• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Handling T's

Brandon Fox

3 Year Member
Hi I have acquired an 8 year old female Chilean rose, I have never handled a T, however i do want to handle her however i have my concerns and do not want to put her at risk.
Any advice?

Ghost

3 Year Member
I personally never handle any of my T's as I treat them as look and don't touch as the T gets nothing from being handled except maybe getting injured or killed if something was to go wrong.
However this is my personal opinion and I don't force this on anyone else if you really must handle your T then I would suggest that you do it over something soft like a bed or sofa to minimise the risk of the T getting hurt if it decides to make a run for it.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Keepers are fairly split on whether or not to handle, and this can be a bit of a hot button subject.

As you seem to be on the fence, I'll offer my opinion. I, personally, don't handle and see no need for it. I would never want to risk injuring the T or, quite frankly, myself. If one were to bite me, I know that my first reaction would be to yank back my hand, and that could seriously hurt or kill the T. Also, getting haired would not be much fun, so I don't need a handful of hair either. Risk of dropping it is also an issue as their abdomens can be ruptured by a relatively short fall. I also don't believe that they "enjoy" handling or the contact, merely tolerate it, and I believe that it can cause the animal unnecessary anxiety. The benefit to the animals is, well..nothing. I just don't think the rewards outweigh the risks.

Please keep in mind that G. roseas (and any species for that matter) can be unpredictable, and a T that is calm one second can become feisty another. I know that "rosies" have a rep for being docile, but I can tell you from experience, some are definitely not. If you really don't want to put her at risk, don't handle her.

Last edited:

Poec54

3 Year Member
The hobby is maturing and getting away from the old school mentality of handling. These are wild animals that should be treated with respect and kept as naturally as possible. Handling is a leading cause of bites, & the likelihood of escapes and injury to the spider are also increased. For what? The cheap thrill of holding a big hairy spider?

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
I will give MY VIEW which in no way reflects this forum or other members views,I dislike handling and will avoid at all cost. Then on the flip side,I can not judge if you do. I will however judge handling when it is done in a way as entertainment or putting the Tarantulas safety in question,since they are not there for us to misuse or abuse.

I do not believe they could be trained,since they are instinctive and do not show signs of being able to be taught. They are not made to drop,or take impacts hence the fact they have an exoskeleton which does not support the aforementioned. So a fall,will injur the tarantula since hairline fractures are possible in its exoskeleton and not always possible to see and cause it pain possible death.

I will say again,my view I would not judge. Just do not come and post,I dropped my tarantula or I was bitten. That will cause me to post,and probably judge actions that in my perception is not tasteful.

scrible

3 Year Member
I only handle my P. scrofa if he will walk into my hand on his own. I will then hold him low over his enclosure so if he falls its only a few inch drop into the relatively soft substrate. I then let him walk from one hand to the next a few times and then lay my hand back into the enclosure and let him walk off. That's the extent of it. If he wasn't usually calm I wouldn't handle him at all as I am very much on the fence, but I like having a little bit of interaction with him on a rare occasion. Also, like others said they can be very unpredictable. I swear that mine is bipolar. Most days he is calm and friendly but every now and then my P. scrofa shows a threat pose and runs around his cage like a mad spider if I lower my hand or a paintbrush down into it.

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
When I first got my G. rosea I handled her once or twice. I generally try to avoid handling my spiders, but I didn't want the first time I ever handled a spider to be when I'm not paying attention and she crawls out of her cage while I'm feeding or something like that. It's never happened with one of my T's but my wolf spider made a break for it when I was re-homing her, and I was very glad I'd held a spider before.
What really bugs me is when people handle them to show off or handle them too much. Just be prepared to take a bite w/o flinching if you do handle.

scrible

3 Year Member
And it seems like a good idea to handle that spider?

Sure I do. I can tell when he is in a decent mood. Handling him is rare, generally only to show him to people. I have handled him only three times since I have had him.

scrible

3 Year Member
Would it diminish the experience for your friends if you got bit? You know that sometimes they will bite when standing on you.

That's a risk I take. I don't care what friends and relatives think. I enjoy getting him out every now and again. Its a risk I take. Just like if you own a dog, and you let him out in the yard there is always a chance he can get out, or get off his leash, get hit by a car, who knows. I think its a persons choice if and how much they want to handle their T. Hopefully nothing will happen but I always prepare myself for the possibility. Now some of the videos I see on Youtube of people handling their aggressive T's in irresponsible and dangerous ways, now that I don't agree with. I fortunately have a mostly docile one but I know that the possibility of getting bitten exists. They are wild animals after all.

Payden King

3 Year Member
Okay. I'll share my opinion as well. Just my opinion so no need to get feisty please.

I handle all my T's. It helps me understand the T and be less afraid in a "scary situation". Again just my opinion.

Also I love handling my T's. Yeah I've gotten some hairs but that's mostly when I'm doing cage maintenance. Never when I am handling. They seem to be more comfortable outside the cage when refilling a water dish or removing excess food waste.

