• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding/eating question

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
I probably won't do it again. But a pinky pretty much can't defend it's self. A more grown feeder mouse could potentially harmful your T so yeah no more mice.

syzygy

3 Year Member
It takes a while for a T of any size to eat a mouse....and after 12 hours or so a dead mouse doesn't smell nice at all. I know this the hard way....never again.

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
I meant to add in the wild if the opportunity arose.

I can imagine it would get ripe in an enclosure.

My T is scared of Dubias so a mouse would probably give her a heart attack:D

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ahh...this explains the photo you recently posted in the T Feeding thread. I was wondering how that T caught a roach on it's back like that!
That was a lateralis roach ;) Scooter flipped it over in the struggle, guess he likes the soft belly better. Lateralis will right themselves quickly and run. Dubia need something near them to get their feet on to flip back over. I've had one fall off the egg crate in the container and lay there on it's back for an hour or so (probably not but seemed like that long) until i got tired of hearing it scratching on the plastic trying to right itself.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
my brother has a lot of house lizards in the spring, figure when my Ts get big enough i'd try one of them. have to do it when his daughter isn't home, she's wanted one for a pet since she could talk ;)

cameron137

3 Year Member
I have read that feeding Ts mice are not good but I would think if a small mouse gave a T the opportunity it would be dinner.
you can feed mice to Ts occasionally, you just don't want it as a constant diet. The calcium in them isn't good for t's to have all the time, but ok every once in a while

Latest posts