• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Washington, looking to get my 1st T

JennieBug

3 Year Member
Hey everyone!

My name is Jennie and I have been interested in tarantulas for as long as I can remember, but after many crazy fun pets I've had and currently have, I've finally decided its about time I make room for my very first T - after I "convince" my boyfriend to get one, not that he really has a choice in the matter...but he is a bit squeamish when it comes to anything with more than 4 legs so I think it would make him feel slightly more at ease if I make him excited about it...even just a little bit. muahaha.

Looking to learn as much as I can before I do get the new addition!

Jen
Owned by Chickens, Turkeys, Ducks, Rats, Geckos, Fish, Cats, Dogs, Horses, a Newt and a Bunny.

JennieBug

3 Year Member
I have been looking around.. I still was unsure if I should order online from a reputable site or if I should find one locally, which lacks variety and age.

After reading up a bit I found I liked the Mexican Curly Hair, Chilean Rose Hair, Arizona Desert Blondes, Brazilian Giant Salmons, and Chaco Giant Gold Strips.
As most I'm sure have their own personalities, I was hoping to at least stay within the more docile of the bunch. Still trying to decide though.

I REALLY would love to get a spiderling either way - but as I said, I might have to find someone reputable online in order to make that happen. If you have any good references or suggestions that would be awesome. I am in no hurry, I want to make sure I know what I need and what I can do to create a happy environment for a future new love!

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the boards! Good selection of T's you have in mind. I'm sure you'll love your T, no matter which one you get.

JennieBug

3 Year Member
So I have my mind pretty set on a Chaco Golden Knee (Grammostola Pulchripes?<--trying to get into the habit of learning their technical names hehe).

I really do want a sling, I think it would be quite a different experience to watch as one grow and change. I'll keep you updated!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
CGK are great spiders, but be warned they grow super slow. Almost all online dealers have them, I'd go with petcenterUSA.net

JennieBug

3 Year Member
I've read that! I don't mind as long as s/he is healthy and happy. And thank you for that site reference I'll definitely take a look. I've been looking around as well...I usual my order my mealies from lllreptile.com and they have had some of the best live feeders I've found and seem to have good reviews that I've noticed with their animals as well.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Don't buy T's from LLL. there are tons of horror stories about them and T's, they even have a rose hair care video up somewhere that couldn't be more wrong. But T's from a T dealer or in person.

JennieBug

3 Year Member
I am an now the owner of not one but TWO slings...lol. I ended up getting my Grammostola pulchripes and since my order had to be a minimum of $30 I decided to get a Lasiadora parahybana. They are expected to arrive tomorrow around 10:30am - I will be at work but my boyfriend will be home for them, crossing my fingers I get off work early at 11 ^^ Getting their setups ready tonight, I found quite a few different containers I could use. I believe the CGK is .5" and the LP 3/4" - the containers I found were 2.5" wide and I bought a couple slightly larger ones just in case too. I was a little worried with the crazy weather changes here, so Ive been looking up how to make a micro-climate within a smaller tank. I have spare tanks left and right, but not entirely sure what temp to try and keep one at for these little guys at as I'm reading different crap and opinions everywhere - some say room temp mid 70s some say high 70s to low 80s. >.< Going to test out different sized tanks to try and get a steady read on those temps tonight. I might just grab the stuff from Ace to make a thermostat tomorrow...I'd prefer to set it up in the 2.5 gal to make things easier but it may be too small for my mat/too hot. We'll see! I should probably start posting in the "general section" about now lol. SO EXCITED!

Latest posts