• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Euthanasia - Whens and Hows

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I place my mature males in a box with a devider in the middle with holes in it. I place dry ice in one side and put the lid back on. The dry ice sedates them. After a good 30 minutes or so I place them in the freezer to make sure their gone. This also is a good way to do it if you are interested in taxidermy on Ts...something I'm yet to try but thinking about. After a good freezing I give them a firey burrial like a ancient God in the backyard. Ive never seen them struggle or even twitch doing it this way. The boot stomp is probably faster but I can't seam to do it to my little men...thats just me.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've often thought a quick, precise smash would be fastest. But to end their life in a last flare of agony seems a bit harsh. Has anyone ever cooked and eaten one? Not alive of course. But after you crack it open with a hammer.
....;)

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Urticating hairs preclude that. Baking soda and vinegar also generate CO2, but you need to isolate the T from the splatter and not the gas.

If you are into welding or soldering, nitrogen & argon gas also displace oxygen. It's thought that at least in vertebrates, the body is sensitized to increased CO2 levels giving rise to shortness of breath. This isn't true with nitrogen and even less true with argon, which is chemically inert.

These gases are used in this and the hoses or valves can be directed into a confined area such as a tank inside of 2 or 3 plastic bags etc.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There is a TV scientist that told the story of doing some sort of demonstration involving hydrogen and then sliding off the coach unconscious later because he had a lung full of hydrogen and no carbon dioxide to trigger the breathing response, so what you're saying ties in with that.