• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello! Major newbie here :)

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks so much! I’ve been cramming the info, let me tell you. The Latin names are tricky, too. Lol My number one want right now is a b. boehmei, but I’m not holding my breath. Females seem to be pretty scarce. :(
Welcome to the ranks of the infected!
What can be a good idea, and what I do when thinking about getting a new 'critter' is to see what is available from a couple of sources that are easy to by from, then at least you have names to research to see if any are suitable rather than researching blindly and picking a species that is not readily available to you, it'll be on your wishlist, but another species may be more realistic at the time. Rest assured you won't stop at one anyway! :)

RachelC

3 Year Member
Very excellent info, thank you!!

I’m really interested in arboreals, but I’m going to wait and get used to terrestrials first. Really want a p metallica, but I’m keeping control of myself.

I have a couple of fish tanks I’m planning on using. Might change my mind, though.

And I’m perfectly fine with not handling. I would like to, but if I can’t, no big deal. I’ve only ever held one—a wild one I found under one of our horse troughs. It was surprisingly calm and very non-aggressive. And that little guy got me started on wanting one. :T::D

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very excellent info, thank you!!

I’m really interested in arboreals, but I’m going to wait and get used to terrestrials first. Really want a p metallica, but I’m keeping control of myself.

I have a couple of fish tanks I’m planning on using. Might change my mind, though.

And I’m perfectly fine with not handling. I would like to, but if I can’t, no big deal. I’ve only ever held one—a wild one I found under one of our horse troughs. It was surprisingly calm and very non-aggressive. And that little guy got me started on wanting one. :T::D
That is an excellent way to approach the hobby, Often times new keepers go for the Tarantula that catches their eye, before taking into consideration what that tarantula is capable of. There are a few who actually do research and work their way up the ladder (I am one of them) (I haven't even set foot into intermediate NWs yet, which will change soon).
What many newcomers don't know is that there are several eye catching species that are perfect for beginners (ex: T. cyaneolum, if you can find one).

RachelC

3 Year Member
That is an excellent way to approach the hobby, Often times new keepers go for the Tarantula that catches their eye, before taking into consideration what that tarantula is capable of. There are a few who actually do research and work their way up the ladder (I am one of them) (I haven't even set foot into intermediate NWs yet, which will change soon).
What many newcomers don't know is that there are several eye catching species that are perfect for beginners (ex: T. cyaneolum, if you can find one).
I used to be somewhat of an arachnophobe, that’s why I’m doing my research. I want to make absolutely sure I want one, and it needs to be an easy one. Lol (Also I’m a little lazy, but anyway.)

I know I DON’T want baboons. They scare me a little. Lol

One thing I haven’t been schooled on yet is the difference between OW & NW. I need to check into that.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I used to be somewhat of an arachnophobe, that’s why I’m doing my research. I want to make absolutely sure I want one, and it needs to be an easy one. Lol (Also I’m a little lazy, but anyway.)

I know I DON’T want baboons. They scare me a little. Lol

One thing I haven’t been schooled on yet is the difference between OW & NW. I need to check into that.
Biggest difference is OWs don't have urticating hair. OWs are also more potent than NWs, their venom won't kill humans, but will probably give you an excuse to take a day or two off of work. I've never been bitten, nor do I plan to. Some "baboons" are not that bad, M. balfouri, E. pachypus, and Harpactira Sp. are examples of not too defensive.
I have an E. pachypus and a pair of H. dictator that were mated recently.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
OWs also tend to be faster.....although you probably cannot get a faster T than Tapinauchenius sp. (a new world)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
And last but not least, almost every old world tarantula is a hider. 99% of them only come out in the dark, and if they have their way you'll never see them. There are several new world species that are gorgeous, some of them giants, that show themselves readily, sometimes sitting out all day. That's a big factor for me. My P metallica is not a hider, which is fantastic, but every other old world sp. I've owned has been. Just some food for thought.

RachelC

3 Year Member
And last but not least, almost every old world tarantula is a hider. 99% of them only come out in the dark, and if they have their way you'll never see them. There are several new world species that are gorgeous, some of them giants, that show themselves readily, sometimes sitting out all day. That's a big factor for me. My P metallica is not a hider, which is fantastic, but every other old world sp. I've owned has been. Just some food for thought.
Oh yeah, that’s pretty important, I want to be able to see them. Thanks!

Calico

3 Year Member
Rachel: turn back now!! Stop reading TF or AB. STOP your research. Pretend that you are like most adults and shriek like a banshee, run away, and get your shoe ready whenever you think of spiders. They are icky, hairy, full of legs that just want to walk on you and they will jump on you when you sleep. To go further is risky. Can you imagine: (heaven forbid.......) a “spider room”?? You have been warned!!

:p This is so true! Before I got my first T this was exactly how I felt about spiders. I now have two and am always looking for another. I have a new found respect for them. Instead of killing (if unavoidable) I will now get a jar, catch and release to my back yard. Yes, they do still freak me out but not as much. They are like tattoos, you can't stop at one! Welcome to the forum. These guys have helped this newbie tremendously.

RachelC

3 Year Member
:p This is so true! Before I got my first T this was exactly how I felt about spiders. I now have two and am always looking for another. I have a new found respect for them. Instead of killing (if unavoidable) I will now get a jar, catch and release to my back yard. Yes, they do still freak me out but not as much. They are like tattoos, you can't stop at one! Welcome to the forum. These guys have helped this newbie tremendously.
Same here! I inspect them closely now, they’re pretty cool.

Latest posts