• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dwarf species as beginner species?

Knitten

Hi all.

I would like to get a dwarf T as a starter because, since I used to have a really irrational fear of spiders, (not anymore, hence wanting to start in the hobby) I'm kinda worried the 'regular' ones will be a bit intimidating to me in size to start with.

I love the Cyriocosmus Elegans because of it's heart butt, obviously. (I'm a bit of a girly girl :p)
So I wondered if that's a good beginner species.
In a chat group I'm in someone recommended the Cyriocosmus Chicoi because of it's slightly bigger size, and smaller T's being more fragile. (And since I'm a beginner, I obviously don't want to hurt it.)
I'm looking into what kind of dwarf species there are, and what the members of this forum can recommend me.

Also, what are the bare necessities for keeping a T, apart from housing, substrate, and feed items?
And what do you use as substrate, and what would you recommend to a beginner?

Thanks in advance!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Homeomma Chilensis (Chilie Flame) are on my very short want list. They are at the top end of Dwarf growing to about 8cm, (3inch.) And have a real personality. They are slow moving & very docile. I believe they are not known to either bite or flick hairs, so a great first T & the more I have read about them, the more I have wanted one & they are a beautiful T too.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
One I would fully recommend to anyone that can find one is Plesiopelma longisternale, it took me 4 years to find one but well worth that wait. It grows to an adult size of 1" body length. It seems to be a very calm T, the only thing it hurries for is food, happy to plod around. it has dug to the bottom of the container in one corner but not burrowed away and it has webbed and seems to like sitting up in its plant so it's always visible.

A few others to look at:-
Aphonopelma sp. montane
Catumiri argentinense
Cyriocosmus aueri
Cyriocosmus leetzi
Cyriocosmus perezmilesi
Heterothele gabonensis
Holothele cf. sericea
Holothele sanguiniceps
Orphnaecus sp cebu small
Phlogiellus sp. Khao sok
Phlogeillus sp namtok phlio
Plesiophrictus sp kerala

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree with @m0lsx that the perfect starter T for you would be a homoeoma chilensis however finding a grown on specimen would be next to impossible.

C Elegans is a cute little T but can be very fast.

Would you concider getting a larger species but a sling or slightly grown on specimen? Brachypelmas and Grammostolas are generally quite calm Ts and slow growing. If you were to get one as a sling or around an inch you'll have time to get used to it and be comfortable before it moults and you have a 1.5" spider. Then the process repeats.. you get comfortable for a while..it moults...etc.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Would you concider getting a larger species but a sling or slightly grown on specimen? Brachypelmas and Grammostolas are generally quite calm Ts and slow growing.

Our Brachypelma albopilosum (curly hair.) seems to come to the front of the tank when anyone is around. It is probably just our imagination, but it feels much more engaging than the other T's do. It never climb the tank to meet you, when you open it, just sitting still. But inside the closed tank, it does apparently move to see what is happening when you are close to the tank.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Our Brachypelma albopilosum (curly hair.) seems to come to the front of the tank when anyone is around. It is probably just our imagination, but it feels much more engaging than the other T's do. It never climb the tank to meet you, when you open it, just sitting still. But inside the closed tank, it does apparently move to see what is happening when you are close to the tank.
Brachypelma Albopilosums do seem to be always out and about very visable and calm in nature I can only recommend them as a great starter T I currently own 8 in all different stages from tiny sling up to fully grown adults:)
In terms of dwarfs I totally agree with H.Chilensis (my avatar picture) gorgeous little Ts with bags of personality and sooo cute but as @Rs50matt mentioned very hard to get hold of and if you do get a sling they are very slow growing but worth the wait:)
I also have several of the other dwarf species @Enn49 mentioned such as the C.Leetzi and the C.elegans they are a beautiful little T and do like to burrow reasonable fast growing but can be fast all of the cyriocosmus genus are very pretty and would make a great first T-Dwarf species are a personal favourite of mine!
so many to choose from I'm sure you will end up with more than just one!:)

Last edited:

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
H. chilensis is one of if not the best beginner species.

As for necessities, you've touched on almost everything.

1. enclosure (for slings I use condiment cups and pill vials, juvies to 3" deli cups, 3" and above I am moving towards exclusively plastic bins)

2. Substrate (topsoil, coco fiber, among other similar things. I use coco fiber without anything mixed in)

3. Water dish

4. Hide (cork bark is usually the best, some use driftwood)

5. Feeders (crickets, roaches, superworms, mealworms)

Bonus: plants (not important to have plants unless tarantula is a heavy webber. I myself don't add plants unless it's necessary. In most cases I would not go for live plants.)

