• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding/eating question

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
A buddy gave me a few dubia roaches yesterday so I dropped one into my L. parahybana tank. The roach was about 1" long. It scared the T so bad he almost came out of the tank. I walked away and went back a few minutes later and T had the roach captured in his fangs. That was last night now this morning it still looks like he is eating. Is that normal? How long does it take to ingest their food? I hope the roach isn't stuck some how.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That is unusual but doubt that there is anything going on here other than the spider is taking its time.

Will

3 Year Member
Yeah I fed my N chromatus a big Locust last night and it was still munching it this morning 7 hours later. I don't think it's anything to be concerned about, they're just savouring the flavour I suppose.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
dubia have more "armor" than lateralis, i've noticed it takes a bit longer for the Ts to devour them. And you gotta love the dubia crunch sound ;)
About half of mine are finally eating dubia, (Still not Yeti :/) hurts my heart to feed them though. They are so cute. I need a hisser :(
~~~~~
@Gscottjr
What was the size of the dubia vs the T?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Kymura The dubia was about 1" long my T is about 3.5"
might have been too big. food size should be size of the abdomen or so, i only have 2 or 3 that will eat bigger prey than that, the N. color, the L. itabunae, and the A. seemanni. Sometimes the GBB's and avics will, but if they notice the size after they snag it they'll drop it and back off. Only a few times i've seen those snag the prey on the other side of the web, or on the edge and keep it if it's larger.

Oh and the A. genic will eat just about anything that falls in it's cage, regardless of size ;)

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Perfectly normal. The larger the prey the longer it takes them to eat it. A 12 hour meal is not uncommon.
If duia are too cute to feed off, then hissers are definitely not a better substitute. They hiss so loudly when impaled by the fangs they almost sounds like they are squealing.

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
Perfectly normal. The larger the prey the longer it takes them to eat it. A 12 hour meal is not uncommon.
If duia are too cute to feed off, then hissers are definitely not a better substitute. They hiss so loudly when impaled by the fangs they almost sounds like they are squealing.

Thanks.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No! Not to feed lol for pets. :)

Telson

3 Year Member
@Kymura I had to kind of write off two sp, dubia and lats. I like roaches too so I had to force myself to not see them as interesting, beautiful animals, I just see little pieces of pizza running around. It's a necessary evil..
It will help if you take an adult dubia out and pull it's legs off, one at a time, and then smash its head between your bare fingers. It helps to de-sensitize you to them. Lmao, I'm kidding..It still bothers me a little.

When I pull their legs off.
Lol, No, I kid, I kid.

Rmac88

3 Year Member
@Kymura I had to kind of write off two sp, dubia and lats. I like roaches too so I had to force myself to not see them as interesting, beautiful animals, I just see little pieces of pizza running around. It's a necessary evil..
It will help if you take an adult dubia out and pull it's legs off, one at a time, and then smash its head between your bare fingers. It helps to de-sensitize you to them. Lmao, I'm kidding..It still bothers me a little.

When I pull their legs off.
Lol, No, I kid, I kid.
o.0

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Don't need to pull their legs off, they're like a turtle, flip them upside down if they start burrowing right away. The flailing legs will attract attention ;)

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
Oh seen now I feel terrible...I've fed my L. Parahybana a pinky (baby mouse) before c.c

syzygy

3 Year Member
Don't need to pull their legs off, they're like a turtle, flip them upside down if they start burrowing right away. The flailing legs will attract attention ;)

Ahh...this explains the photo you recently posted in the T Feeding thread. I was wondering how that T caught a roach on it's back like that!

Latest posts