• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Habitat size

Captain Firecat

3 Year Member
How squashy are young spiders? I've found some brachypelma vagans that are 1-1.5cm body and 2.5cm legspan, which sounds big enough it won't be slipping through the ventilation slits (I'm guessing a few mm), but then octopuses are huge but squash down when they want to get out...

That won't be escaping will it... The more I think about it the less likely it seems!

Found some stuff in a pet shop for lizards/snakes/spiders that is a little block you drop in water and pomf it expands up and 'retains moisture well'. Given I won't be needing all that much humidity I assume I can pomf the stuff so it expands then leave it to dry somewhere then use that. I can easily get potting soil, but it just feels like that would be mouldy in no time, given it's designed to grow plants in, but I'm guessing I'm missing something there as it seems to come highly recommended all over. Vermiculite is also fairly easy for me to get hold of as it's good for snakes laying eggs so I tend to have it around the house, but that seems to be used for the more humid set ups so I'm thinking I won't need to use it.

Morgan94

3 Year Member
How squashy are young spiders? I've found some brachypelma vagans that are 1-1.5cm body and 2.5cm legspan, which sounds big enough it won't be slipping through the ventilation slits (I'm guessing a few mm), but then octopuses are huge but squash down when they want to get out...

That won't be escaping will it... The more I think about it the less likely it seems!

Found some stuff in a pet shop for lizards/snakes/spiders that is a little block you drop in water and pomf it expands up and 'retains moisture well'. Given I won't be needing all that much humidity I assume I can pomf the stuff so it expands then leave it to dry somewhere then use that. I can easily get potting soil, but it just feels like that would be mouldy in no time, given it's designed to grow plants in, but I'm guessing I'm missing something there as it seems to come highly recommended all over. Vermiculite is also fairly easy for me to get hold of as it's good for snakes laying eggs so I tend to have it around the house, but that seems to be used for the more humid set ups so I'm thinking I won't need to use it.
Just make sure your vent holes are smaller than the tarantulas abdomen. Also for substrate I use a coco fiber and sphagnum moss mix

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Just make sure your vent holes are smaller than the tarantulas abdomen. Also for substrate I use a coco fiber and sphagnum moss mix
Vents need to be smaller than the prosoma. If the front fits they will either be able to squeeze the rest through or injure themselves trying.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi captain firecat.
Which Exo-Terra enclosure did you go for in the end ?

Sym

Captain Firecat

3 Year Member
It was a PT2310 which has a good grippy lid (struggled to take it off) and handy doors in top for feeding etc. My only concern is that I can imagine the T chewing through the plastic grill lid and running amock around the house!

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It was a PT2310 which has a good grippy lid (struggled to take it off) and handy doors in top for feeding etc. My only concern is that I can imagine the T chewing through the plastic grill lid and running amock around the house!
I have heard of this happening on the forums a couple of times but I have never witnessed anything like it. I tend to find the T's wander quite a bit in a new enclosure but once they settle in, they calm down and if conditions are correct they have no reason to try to escape. Avoid males if you have any concerns as they tend to be more active and are always looking for love once they mature. Stick with the females. I have 6 Exo Terra tanks and the are solid. I do use the Exo Terra locks though. Again, helps me remember to lock the enclosures after feeding and maintenance.

Captain Firecat

3 Year Member
I have heard of this happening on the forums a couple of times but I have never witnessed anything like it. I tend to find the T's wander quite a bit in a new enclosure but once they settle in, they calm down and if conditions are correct they have no reason to try to escape. Avoid males if you have any concerns as they tend to be more active and are always looking for love once they mature. Stick with the females. I have 6 Exo Terra tanks and the are solid. I do use the Exo Terra locks though. Again, helps me remember to lock the enclosures after feeding and maintenance.

What sort of lids do they have?

I'm not concerned about the lid being pushed off, mostly as I intend to tape it down! :)

Latest posts