• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Found a roaming tarantula

Mrzellama

Anyone have any idea on what kind it may be, I'm in British Columbia Canada.
Also is keeping it seem awful or nah

20190111_184252.jpg

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Probably a relative, the spinnerets look "tarantula-like", much like those on trapdoors and other tarantula relatives.
I would put it in an enclosure with a few inches of coco peat and some above ground decor, mist one end and let the spider choose it's preferred home.

Mrzellama

Probably a relative, the spinnerets look "tarantula-like", much like those on trapdoors and other tarantula relatives.
I would put it in an enclosure with a few inches of coco peat and some above ground decor, mist one end and let the spider choose it's preferred home.
That's how I felt about the spinnerets, I'm going to use some of the substrate I got with my Brazilian black since that's all I have at the moment and mist a side, thank you :)

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's how I felt about the spinnerets, I'm going to use some of the substrate I got with my Brazilian black since that's all I have at the moment and mist a side, thank you :)
Why not? You've got nothing to lose!
The only thing I would look for is if it has it's "boxing gloves" on, which would indicate a male looking for a female to impregnate. This would mean that perhaps it is nearing the end of it's lifespan and might not be a good candidate for captivity.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No, not that I can see. It's probably the wrong time of year in Canada for most spiders to be mating in any case.
I'd be interested to see an update when it settles in.
Often surveys are done cataloguing the species in an area, especially if there is a National Park nearby. I often look for these to quickly identify a species rather than try to key it out.

Mrzellama

No, not that I can see. It's probably the wrong time of year in Canada for most spiders to be mating in any case.
I'd be interested to see an update when it settles in.
Often surveys are done cataloguing the species in an area, especially if there is a National Park nearby. I often look for these to quickly identify a species rather than try to key it out.
I am on Vancouver Island i wouldn't be surprised if there was a survey being done, they don't seem well documented here although.
I'll keep you in mind if I am successful housing it :)

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
I "took in" two small spiders(fixed enclosures etc and have been feeding) - they were in my home shortly after the weather got really cold (ordinarily I put them outside or just let them web or do whatever) but they were in the kitchen(lots of traffic)...low and behold today i noticed that one of them(some kind of ordinary house spider) has blessed me with slings...LOL. The other one is a tiny jumping spider - I love to watch it motor around! Spiders are SO amazing!

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Pacific north west trapdoor spider... a relative of the tarantula that lives on west coast Canada... really cool.. up to 3 inch long females can live 25 years.
Thanks for the answer, although the OP has not been on, at least not with that name, since Jan. 12, 2019, one day after he made the post.
Maybe you knew. I have been known to respond to inactive posts from years past not realizing when they were posted.

Welcome to the forums.

MBullock

3 Year Member
Pacific north west trapdoor spider... a relative of the tarantula that lives on west coast Canada... really cool.. up to 3 inch long females can live 25 years.
Antrodiaetus do not live that long or reach that size ever. Biggest they get is approx. 2" or so in legspan.. trapdoors are all body and short limbs.

Latest posts