their setae are really sensitive and can detect the slightest vibrations. They may also lay down webbing to act as trip wires for prey: something touches the web, and they're on it. Their reflexes are really, really impressive when prey approaches :D

I don't have a GBB so can't offer much first-hand experience... But my friend who dove into the hobby with 3 first T's got a juvenile GBB as one of her first. She's only had it for about 2 months, so not sure if this is "best practice," but she basically keeps it as you would a B. hamorii, plus adding some extra anchor points for their heavy webbing (they web a LOT, one reason I'd love one of my own).

One thing I learned from her is that the GBB can be startlingly fast (EDIT: almost escaped the day she got it when she accidentally startled it)... Just something to keep in mind. I know I personally was surprised by how fast my B. hamorii and G. porteri are, and they're supposedly "slow" as T's go. But like I said, my friend was an absolute beginner when she got her GBB, so it's probably not unmanageable as long as you're cautious.

Last edited:

jackys

3 Year Member
Here is a video on the GBB from one of my favorite YouTubers:

His videos and blog have been super useful helping me start out, along with "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide," this forum and others :)

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
I'm no biologist, but it's my understanding that they primarily sense food by motion. Their setae are really sensitive and can detect the slightest vibrations. They may also lay down webbing to act as trip wires for prey: something touches the web, and they're on it. Their reflexes are really, really impressive when prey approaches :D

I don't have a GBB so can't offer much first-hand experience... But my friend who dove into the hobby with 3 first T's got a juvenile GBB as one of her first. She's only had it for about 2 months, so not sure if this is "best practice," but she basically keeps it as you would a B. hamorii, plus adding some extra anchor points for their heavy webbing (they web a LOT, one reason I'd love one of my own).

One thing I learned from her is that the GBB can be startlingly fast (EDIT: almost escaped the day she got it when she accidentally startled it)... Just something to keep in mind. I know I personally was surprised by how fast my B. hamorii and G. porteri are, and they're supposedly "slow" as T's go. But like I said, my friend was an absolute beginner when she got her GBB, so it's probably not unmanageable as long as you're cautious.
They are so beautiful and they make amazing webs. Main reason why I want one.

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
They lay fine web around their holes to act as trip wires to alert them to food and intruders.

I've never kept a GBB but I know they are very colourful and heavy webbers but they also like dry substrate so pretty similar.
That's what I thought. Are they invisible to the naked eye?

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
Here is a video on the GBB from one of my favorite YouTubers:

His videos and blog have been super useful helping me start out, along with "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide," this forum and others :)
Do you know if there is a forum thread on here about them? I've had a look but can't seem to find anything. Will watch the video later when kids in bed [emoji3]

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's what I thought. Are they invisible to the naked eye?

They're not easy to see to begin with. As it really makes its home the substrate will appear well trampled with a faint whiteness to it.

Latest posts