Also, none of my tarantulas are wild caught so have had tongs in and out of their cage their whole life and know no different so in my opinion saying "they are wild creatures" when talking about one that has been born and raised in captivity is like comparing a wolf to a house dog. Again my opinion. No hate.

Also I enjoy handling and think it does no harm or stress to the T since they have had poking and prying since they were born and I think they really don't care or know the difference. ALSO I do hold them over my bed or a couch or sit on the floor so if they want to run they can. No harm.

I've yet to be bitten or have an injured or scared T and will continue to handle. :)

Just my opinion.

Payden King

3 Year Member
If you want I hold her and decide to I would suggest a temperment stick :) use the end of a pencil or paintbrush and gently touch one of her back legs once or twice. If she tries to attack the brush or flick hairs then you know she's irritated. If she just walks away or shuffles away you should be safe to handle :) you can either gently touch her legs to guide her out of the enclosure that way she is entering your territory instead of you hers or even gently scoop her up with both hands so she feels secure and not like she is falling or being poked. :) I use both methods just depends on the tarantula and the situation :) hope this helps if you decide to handle her!!

BossRoss

3 Year Member
I try to avoid handling at all costs.... However there have been times during a rehousing where the need arose to handle my Ts.

I have never been bit and I probably wouldn't jerk my hand away(bad experiences of jerking limbs in another hobby has taught me well). I feel that observing the Ts is the best.

Should you really want to handle a T, make sure it is well fed and in a "happy" mood(someone mentioned a method above to give the T a small nudge with something soft and see its reaction-do that). Handle close to the ground, in an environment that is sealed... You will be surprised the speed a T can get up to when the have some open space.

Out of curiosity how do you know the T is 8 years old?

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I treat my Ts like fish (only more interesting :p ). They are display animals and luckily most of mine are always visible (even the Boehmei since being rehoused, yay! Only the LP sling is not, because it's in an opaque tub and so tiny).
I'm too paranoid I make a mistake and the T end up paying the price.
At the end of the day it's up to each keeper. It's their animal and as long as they don't hurt it intentionally I see no problem.

Poec54

3 Year Member
I handle all my T's. It helps me understand the T and be less afraid in a "scary situation".

Also, none of my tarantulas are wild caught so have had tongs in and out of their cage their whole life and know no different so in my opinion saying "they are wild creatures" when talking about one that has been born and raised in captivity is like comparing a wolf to a house dog.

Also I enjoy handling and think it does no harm or stress to the T since they have had poking and prying since they were born and I think they really don't care or know the difference.

To clarify a few points:
- Handling tarantulas doesn't help understand them, it's an artificial situation that doesn't occur in the wild: what holds them there also tends to eat them. Handling causes stress whether you choose to acknowledge it or not. Just because they don't bite doesn't mean they're happy that Godzilla picked them up. Observing them act naturally in their cages is how to understand them.

- In 'scary situations' you do not want to be using your fingers, as that's what gets bit. Experienced owners use a catch cup. Even docile species will bite in scary situations. In fact, docile species are responsible for more bites than defensive ones, because people handle docile ones.

- Tarantulas are invertebrates driven by instinct. It doesn't matter where they were hatched or are living, they're going to do what thousands of years of evolution has taught them to do. That means their cage is their territory, and at times they will defend it from intruders, no what how benevolent your intentions. I've owned thousands of tarantulas over the last 40 years, both wild caught and CBB. I've seen no difference in behavior between the two groups.

- It took thousands of years to domesticate dogs, and they're intelligent, social animals. Tarantulas are solitary, cannibalistic, and far less intelligent. It will take significantly longer to domesticate and alter the behavior of captive tarantulas. The wolf/dog analogy is totally inapplicable to spiders.

- Using your reasoning, CBB OBT's should be as tame as a Brachypelma. Likewise, CBB venomous snakes are not 'wild animals' either, and should be easy to handle. You would have no problem picking up a CBB black mamba then?

Last edited:

Poec54

3 Year Member
I try to avoid handling at all costs.... However there have been times during a rehousing where the need arose to handle my Ts.

Most of my collection is tropical (which means high strung) and 2/3's are OW. Trust me, there have been no times during the frequent rehousings I have to do where it has ever been necessary to handle one of them. I'm 40+ years in the hobby and bite-free.

Last edited:

Brandon Fox

3 Year Member

I have never been bit and I probably wouldn't jerk my hand away(bad experiences of jerking limbs in another hobby has taught me well). I feel that observing the Ts is the best.

Should you really want to handle a T, make sure it is well fed and in a "happy" mood(someone mentioned a method above to give the T a small nudge with something soft and see its reaction-do that). Handle close to the ground, in an environment that is sealed... You will be surprised the speed a T can get up to when the have some open space.

Out of curiosity how do you know the T is 8 years old?

The friend that i acquired the T from had her since she was a spiderling

Latest posts