• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do tucked legs always mean stress?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Seen this myself. My son's GBB reacts differently to me than him. Doesn't have the venom dripping from the fangs but is really skittish and nervous if I open the cage for water or maintenance. My son can open the enclosure and handle her with no issues.

He's working with some of our other tiny slings to see if his theory of them getting used to us from young is valid for part off his study project.
That project sounds interesting and results would be a good addition to the forum.. of course, you will need a statistically valid sample size, a baseline for comparisons, and a cross-cutting and representative genus and types too (arboreal, terrestrial, NW OW etc etc) Hope you are ready for a massive T room......lol ☺ All for he name of science , naturally!

Matt<3Ts

3 Year Member
i dont know guys, my avic avic seems pretty attached to the dubia that has been crawling around in her enclosure for going on 2 months now! why else wouldnt she eat it if it wasnt her pet. lol!
In the wild some tarantulas live together with frogs for mutual benefits. Perhaps your avic2 and dubia had a nice pleasant negotiation that they'll maintain the enclosure together who knows. Haha

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
But Ts behavioral changes may be due to environmental factors. It would be best if we can determine what these stressors are.

swimbait

3 Year Member
I am not big on anthropomorphizing spiders...I'm with the group of people that think spider don't have the capability to get attached, or even distinguish one person from another. I do believe a tarantula will respond differently to different approaches, but they aren't sensing that it's their favorite person. Of course everyone has their different opinions. I got kicked off of the tarantula keepers facebook group a year ago for arguing that the loss of a spider is not even remotely comparable to the loss of a dog, cat, or an animal with a much higher intelligence level... IMO it's not, because of their lack of capability to bond with a human or other animal.

To answer the original post though, stop messing with the cage and let the spider molt in peace it's fine

VanessaS

3 Year Member
that the loss of a spider is not even remotely comparable to the loss of a dog, cat, or an animal with a much higher intelligence level... IMO it's not, because of their lack of capability to bond with a human or other animal.

Grief is not something that people can ever, ever, ever, put parameters on. The way you grieve, or who you feel is worthy of your grief, is not transferable to others. As individuals we all grieve in different ways and it is not up to anyone to dictate how another person grieves or how they manage their grief.

swimbait

3 Year Member
Grief is not something that people can ever, ever, ever, put parameters on. The way you grieve, or who you feel is worthy of your grief, is not transferable to others. As individuals we all grieve in different ways and it is not up to anyone to dictate how another person grieves or how they manage their grief.

So many people said lol I'm pretty sure the exact quote was "Losing a tarantula is just as bad as losing a dog". Sorry but HECK NO, speak for yourselves. I think I may have told them if they truly felt that way then they have had ****ty dogs their whole life, people didn't appreciate that one... Sure everyone grieves differently but that just seemed absurd to me. I would burn down my entire animal room which has over a 100 tarantulas and a few snakes and geckos in it before I would let something happen to my dogs, who greet me at the door and show emotion every day. I wouldn't think twice

VanessaS

3 Year Member
And nobody is saying that you can't feel that way. People are individuals and nobody is entitled to tell someone else how to grieve or how they should deal with their grief. Just respect the feelings of others and move on if you don't agree.
This world needs more empathy... not less.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
And nobody is saying that you can't feel that way. People are individuals and nobody is entitled to tell someone else how to grieve or how they should deal with their grief. Just respect the feelings of others and move on if you don't agree.
This world needs more empathy... not less.
Perfectly said, *****
honestly, not one of us can judge another's feelings, emotions or reactions. Live and let live.

Chingz

3 Year Member
You are so spot on. I was commenting the same the other day in replies to my post... "Does your T suffer from Arachgroaphobia". My balfouri was the only MIA from my 1st January picture post of the collection. My twitchy hands wanted to destroy the Web and tunnel system just so I could take a picture....my bad!

I have the same issue. I am an newbie. My T is a burrower. I cannot see it at all from mt second day.
I left it for 5 days (work outof town). When I came back, no sign of living except new hole and webbed tunnel.
Idk if its still alive or not. I really want to dig, just to see if its still alive. Lolz

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have the same issue. I am an newbie. My T is a burrower. I cannot see it at all from mt second day.
I left it for 5 days (work outof town). When I came back, no sign of living except new hole and webbed tunnel.
Idk if its still alive or not. I really want to dig, just to see if its still alive. Lolz
The thing is, it's normal for them, it's us humans that feel the urge to interfere when we should just leave them to it. It is hard not to mess though....:D

Latest posts