• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Even the mom and pop stores don't care.

NorseDad

Had a frustrating moment yesterday with my local exotic pet store. We don't have big pet chains where I live without needing to drive 40 minutes one way. As such, I typically order most stuff online, and I get my feeders from a local mom and pop exotic pet store. Now they typically specialize in reptiles and fish, but do occasionally carry invertebrates. I don't always agree with the husbandry they display there. I've also noticed a shift lately to selling pets with enclosures as bundles like hermit crabs and bettas in vases. I don't like it, but its the only place locally for crickets, meal worms, super worms, and rats. Their reptile set ups are always very good.

I noticed yesterday that they had several tarantulas on sale on the front counter for Halloween, which in and of itself is a practice I hate. I don't like tarantulas being used as props for a holiday or stupid social media videos. They had two "Curly Hair" and one "Mex Blonde", so obviously from the start the non scientific names in a shop is a warning to me. These T's are juvie/subadult size, so I'm not convinced wild caught. They were bald. I don't mean somewhat typical bald patch. I mean the whole abdomen is bald. All of them are on about a .5" of reptile sand in exo terra nano talls, no hide, a water dish with a wet paper towel, and a small skull decoration. Not to mention about 4-6 large crickets roaming around. The T's are obviously very stressed and hiding under their own legs. The counter is right at the entrance in full sun.

I'm not a Karen, but in this situation, I gave them the benefit of the doubt since this is not a heartless chain store. I've been shopping with them for 8 years. I asked to speak to the manager. I spoke to her at length about the set ups, the signs of stress I was seeing, and compared the lack of knowledge on display to the reptile enclosures. I offered to bring in my own supplies from home to make the set ups more appropriate for the spiders. Offered to do it at no cost. Nope. She got defensive about what I was pointing out, doubled down that she knew more than I did. I mentioned my 2 years experience and collection of over 34 species, but that was that. Did not want the free help.

People just don't seem to care enough about invertebrates to do just a few minutes of research. I don't think I'll being doing business with these people any more. It makes me very sad for the animals, and I know buying them would just mean they'd make a profit and be incentivized to buy more.

MBullock

3 Year Member
To be fair you did waltz in and tell her how to run things which is typically viewed as quite rude by society. Yes, yes, stressed bald abdomen etc i know. Im not playing devil's advocate.

Just saiyan nobody likes being lectured. Approach it differently next time. Be subtle. Dont try to educate because the moment you do eyes will glaze over.

You should actually aim to TRICK them into caring. "Why are all your spiders bald like this are thr diseased?" Kinda guilt trip em in that way etc. Maybe bring in a group of people simply to all turn your noses up. Maybe loudly remark about the better store nearby etc.

The irony? Im lecturing right now and all your eyes are probably so glazed i could coat a rack of donuts

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I feel ya

If they want to sell more supplies, like substrate, fake plants and hides, they should display them like that - all decked out.

Try that next time

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My local shop had no idea how to care for tarantulas. After some time talking with them they call me for info and the occasional rehousing of new shipments (nasty old worlds). I've even been called for tuesday feedings when their normal person feeding is out. It works out in my favor though, I recieve at least 10 mature males a year from them (they can't sell them).

NorseDad

To be fair you did waltz in and tell her how to run things which is typically viewed as quite rude by society. Yes, yes, stressed bald abdomen etc i know. Im not playing devil's advocate.

Just saiyan nobody likes being lectured. Approach it differently next time. Be subtle. Dont try to educate because the moment you do eyes will glaze over.

You should actually aim to TRICK them into caring. "Why are all your spiders bald like this are thr diseased?" Kinda guilt trip em in that way etc. Maybe bring in a group of people simply to all turn your noses up. Maybe loudly remark about the better store nearby etc.

The irony? Im lecturing right now and all your eyes are probably so glazed i could coat a rack of donuts
Normally, I'd agree and would avoid lecturing. The thing is I personally know the owner. This is a small rural community, and I've known the owner for 8 years. I tutored her children (I'm an educator in the town.) I've helped her out in her store before with her bird room. I voluntarily spent a day with them cleaning out fish tanks when they had a parasite outbreak in a shipment of plecos. One year I bought them new bins and helped them reorganize their food bins when they had a moth larvae issue in their loose parrot and rodent food.

Point is, I'm not just some rando off the street. I did approach it in an appropriate way. I stated some concerns, and asked if she would like some help with the set ups. I don't know if there was something else going on, and I was just there at the wrong moment.

MBullock

3 Year Member
Normally, I'd agree and would avoid lecturing. The thing is I personally know the owner. This is a small rural community, and I've known the owner for 8 years. I tutored her children (I'm an educator in the town.) I've helped her out in her store before with her bird room. I voluntarily spent a day with them cleaning out fish tanks when they had a parasite outbreak in a shipment of plecos. One year I bought them new bins and helped them reorganize their food bins when they had a moth larvae issue in their loose parrot and rodent food.

Point is, I'm not just some rando off the street. I did approach it in an appropriate way. I stated some concerns, and asked if she would like some help with the set ups. I don't know if there was something else going on, and I was just there at the wrong moment.
It might be something unrelated to the hobby as to why she doesnt treat you the same. I know neither of you so i refuse to take any sides. It could be that you're a teacher, and since she's from a small community she may consider you a threat due to the recent hoopla with the schools. Or maybe you just plain annoy her or something i dunno lol.

IMO you should just move on and accept it. dwelling is pointless.

timc

3 Year Member
Unfortunately her goal is to sell the spiders, not give them optimal care. If she gives them enough substrate to burrow what kind of selling point is “Hey trade your money for this deli cup of dirt!”? It’s not best for the animals, but most pet store conditions aren’t. I usually just tell myself a responsible, well researched individual is going to buy them and give them the best life possible, even if I’m lying to myself.

timc

3 Year Member
"I'll burn this place to the ground"
-Milton, Office Space
Nah OP def be like
1635299275848.png

timc

3 Year Member
Pet store manager, what’s happening? Yeah if you could just go ahead and…add some more substrate, that would be great.