Knitten

Wow, thank you all for your replies!

I'm pretty interested in getting a bigger species as well, since, after actually thinkihng it through, and all the comments, they aren't massive overnight and i can easily adjust to their size as they grow.
However speed would be a bit of a thing that would impress me as wel, so no T's that are known as fast and bolting (old worlds? :p)
I will definitely look at all the recommended species.

All hobbies always end up with having a multitude of that what you're collecting, so yeah... I'll see how that goes.

Also, I have no green thumb, so I'm not opting for live plants, that would only make a dying, decaying mess of the enclosure... lol.

Also saw a pic of someone's Mexican red knee, beautifully coloured, and I read that they are a good beginner species too, so maybe I'll lean towords one of those... but as you all mention... there are so many beautiful ones!

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Wow, thank you all for your replies!

I'm pretty interested in getting a bigger species as well, since, after actually thinkihng it through, and all the comments, they aren't massive overnight and i can easily adjust to their size as they grow.
However speed would be a bit of a thing that would impress me as wel, so no T's that are known as fast and bolting (old worlds? :p)
I will definitely look at all the recommended species.

All hobbies always end up with having a multitude of that what you're collecting, so yeah... I'll see how that goes.

Also, I have no green thumb, so I'm not opting for live plants, that would only make a dying, decaying mess of the enclosure... lol.

Also saw a pic of someone's Mexican red knee, beautifully coloured, and I read that they are a good beginner species too, so maybe I'll lean towords one of those... but as you all mention... there are so many beautiful ones!
Most Brachypelma species including the red knee you mention (Brachypelma Hamorii) are slow growing-lovely to watch them grow and develop there adult colours too they are gentle slow moving at the best of times and you can usually always see them unless they have burrowed to moult :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is Charlotte my adult female B. Hamorii :)
IMG_20190801_145052.jpg

DreadedNeith

I agree with the braciphelma sp. (I have the curly hair.brachypelma albopilosum) as a beginner species. You can get them as a sling or sub adult and watch them grow. They aren't hard to take care of as far as husbandry. They seem to be slow and very calm (no bitting or kicking hairs). Keep in mind though that ever T is different. Most curly hair tarantulas aren't known to give a threat pose or kick hairs but my girl does kick hairs some times. They also seem to have a good feeding response, stay put in the open quite often, and look more like a fluffy little mouse than a spider. Here's my girl. They are also cheap. Probably a good idea to start with less expensive species and work up to the more pricey Ts.obviously you'll want to research the species you decide to get so nothing happens to it because it is an animal but if you are a begginer then mistakes can happen and you don't want to have a dead pet and be out of $100, $200, or even more.

Attachments

• 20190709_195438.jpg
    20190709_195438.jpg
    947.2 KB · Views: 35

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
One I would fully recommend to anyone that can find one is Plesiopelma longisternale, it took me 4 years to find one but well worth that wait. It grows to an adult size of 1" body length. It seems to be a very calm T, the only thing it hurries for is food, happy to plod around. it has dug to the bottom of the container in one corner but not burrowed away and it has webbed and seems to like sitting up in its plant so it's always visible.

A few others to look at:-
Aphonopelma sp. montane
Catumiri argentinense
Cyriocosmus aueri
Cyriocosmus leetzi
Cyriocosmus perezmilesi
Heterothele gabonensis
Holothele cf. sericea
Holothele sanguiniceps
Orphnaecus sp cebu small
Phlogiellus sp. Khao sok
Phlogeillus sp namtok phlio
Plesiophrictus sp kerala

I'm so glad to see this list. I'm going to make a list of these species ( quite a few Ive never heard of). Thanks.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Slings are always fun!!

Best smaller one I want but don't have yet?

D diamentinesis!! They are very striking but probably can move really really fast, which you have to plan for.

EulerK also recommended P scrofa as a beginner sling--great feeding response & no humidity required. I'd like to research that one further, but honestly I still have some rehousings to do (new T stirmi forever home + all the other 3 pokies into their forever homes) & shelf space is running out unless I start using my computer room, could sweep off junk from next to my desktop.

Last edited: