• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First Old World?

Redsycthe

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to get some opinions on first Old World acquisition. I currently have New World only and eventually want to get an Old World. I really want a P. Regalis but I am not ready yet. What would you guys recommend. Many I have read say P.irmani which is still New World. But... what about Chilobrachy's

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'd just get the regalis. A lot less hassle than the irminia or any Chilobrachys species in my experience.
Start with a spiderling and your confidence will grow along with the spider. After a while you will realise that their reputation is very over blown and they are actually quite boring spiders to keep. Just don't get complacent.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I take that back....you definitely don't need a C. minax, lol. Imo, not even experienced keepers need those!!! Roflmao.

Redsycthe

Thanx guys,

@Casey K. LoL not doing a Thailand Black. Really was eying a Nepalese Black Femur. Just worried about defensiveness. My daughter said no to a baboon species. Even though I I like the Scotra Island Blue. Just pondering the future.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanx guys,

@Casey K. LoL not doing a Thailand Black. Really was eying a Nepalese Black Femur. Just worried about defensiveness. My daughter said no to a baboon species. Even though I I like the Scotra Island Blue. Just pondering the future.

Do you know the scientific name for that black femur? Sorry....it's been years since I used common names. I've gotten used to using scientific names because common names change often and sometimes are the same for different species.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ready is relative, it's a mindset. Any animal can be defensive, how you keep and interact with it will determine whether yours is inclined to be defensive or not.

Do your research.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ready is relative, it's a mindset. Any animal can be defensive, how you keep and interact with it will determine whether yours is inclined to be defensive or not.

Do your research.

Horse****. How you keep and interact with an animal does not determine whether a tarantula is defensive or not. That's just nature. Example: The most defensive tarantula I have ever owned was a C. minax. If she were my size she would've kicked my ass over and over again, lol. It had nothing to dk with how I interacted with her or how I kept her. She was just pure damn evil!!! (Sarcastically joking) Now, there are some people that interact differently to a defensive tarantula but it doesn't make the tarantula more/less defensive.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Horse****. How you keep and interact with an animal does not determine whether a tarantula is defensive or not. That's just nature. Example: The most defensive tarantula I have ever owned was a C. minax. If she were my size she would've kicked my ass over and over again, lol. It had nothing to dk with how I interacted with her or how I kept her. She was just pure damn evil!!! (Sarcastically joking) Now, there are some people that interact differently to a defensive tarantula but it doesn't make the tarantula more/less defensive.
Incorrect husbandry and obnoxious interference on the part of the keeper can encourage a spider to be MORE defensive than it is naturally inclined to be. That is not horsepucky, it is fact, but we each see things our own way.

Research is still the best game in town :T:

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Incorrect husbandry and obnoxious interference on the part of the keeper can encourage a spider to be MORE defensive than it is naturally inclined to be. That is not horsepucky, it is fact, but we each see things our own way.

Research is still the best game in town :T:

Yeah, I thought of that right after I submitted my response. Environmental factors could play a major role. Example: keeping a desert species in a tropical enclosure. I will say there is some controversy on how to keep slings that are captive born. Usually, you can keep them how you want to keep them because they were born in captivity and not subjected to their natural environment, however, genetics could call me out on this theory.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think the mistakes many new keepers make is assuming all sp of tarantula have similar needs and tolerances. This often includes a desire to interact with and handle.

OWs, specifically, come from more adverse climates and are instinctive survivors and are ill-tolerant of our mistakes and shortcomings in their care and keeping.

We have all seen arboreals kept like terrestrials and we have all seen terrestrials kept on 1/2" of loose substrate in a 10 gallon tank. These make for stressful situations for the animal, and many do not do well and perish under such circumstances. If a more "assertive" animal sees a way out of a bad situation, it's very possibly going to take it. If that deems an animal aggressive, then we are responsible for its aggression.

Redsycthe

Ceratogyrus. Pretty chill in terms of an OW and some are unicorns. Unicorns.
Do you know the scientific name for that black femur? Sorry....it's been years since I used common names. I've gotten used to using scientific names because common names change often and sometimes are the same for different species.
Yeah, I'm trying to build the scientific names in my auto text. I have this thing about misspelling and trying over and over to go out of the forum and Google, it's a pain in a**. I was on a certain...."other board" at first. I misspelled once and literally got throat punched through the phone. I know grammar and punctuation are important, for some if not many it's a pet peeve when it's done improperly.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I like our Minax :( she’s never thrown a threat posture or shown fangs. Even during rehousing she tried to hide and moved predictably when given encouragement with a brush. ( we got lucky obv :) ) The most defensive T we had was a juv A Genic. It would threat posture all the time , bite anything you put near it and just straight up be a ****.

timc

3 Year Member
Yeah, I'm trying to build the scientific names in my auto text. I have this thing about misspelling and trying over and over to go out of the forum and Google, it's a pain in a**. I was on a certain...."other board" at first. I misspelled once and literally got throat punched through the phone. I know grammar and punctuation are important, for some if not many it's a pet peeve when it's done improperly.
I hear you. I’m pretty big on grammar and spelling myself but we are working with a dead language here and i’m not going to pretend i can spell Acanthoscurria off the top of my head (totally looked that up). The other board has its own whole set of...issues. Some really fantastic information can be found if one is willing to wade through all the condescension.
Anyhow, the binomial names come easier with time. It took me a couple of years to feel confident enough to pronounce pterinochilus lol (not that anyone I know in real life knows scientific names but that’s for another thread...)

Latest posts