• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello! Major newbie here :)

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
Greetings Rachel! Welcome to this wonderful forum! You won't be disappointing with raising Tarantulas, they are amazing creatures and I love every minuet of it. My best advice is doing your research. Find a genus that interests you and run with it. I began my collection when my wife bought me a juvi B. albopilosum (curly hair), and I now have 4 of those including around 30 other varieties in my care. Be careful. this is an addictive hobby :) Enjoy!

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
Thanks so much! I’ve been cramming the info, let me tell you. The Latin names are tricky, too. Lol My number one want right now is a b. boehmei, but I’m not holding my breath. Females seem to be pretty scarce. :(
That is truly a great T. Be sure to take your time and shop around, there's always deals out there. I actually have a female on it's way to me now :)

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks so much! I’ve been cramming the info, let me tell you. The Latin names are tricky, too. Lol My number one want right now is a b. boehmei, but I’m not holding my breath. Females seem to be pretty scarce. :(
Right here on the forum is your best bet to find what you are looking for. You will find that members such as @Casey K. @sdsnybny and @Austin S. always offer amazing deals. You never know what you may find.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Rachel! Welcome to the family! If you have any questions or are interested in any particular species, let me know. If I don't have it, I'm certain one of my friends do! :)

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Rachel: turn back now!! Stop reading TF or AB. STOP your research. Pretend that you are like most adults and shriek like a banshee, run away, and get your shoe ready whenever you think of spiders. They are icky, hairy, full of legs that just want to walk on you and they will jump on you when you sleep. To go further is risky. Can you imagine: (heaven forbid.......) a “spider room”?? You have been warned!!

RachelC

3 Year Member
Rachel: turn back now!! Stop reading TF or AB. STOP your research. Pretend that you are like most adults and shriek like a banshee, run away, and get your shoe ready whenever you think of spiders. They are icky, hairy, full of legs that just want to walk on you and they will jump on you when you sleep. To go further is risky. Can you imagine: (heaven forbid.......) a “spider room”?? You have been warned!!

:p:D

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome welcome my dear.

We all FLOAT down here. Hahahahahaha !!

No. In all seriousness, this forum is smart and friendly. Usually most people start with new world types and terrestrials (ground surface dwellers) and move on to arboreals and old world ones later.

It's not a hard and fast rule however.

I would say select an enclosure that is clear not opaque and offers great visibility. Your tarantula enclosure is like your computer keyboard. It's literally the mechanism you use to interact with the critter. So, get a good one.

It isn't necessary to handle a tarantula. Their neurophysiology doesn't support learning or social interactions. A catch cup and a soft paintbrush are your friends. Obviously the catch cup must have some sort of top or lid.

In my opinion, it's much less stressful and much less expensive to get a spiderling or small juvenile rather then an adult. It's lots of fun to watch them grow and you can grow in skill along with your spider. This means you want a fast growing but tractible spider.

If you want an adult, doesn't matter how slow it grows and an adult slow grower will live a long time, even the males.

Look but don't touch pets are ok but avoid the extremely aggressive ones. There's too many possibilities or opinions to list them all. What I like to do is to look at what people have, especially when they have multiple ones of the same species or genus.

Latest posts