• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting ready for my first T's - Any advice/suggestions appreciated!

JennieBug

3 Year Member
I mentioned this is my intro, but my very first sling T's will be arriving tomorrow! I only planned on getting one but happy ended up with two ^^ I've been reading a ton about setups and at some point the reading and doing always end up not quite exact. I know my slings will be .5"-.75" - the containers I got from Michael's Arts and Crafts store were 2.5x2.5" wide (drilled holes along the top lid), so a little double their legs span. Since WA weather is almost always chaotic I decided I wanted to make a micro-climate with one of my spare tanks. I'm really wanting to use a "smaller" tank for this to save room, but I totally didn't realize my spare heat mat was for 10-20g tanks not the 2.5 I wanted to use. which brings me to my main question:

Would using a relatively low watt reptile heat lamp only setup on the outside of the tank be okay? My concern wasn't really going towards the slings getting too warm but more the effect of the lamp so near the glass....lol - not that its butt up against it, but its near enough to bump the temp up to where I want it to be.

Here are some photo's of the setup(s) and some temps that have been pretty steady these past couple hours.

3UGUwFkl.jpg

8AS85QKl.jpg

It won't normally be that bright, I plan on blocking out a few sides of the tank so that my gecko's light doesnt bother the slings.

Anything else you might want to point out or suggest would be much much much appreciated.

Jenniebug!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would strongle suggest agains a light of any kind. It's not necessary and the Ts won't appreciate it at all lol
You really don't need any heat source or a micro climate unless you keep your house at 60* or below.

JennieBug

3 Year Member
I'll pick up a smaller heat mat on my way home today and make a thermostat. Our house rarely stays in the 70s sadly...its usually pretty chilled out in our room since we rent in the downstairs basement of the house. Ty for those suggestions and will make those changes!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok, just put the small heat mat on the side of an enclosure , or indirect to the enclosures inside the larger enclosure.
direct heat can be dangerous with Ts. You might want to pick up a small rheostat to regulate temps.
Good Luck.

JennieBug

3 Year Member
They ARE inside an heated enclosure inside their own personal enclosure, I just was unsure if the lamp keeping the overall temp of the bigger tank (along the side wall) would work just the same or not, but I know mats distribute a whole lot better and then the black light issue is resolved. I'm actually in the processes of making the thermostat/rheostat right now...screw buying one. lol Oh and the babies came! I have them in a warmer room in the house at the moment while I sort out this heating issue. They look awesome, I'll post pictures soon. Thank you Kenny for all the help!

JennieBug

3 Year Member
I'm pretty sure the G. Pulchripes is going to need a smaller container though, looks much smaller in person than looking at 1/2" on a measuring tape.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Trantulas are measure by diagonal leg span, not body length. Just a note for future reference.

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
Personally wouldn't use any other heat source other then a space heater or a warm air humidifier. And I was keeping T's at 65 degrees without a problem. But because my collection has broadened and I plan on attempting some breeding within a year, I need to speed up some molts and whatnot, so I invested in a space heater, which I will then be adding a warm air humidifier as well in the future so that the space heater does not soak up so much of the humidity. I already live in a desert!

JennieBug

3 Year Member
Does this look a bit better? I have a small container with water in there as well to keep the humidity up a bit. I see some micro-climates with soil flooring to keep that up, but read it isn't necessary. I also had foam left over from Paul's shipping box that I added to a couple sides of the tank and part of the lid which bumped the temp up a tad more, 76*F. I took a couple photos of the slings too but I'll post them in another thread.

sANCturl.jpg

JennieBug

3 Year Member
Humidity isn't a problem in WA. lol cold temperatures however are drastic and can change on a dime. I also live in a basement room with concrete floors and easily drops in the low 60s and even 50s so I need to keep some type of heat source going. We aren't allowed to have a space heater in here. I rent here so I don't really have a say in that.

JennieBug

3 Year Member
We have fire places in this house... Mind you I'm in the middle of a forest so we go out and chop some wood! They very rarely use their heater. If we are cold (and I mean freezing) we might run the house heater but that is rare.

Latest posts