• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

feeding the tarantula-help!

beni1234

3 Year Member
hello, i wanted to ask is "katydids" or as they also called "bush crickets" are ok food for my tarantula??
tnx for answering!;)

londelsh

3 Year Member
hello, i wanted to ask is "katydids" or as they also called "bush crickets" are ok food for my tarantula??
tnx for answering!;)
I shouldn't see why not they are still crickets in the end. They're the same species as crickets and grasshoppers which I feed my T's.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Had to look up the orange mouth, haven't heard that common name before :) It's the P. reduncus.

Last edited:

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
tnx for answering!;)
Are they wild caught? If so then no not really.
Wild caught prey beings a huge risk of issues including parasite issues.
If not and your sure of the source go for it.

Last edited:

timc

3 Year Member
Most tarantulas aren't picky and will eat anything they can over power. However if it's wild caught I wouldn't use it as @Kymura said. Too many things could be wrong from parasites to pesticides. But crickets, roaches, worms, assorted larvae, locusts, mice, lizards, moths, frogs, anything they can sink their fangs into really will get turned into calories and poop.

Telson

3 Year Member
Personally I wouldn't choose a katydid, any of them, as tarantula food. They could, and will certainly try, to fight back. They ain't no joke, either, and could very well do some damage. There are much better options.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Personally I wouldn't choose a katydid, any of them, as tarantula food. They could, and will certainly try, to fight back. They ain't no joke, either, and could very well do some damage. There are much better options.
so will crickets, and they're one of the, if not the, top feeders out there. Roaches are the safest prey, but you can't get them everywhere.

Telson

3 Year Member
I saw a katydid awhile back that had a three inch leg span. It didnt look like a cricket, it looked like a large predator. I would give it to one of my large sp, but not say, my four inch B boehmei..that could end with a three legged spider. Thats all I meant. They aint crickets ;)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
cicada are the ones you don't want to feed, they'll eat whatever is trying to eat them ;) they have one of the most powerfull mandibles in the bug world, not to mention the spiked legs to hold their prey, kinda like the mantids. katydid yeah you'd want something much larger to eat it that it wouldn't have as much of a chance at hurting when it fights back.

I want those huge beetle larvae they get in the UK (is it still the UK now?) excellent source of nutrition and so large you only need to feed them once every couple weeks ;)

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
cicada are the ones you don't want to feed, they'll eat whatever is trying to eat them ;) they have one of the most powerfull mandibles in the bug world, not to mention the spiked legs to hold their prey, kinda like the mantids. katydid yeah you'd want something much larger to eat it that it wouldn't have as much of a chance at hurting when it fights back.

I want those huge beetle larvae they get in the UK (is it still the UK now?) excellent source of nutrition and so large you only need to feed them once every couple weeks ;)

I have been looking for those beetle larvae myself. Getting some wax worms to try this weekend.:)

PinkT

3 Year Member
Good to hear about why not to feed "natural" insects". We have a young katydid in our garden and someone said we should feed it to our tarantula. The thought of doing that scares me because of the size. I'll be sticking to crickets. Thanks!

0R0a3Eo0vNSbHBJMUPXUWcq1xlMsesf03jmc-AFDmEt8hV5ty1EYRSwsnv8ptu8AuOQTnhkTnJtaF76KmwXx_NkoKv-euvSkICZMMedVCYvIg0X3y7CjRcGQykTB_doXar7qra4jNV4bN_tCpQoXTcgJbOvE1WH_S9MKr01DyKm6cwvy1YDhHar3a38vLKkoq24_7KP8BI9xu1G5PVLcaCXBqjM8PpLDUAgsBUQ5kQ-CSsaZpT_NJ4RIlxLz47bMkojSAKy50BR1QX_2i4Rxoo-OJSPyhubMHKtM0UGzGV8qHQQ_7k-MWBtIMV_VZKWl_dut-BaGXsEr9162zo2hoYByIcmChVCcWVU7kMvQ08Wc8CpPpvpdhH5JafubXiv22RFTAlD0v_VqYpa6f4Z1oLwxWXrr1z3eHfgb2Qye0wqUn4bB-VB-ws-mSTw3hagBYAJA6CXputT51cw6KD_6Ca2ondTltzbh2Hea0Cv5woY5eXbrD-RzG4yZtlMbrT3NtwOL9FaVlBktkvq-K2x_uGyVWnbElNZPUzmvN0kr3b7-qgv0p69sVQqcHXA-okKoIf7oePN4AQII85PBy1D5td5wagBJV0T3yeLqRNWRc8i4dBNdMwMyPnGr3A=w653-h869-no

Latest posts