• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

first loss !!!

Charlotte

3 Year Member
Hi spidey noob,

Sorry to hear those little pests have returned, especially after all the time you spent cleaning out all the enclosures.

(I've read the previous post)

Do you have any idea why they keep returning? I hope you haven't lost any more Ts.

I received my Avic Purpurea today and she arrived dead, I'm gutted!

I hope you find a solution soon.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Charlotte, sorry to hear that it sucks when you get a DOA,

Noob, sorry man...keep us posted, good luck to ya.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i found more mites today in the avic enclosures :mad::mad::mad:
Are you keeping it moist in there? I keep my Avics on dry substrate. If not, then it could be that there's some hidden bolus in there that's attracting them.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
@Charlotte
Sorry to hear abought your loss :confused: I have no idea how there still there . Havnt lost any more Ts & I can't see any mites on then !!!

@Entity
Thanks &I will

@Chubbs
The sub is moist , but it's all brand new as I 're done all my Ts a few days ago so can't be any bolus in there.

basically I have put the all enclosures in the microwave for 5 min each on full power there's no way they could survive that :D
I also bleached the inside of the Viv.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd suggest keeping the Avics on dry sub. Mine seem to do better with less moisture.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
hi all, i think i may have found the source !!! (my dubai collony)
i have been keeping 3 x 80tl tubs of feeders on top of my vivs, (crickets & roaches) so i cant be shure witch one has caused the out break but it was deffinatly caused buy the feeders due to them duying/decaying before i got them out !!! while i was washing the vivs down yesterday i took the roach collony of the top, & when when i looked in side of it the dubai has visable mites on them & quite a few of them. :( the mites must of been traveling out the roach collony & down in to the vivs witch would explain why iv had more of a problem in the top viv than the bottom !!! i have got rid of all feeders i have at presant just to be shure & im just going to buy & bin what i dont use the same day until i get rid of any left over mites.
no visable signs of mites at the minute but i bet there are a few straglers left !!!

here are the steps i took ;) (must find source of the mites asap)
VIVS
1, take all Ts out of the vivs & place them away from the vivs, (i placed Ts from on viv on one side of the room & the Ts from the other viv on the other side just to be shure mites from one could not pass to the other)
2,strip the vivs (heat mats/glass/ect)
3, wash them out with a mild bleach solution i used (1tp per 1lt) then rince it out & allow it to dry out then rince & dry twice more. (just to be shure)
4, wash all equipment (same mild bleach as vivs & 3 x rince & dry).
5, repeat steps 1 to 4 daily for at least two weeks after u last seen a might !!!

Ts (started moveing Ts into temp containers (i done 4 at a time)
6, for the small enclosures i just put the whole enclosure in the microwave for 5 minutes each & alowed them to cool & put Ts back in.
7, for larger enclosures i had to take the substrate out & microwave it in sections, i boil washed the enclosure & water bowl, then put Ts back in.
8, place all enclosures back in vivs.
9, repeat steps 6 to 8 as needed.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
hi all, i found another dead a,versi tonight :(
i was worried abought this T a couple of days ago as i was acting wierd before i went to work !!! but buy the time i got back from work it had moultd so i just put the behivour down to that !!! (i was wrong :() i have been checking both Ts & enclosures daily after work & i havent seen
any mites at all !!! (but there was a couple of them on the dead T :confused::confused::confused:)
im going to get a magnifying glass in the morning, i cant see them with my naked eye there just to small !!!
these little f**ks are super anoying to deal with :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think I will have a good look in my enclosures tonight when I get home..
Hope you sort it out :)

spidey noob

3 Year Member
thanks all :)
i managed to get these this morning & they work a treat ;) (magnafing glass)

i have had another look at the avics with these on & i can see mites on them !!! but there was none walking around the enclosure !!!
i also rang local rep shop & tss for some advice, both agreed that nukeing the enclosure for 5 min in the microwave should kill any mites in the enclosure. but also said i will need to remove the mites of the Ts buy brushing them off in a seprate tub.
exactly how i will do this with slings i dont no ??? (but i should be good with the larger Ts)

plan of action
im going to separate the two vivs & put one on each side of the room to hope fully stop them spreading as much, then im going to nuke all enclosures again & try to remove any mites i seen on the Ts buy brushing them off. if any one has an idea on how to remove mites from slings i would appricate the help ???

one last thing !!!
the spider guy in the rep shop told me not to dry the substrate out untill i have got rid of the mites !!!as if i have moist substrate they will happly just walk abought the enclosure makeing them easier to see & remove, but if u dry the substrate out they will go looking for a source of hummidty wich only leaves the Ts or the water bowl as there source ???

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@spidey noob Thank you for posting that info, I'm saving it in case I ever need it. I hope you get on rid of them soon.

If you cut a hole in the lid of a vial just big enough to slot a soft brush through, put the sling in the vial and brush it, would that work?

spidey noob

3 Year Member
hi all,
just finished doing the Ts & enclosures in the top viv, 13 out of the 14 the enclosures were 100% mite free (includeing Ts) but there was 1 T that had a few mites on its underside witch i have managed to remove useing this !!! (but there was no mites walking round its enclosure)

i also nuked all the tubs in the microwave again !!!