• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure size question

spazz

3 Year Member
I am thinking I might like to get a second T, but really only if I could devide my G. rosea's enclosure. It is a 5 1/2 gallon tank with a metal screen cover. Could this work with another similarly sized T, or would it be too small? And if it would work, any suggestions on what would T's would work well? My only real conditions are it must be the same or smaller than G. rosea, and it needs to be even tempered like the rosies too, and need a similar habitat.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Honestly I think 2.75 gallons is to small for a full grown rosea, and in most cases with tarantulas, divided tanks don't work.

spazz

3 Year Member
No they almost always get through the divider.. eventually.
Okay, I get the space issue, and so I won't do it, but I don't see how they could get around a glass barrier that is siliconed in and leaves no space between the lid and the top of the glass?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They're faster than most people think, and can squeeze in very tight spaces. It just typically doesn't work long term.. That's not to say it can't work but...

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Kenny's right...a 5.5-gallon tank divided in half would end up being too small for an adult T. The possible escape issue is a significant problem, too. Can you get another enclosure? I've seen 5.5-gallon glass tanks at Petco for like $20, and I got a couple of slightly smaller Kritter Keepers for $15.

spazz

3 Year Member
Kenny's right...a 5.5-gallon tank divided in half would end up being too small for an adult T. The possible escape issue is a significant problem, too. Can you get another enclosure? I've seen 5.5-gallon glass tanks at Petco for like $20, and I got a couple of slightly smaller Kritter Keepers for $15.
I can get them easy enough. That is not the issue, it's more a question of how many enclosures I want around. I already have a giant custom snake enclosure in this room.

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
The stackable critter keepers would be easier, trust me. I have a split 5.5gal terrarium for my two adult (yet not full size) roseas. For now they are doing just fine, but it took quite a bit of effort to make it work right. I personally disagree with Kenny about the space issue, however. Both of my roseas have made deep burrows and rarely leave them. The 8inx8in floor space would be plenty with a deep burrow present, but as we know, most roseas won't burrow in captivity. The only reason I split my 5.5 is because I already had it lying around. You're better off stacking a couple critter keepers (which will take up around the same amount of space) and saving that 5.5 for something else.

AlyeskaWolf

3 Year Member
I have 1 G. Rosea in a 10 gallon and she LOVES to stretch her legs...I know 5.5 gallons is technically fine...but...I cant do less than 10. Personally. She is very active in it. I can't imagine her in anything smaller...But I do like to spoil...*shrugs* No one take offense please, that's NOT what I'm trying to come off as saying. Its just me own personal opinion...:)

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
I use stack able critter keepers in my room on 3 layer shelves in my room, I call it my T section lol. I can understand if you don't want them scattered all over, have you considered a Metallic Pink Toe? They are a little smaller than Rosies-not as thickly built since they are arboreal T's. I have mine in a Large Tall critter keeper with 2 inches of coco fiber sub, a log and leaves to climb and web on, and a water dish. He is very happy! They are just as easy to care for, although feeding time for these tree dwellers aren't as easy, mine harldy ever eats and is a picky eater. But I love watching him make pretty webs, and he is a great T to handle!! :) He has never flicked hairs or shown any threat display since I have had him, he runs away from danger instead of laughing at it! lol

AlyeskaWolf

3 Year Member
I use stack able critter keepers in my room on 3 layer shelves in my room, I call it my T section lol. I can understand if you don't want them scattered all over, have you considered a Metallic Pink Toe? They are a little smaller than Rosies-not as thickly built since they are arboreal T's. I have mine in a Large Tall critter keeper with 2 inches of coco fiber sub, a log and leaves to climb and web on, and a water dish. He is very happy! They are just as easy to care for, although feeding time for these tree dwellers aren't as easy, mine harldy ever eats and is a picky eater. But I love watching him make pretty webs, and he is a great T to handle!! :) He has never flicked hairs or shown any threat display since I have had him, he runs away from danger instead of laughing at it! lol

My Rosie likes to climb too oddly, she will climb to the top of the tank, then back down, then all around the entire thing, its so fun to watch her, shes so active, really happy about that. Feeding her last night was VERY interesting and neat to watch...She was laying traps with her webbing, had 3 large crickets in her mouth at once, haha. Shes always a voracious eater. That's so cool about the Metallic Pink Toe...I'm now quite interested in looking into them...My Rosie likes to charge anything in her territory. She was only easy to handle at first, once she settled in though...Lol...she defends her territory. I like her feisty-ness tho ^.^ :)

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
Lmao, glanced over RIGHT after posting that...shes at the top of the tank climbing around. :D
That is funny! LOL Our Rosie's are exactly alike! Mine does the same thing with her webbing! Where her "retreat" is, its like a rug of web lol :D
Defiantly consider a Pink Toe, mine isn't as active as a Rose Hair but he has spurts of energy every once in a while. I got mine for only $30!! I would look into it...you wont regret it ;)

AlyeskaWolf

3 Year Member
That is funny! LOL Our Rosie's are exactly alike! Mine does the same thing with her webbing! Where her "retreat" is, its like a rug of web lol :D
Defiantly consider a Pink Toe, mine isn't as active as a Rose Hair but he has spurts of energy every once in a while. I got mine for only $30!! I would look into it...you wont regret it ;)

omg my Rosie has a webbing blanket too underneath her in her hidey spot! hahaha, too cool. When I am able to get another, that will def be what I will look into! Woohoo!! :)

Latest posts