• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First Old World?

timc

3 Year Member
Oh FYI,

I placed another order yesterday from Swifts

B.homorii
C.darling (my little short stack wanted a dwarf)
It’s been years since I’ve ordered from Swift’s but they do provide outstanding products you won’t be disappointed. But darlingi isn’t a dwarf. They max out around 5 inches.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think the mistakes many new keepers make is assuming all sp of tarantula have similar needs and tolerances. This often includes a desire to interact with and handle.

OWs, specifically, come from more adverse climates and are instinctive survivors and are ill-tolerant of our mistakes and shortcomings in their care and keeping.

We have all seen arboreals kept like terrestrials and we have all seen terrestrials kept on 1/2" of loose substrate in a 10 gallon tank. These make for stressful situations for the animal, and many do not do well and perish under such circumstances. If a more "assertive" animal sees a way out of a bad situation, it's very possibly going to take it. If that deems an animal aggressive, then we are responsible for its aggression.
I like our Minax :( she’s never thrown a threat posture or shown fangs. Even during rehousing she tried to hide and moved predictably when given encouragement with a brush. ( we got lucky obv :) ) The most defensive T we had was a juv A Genic. It would threat posture all the time , bite anything you put near it and just straight up be a ****.

Mine was wild caught. Probably had a lot to do with it, as well, lol. I've had plenty of T's that were defensive but minax was the top of the list for me. Someone might have an OBT at the top of the list for them....or you have genic at the top of yours perhaps? Its just different for everyone, I guess. :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I like our Minax :( she’s never thrown a threat posture or shown fangs. Even during rehousing she tried to hide and moved predictably when given encouragement with a brush. ( we got lucky obv :) ) The most defensive T we had was a juv A Genic. It would threat posture all the time , bite anything you put near it and just straight up be a ****.

Ugh!!!! I take that back!!! It was a vonworthi!!!! Urrrghhh damn me to spider hell! Roflol. My age is catching up with me..... lol.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Redsycthe, if you did get a C. darlingi, you picked a good first OW spider. The horns are cool, they tend to stay out in the open, and; although my experience is with only 2 specimens, they tend to be very chill.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine was wild caught. Probably had a lot to do with it, as well, lol. I've had plenty of T's that were defensive but minax was the top of the list for me. Someone might have an OBT at the top of the list for them....or you have genic at the top of yours perhaps? Its just different for everyone, I guess. :)
Yeah wild caught might do it , imagine living in Thailand your whole life then one day you wake up and your in USA. I’d be pretty angry :D it’s Genic for now but the Uthai Thani could do with rehousing and I’m not looking forward to it :/

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah wild caught might do it , imagine living in Thailand your whole life then one day you wake up and your in USA. I’d be pretty angry :D it’s Genic for now but the Uthai Thani could do with rehousing and I’m not looking forward to it :/

Hell, I think ANYTHING would be pissed off if it ended up in the USA during these times....FR!!!!

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Landing strip!!! All tarantulas must have one...
for....you know....when they're imported....on a plane....cargo? Lol. Nm....hehehe

I'd hate to see them wearing an afro....beehive....bush....whatever the hell you wanna call it....

Ok. Nm. I'm done.
I think most Ts go for the 'Hollywood' where possible lol ;)

steaksauce357

I'm a newbie myself but jumped into old worlds right away (I deal with live high-amp electrical/mechanical thingies that could kill me so being cautious is apart of everyday life), my Harpactira pulchripes is my most calm T new worlds included. I picked it up due to info that it likes to be out, "is pretty chill", looks amazing. It is a baboon though. Mine "goes home" every night and chills in the hide and when the sun's out goes to work webbing everything it might have missed lol. Just chills when the enclosure is moved or the top opened. My OBT, Selenocosmia kovariki (AWESOME BURROWER/ WEBBER), O. phillipinus on the other hand require the catch cup ready anytime the enclosure is opened lol. Long tongs mentioned before and having a wide open floor (I don't like a large secondary container, rather be able to cup immediately on a flat surface without obstructions) and most importantly not becoming complacent.

Redsycthe

So, bringing this back. After thought and considerate reply. I believe my next purchase is going to be some OWs.

That curio cabinet is going to be utilized. I'm really leaning on my normal purchase by 3 rule. Hows this??

C. fimbriatus
P. Regalis
O. violaceopes

I kind of want a nice mix, please give me your constructive criticism, kind thoughts etc...

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So, bringing this back. After thought and considerate reply. I believe my next purchase is going to be some OWs.

That curio cabinet is going to be utilized. I'm really leaning on my normal purchase by 3 rule. Hows this??

C. fimbriatus
P. Regalis
O. violaceopes

I kind of want a nice mix, please give me your constructive criticism, kind thoughts etc...

C. fimbriatus are prolific webbers. You will rarely see them, although when they do make an appearance they are quite lovely. P. regalis is an awesome OW to start with (imo). O. violaceopes are gorgeous and I think you will love keeping that one. They are all a tad "flighty" but if you're comfortable with them and have researched then go for it. Other great beginner OW species would be Monocentropus balfouri and Ceratogyrus darlingi. :)

Redsycthe

C. fimbriatus are prolific webbers. You will rarely see them, although when they do make an appearance they are quite lovely. P. regalis is an awesome OW to start with (imo). O. violaceopes are gorgeous and I think you will love keeping that one. They are all a tad "flighty" but if you're comfortable with them and have researched then go for it. Other great beginner OW species would be Monocentropus balfouri and Ceratogyrus darlingi. :)
I was also looking a P. tigerwessli any difference with the P. regalis?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Poecilotheria tigrinawesseli don't get as large as regalis

Instead of 3 different species, why not 3 of the same species? More chances of females that way...

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I was also looking a P. tigerwessli any difference with the P. regalis?

Ahhh "Tigerwessels" (something I like to call them, lol).....in my opinion are more beautiful than regalis. One of my top 5 favorite poecies (highland being my most desirable).