• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello, spider people

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The block of substrate needs soaking and then drying. When you just need a small amount just wet a corner and after a few minutes it will break off more easily. I dry mine in the oven on low temperature.
The stuff in the tub, I don't know but they may intend you to add a bit to the coco fibre but it's not necessary.
Your T will need water and you can use a pop bottle lid if there is room in the container for it, if not you can just dribble a little down the side every 2-3 days.

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
The block of substrate that you have will need to be soaked first before you can use it ,directions should be on the packet, then it will have to dry out completely which can take up to a week , as for drinking water Slings and Juvies , I use bottle caps, ie water or any of the soft drink bottles you buy.
How big is the T ?.:):T:
It's 5-6cm. I haven't got a week lol.
This is what it is looking like rn. Can I spray it to loosen it up a bit?
bb06a28c2d86bae47b4ac6ea5fab6dca.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
The block of substrate needs soaking and then drying. When you just need a small amount just wet a corner and after a few minutes it will break off more easily. I dry mine in the oven on low temperature.
The stuff in the tub, I don't know but they may intend you to add a bit to the coco fibre but it's not necessary.
Your T will need water and you can use a pop bottle lid if there is room in the container for it, if not you can just dribble a little down the side every 2-3 days.
Yeah I kno they need water. I got a nice bowl in my pack.

Does it absolutely need to be soaked or can I just spray it a bit then break off bit by bit?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah I kno they need water. I got a nice bowl in my pack.

Does it absolutely need to be soaked or can I just spray it a bit then break off bit by bit?

You'll be amazed how quickly the block will soften just by standing a corner in the water. I dry mine by spreading it out thinly in a roasting tin and put it in the oven, low temp and give it a stir round every so often.

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For the size enclosure you have , yes, you will need to soak the brick I`m afraid. Soak half if you can but it still needs to be dried out.

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
Omg there is so much of it now.
I ordered the starter kit from TSS. And it was meant to be a large faunarium but looks kinda small

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Omg there is so much of it now.
I ordered the starter kit from TSS. And it was meant to be a large faunarium but looks kinda small

Squeeze out any excess water , this will help it out dry out quicker.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Doesn't seem large at all to me
a511b644221fffdb2e47335496e31511.jpg

That will be fine for quite a long time, they don't need a lot of space. The general rule is that the container should be twice the leg span of the T.

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
That`s ok , size is fine, it`s not the largest , there`s one more above that, I use these to house my Baboons, nice and deep.:):T:
I know it will be ok for a while just a little peeved bc it said I'd be getting a large. But the siver lining is that I've now got too much substrate which means I absolutely have to get another spider just so it don't go to waste haha

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Will I still need to use a heat mat? Sorry for all the Qs

As long as your room is warm enough for you to sit in comfort it will be fine for the T. Heat mats are not really recommended for Ts as they dry them out too much but if you feel the need to use one put it on the side or back, not underneath
I know it will be ok for a while just a little peeved bc it said I'd be getting a large. But the siver lining is that I've now got too much substrate which means I absolutely have to get another spider just so it don't go to waste haha

You've got the idea, same goes for food :D. Why do you think we all keep getting more and more Ts?

Latest posts