• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Funniest moment with a T

spodermin

Occasionally one of my T's will make me die laughing by doing something 'cute' or just downright stupid. What is the funniest thing you can recall one of your spiders doing?

Mine would definitely be the time I was feeding my female T. Stirmi, which is around 7". She was up on her ledge (which had moss hanging down off of it at the time (picture)), and I put a cricket near her. It went to walk away, and she lunged at it with such force that she missed her footing and slowly went for a tumble over the ledge, cricket in mouth. Half of the moss came down with her, and she just layed at the bottom upside down on her back eating the cricket, and only flipped back upright after about 30 seconds or so. It was the funniest thing ever, how apathetic she was to fall like 6 or 7 inches, tangled in moss and land on her back, because she was so happy she got the cricket. Priceless.

What is yours?

Attachments

• IMG_20190428_063806.jpg
    IMG_20190428_063806.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 40

nedaK

My funniest/scariest moment was when I used a catch cup to rehouse my skeleton leg and I had to put it in the enclosure when it was still holding on to the lid and I ended up just leaving the lid in there. I even bribed it to move with food but it just grabbed the dubia lightning quick and got back on the lid lightning quick threat posing whenever I tried to take the lid.
you can see it standing on the cup lid

MrKrowe

CC14A97D-8E28-4DAF-BCF0-81AB79B78DCE.jpeg

Just this. The one in the foreground is an old mature male Aphonopelma chalcodes. The one in the background is a large sub-adult female Theraphosa stirmi. Prior to being put into the tank he was curling up and losing the ability to walk. The minute he realised what was going on he ran and climbed like a spider half his age.

I don’t blame him. At least it was fairly quick.

Not really funny, but the spider world is cold-hearted.

spodermin

View attachment 38475

Just this. The one in the foreground is an old mature male Aphonopelma chalcodes. The one in the background is a large sub-adult female Theraphosa stirmi. Prior to being put into the tank he was curling up and losing the ability to walk. The minute he realised what was going on he ran and climbed like a spider half his age.

I don’t blame him. At least it was fairly quick.

Not really funny, but the spider world is cold-hearted.

That's hilarious, but what was he doing in there to begin with? Were you just giving him up as a snack? Hahaa

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
To me, the funniest thing is spp like obts, who'll fall on their back in a threat pose and just freeze. You can scoop them up in cups and just slide them out of the cup into their enclosure. Still on their back, still locked in their most fearsome threat pose..funny af..

spodermin

To me, the funniest thing is spp like obts, who'll fall on their back in a threat pose and just freeze. You can scoop them up in cups and just slide them out of the cup into their enclosure. Still on their back, still locked in their most fearsome threat pose..funny af..

Yeah I have to agree, the first time I saw an OBT lose its **** I was almost in tears laughing. Idk why its its funny but it is

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Personally, if I can't find a female for my MMs, I like to release them on my property, before they get too bad. I live in S Texas, so they have 9 months out of my year to live freely. They can seek out local female sp to breed with, but nothing will come of it. They can dig a hole, or appropriate one and stay in the ground, or do like my last mm avic and make a home in my stables. Nothing wrong with other methods of dealing with MM spiders, I just kind of like my method best. Anthropomorphizing, maybe. I feel like I'm freeing them. They probably feel like they've been thrown from safety into a lions den. Which is technically true, with all the predators around..its better than freezing, which I've done, and I've had a few females eat males, which is not enjoyable at all. It takes forever for them to finish that big meal, I usually cover the glass..anyway, watching them slowly deteriorate sucks. Just like with any other living thing. I hope I go out fast and furious, and full of life.

MrKrowe

Personally, if I can't find a female for my MMs, I like to release them on my property, before they get too bad. I live in S Texas, so they have 9 months out of my year to live freely. They can seek out local female sp to breed with, but nothing will come of it. They can dig a hole, or appropriate one and stay in the ground, or do like my last mm avic and make a home in my stables. Nothing wrong with other methods of dealing with MM spiders, I just kind of like my method best. Anthropomorphizing, maybe. I feel like I'm freeing them. They probably feel like they've been thrown from safety into a lions den. Which is technically true, with all the predators around..its better than freezing, which I've done, and I've had a few females eat males, which is not enjoyable at all. It takes forever for them to finish that big meal, I usually cover the glass..anyway, watching them slowly deteriorate sucks. Just like with any other living thing. I hope I go out fast and furious, and full of life.

It’s a nice thought that somewhere in South Texas there’s a retirement home full of doddering old male spiders, all chewing tobacco and complaining that it was better in the good old days.

spodermin

On the subject of spastic spiders... My little balfouri that threw me a threat posture now does it every time I even touch the enclosure, OBT style on its back having a tantrum. I have it in a container with a screw top, and when I was closing the container today it was on its back getting spun by the lid. Funniest thing Ive ever seen, it just ragdolled and let the lid spin it like a cog while in threat posture

Latest posts