• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello fellow T lovers

Papaya

Hello

I had a few T collection years ago in my late teens early 20's Now my son is interested and Im looking to start him off with a female B Smithi (They used to be called "Mexican Orange Knee" back in the day), It was a great first spider for me (had Ophelia for 19 years!) Having a hard time finding one as it seems many people dont know theres a difference between Smithi and Hamori

I am looking forward to sharing this fun and fascinating hobby with my son

Cheers

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

sunset

Hello

I had a few T collection years ago in my late teens early 20's Now my son is interested and Im looking to start him off with a female B Smithi (They used to be called "Mexican Orange Knee" back in the day), It was a great first spider for me (had Ophelia for 19 years!) Having a hard time finding one as it seems many people dont know theres a difference between Smithi and Hamori

Cheers

sunset

Hi and welcome to you both!! I also share my interest and love for arachnids with my kiddo!! Such a unique experience. I find her friends are also super interested in learning about them. We share pictures with her class through a parent school app. They helped her with ice breakers going back into school. We have 2 Gbb's, one is a sling and one juvenile. We have 3 sling T. Albo's . 3 almost juvenile T. Vagans. And an A. Henzi. I really want a G.Pulcra and a few others but G.Pulcra is my prize I'm dieing to get. I know basic but I love them all and adore each of Thier different personalities per say.
Any way again welcome!!

Jeef

3 Year Member
Greetings and welcome aboard!

My first girl was a B. smithi. I had to hunt for ages! Months after being super particular about it being a B. smithi, I decided I want a B. hamorii as well. And about 5 or 6 others, but we won't go there.

On an unrelated note, I found you a theme song if you need one. We are big Babymetal fans in my house.

Papaya

Thank you all for the kind words and warm welcome. Its refreshing to see online. (Ive been fortunate enough to be able to completely avoid the human ****fight that is social media). Nature is amazing and spiders are such a friggin cool niche

Its interesting to see how much the science / art has evolved from 25 years ago. When I first got my B Smithi they were "Orange Knee" which was disctintive from the smaller "Red Knee" It seems its come full circle.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome
20211224_143549.gif

Tn tarantula

Hello

Cheers
Welcome I'm sure your son will enjoy it I just got into the hobby last week and it has been fun

Papaya

Hello & welcome.

Are you aware of the recent name changes effecting B smithi? What was the B smithi, is probably now B hamorii. And what was B annitha is probably now Brachypelma smithi.

A quick check of this site brought up the following which may help with the name change situation re smithi.

https://tarantulaforum.com/threads/b-smithi-name-change-is-on-the-books-now.19662/
Thank you for the link. Im just getting my arms around the topic.

Its interesting that years ago when I first got my initial spider the B Smithi was referred to as the "Mexican Orange Knee" but there was another variant that was called "Mexican Red Knee" (which I assume is/was B Hamori) at shops and shows. Now I cant find ANY reference to "Orange Knee"... whatsoever. Everything directs to "red knee"

I have found at least one online vendor that is making a distinction between "Giant Mexican Red Knee" (which Im guessing is the original B. Smithi / Orange Knee/ ex Annitha ) and "Mexican Red Knee" which I guess is B Hamori...

...Whew!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you for the link. Im just getting my arms around the topic.

Its interesting that years ago when I first got my initial spider the B Smithi was referred to as the "Mexican Orange Knee" but there was another variant that was called "Mexican Red Knee" (which I assume is/was B Hamori) at shops and shows. Now I cant find ANY reference to "Orange Knee"... whatsoever. Everything directs to "red knee"

I have found at least one online vendor that is making a distinction between "Giant Mexican Red Knee" (which Im guessing is the original B. Smithi / Orange Knee/ ex Annitha ) and "Mexican Red Knee" which I guess is B Hamori...

...Whew!
They are both concidered redknees just like there are multiple redrumps.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome back to the hobby.
I had a very similar experience as I had to leave the hobby when I left my homeland 20+ years ago and got back to it about 6 years ago because of my son ;)
Looking forward to seeing all your babies!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Latest posts