• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Death curl after molt?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm not at home right now so I cannot take a macro picture but she has a water dish available at all time and the enclosure is not bonedry but a little bit moist. I think not too moist but I don't know. There was a little bit water drops on the glass. If I'm home ill take a close up. What part of the spider do you want in the close up?
Water drops on the glass? Like condensation? How warm is it in the spiders room?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If it passes away, don't feel bad. I did this once when I was a beginner. The heat mat and moisture combo is deadly if theres not enough cross ventilation. Especially to dry species like a B albo.
Condensation in an enclosure will kill a spider as surely as a waterfall. Their booklungs cant filter out the moisture and they drown.

Brachypelma albopilosum

It doesn't look good..the enclosure looks fine to me, as long as it was dry in there with just a water dish. Molting tarantulas will constrict their legs, but then they release them. If they stay tightly curled and dont release them, its bad. I need a close up of the spider. Set your camera to macro if you can.
here is it close up. I just ped her and she moved a little bit so she is alive

Attachments

• IMG_20180701_185953.jpg
    IMG_20180701_185953.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20180701_185928.jpg
    IMG_20180701_185928.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 140

Brachypelma albopilosum

If it passes away, don't feel bad. I did this once when I was a beginner. The heat mat and moisture combo is deadly if theres not enough cross ventilation. Especially to dry species like a B albo.
Condensation in an enclosure will kill a spider as surely as a waterfall. Their booklungs cant filter out the moisture and they drown.
I put her in this cricket box with woodchips and her water is that good?

Attachments

• IMG_20180701_191653.jpg
    IMG_20180701_191653.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 87

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I put her in this cricket box with woodchips and her water is that good?

Temporarily that's ok. I'd take the substrate out of her old container and dry it out, you can spread it out on a roasting tray and dry it in the oven on low temperature. Once you've got it dry you can put her back in her home.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Some wood chips have cedar which is bad for them. I'm sorry for your lost.

Still, consider that molting is a hazardous process and they sometimes just don't make it.

I had a M balfouri pass away from fecal impaction. So far as I know, conditions were pretty much ok but there was mold in the enclosure I didn't know about until it was advanced.

If humidity control is a concern, try a T that isn't sensitive to it. My Lasiodora just doesn't care about humidity. I've heard from many reliable sources that Grammostola species are also very tolerant of widely varying conditions G grossa, (ultimate bucket list T) G pulchripes & G pulchra are all good. The last 2 are easier to find them the first one. There's always the Rose hair but those can have behavioral issues, being essentially bipolar and anorexic and unpredictable.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Some wood chips have cedar which is bad for them. I'm sorry for your lost.

Still, consider that molting is a hazardous process and they sometimes just don't make it.

I had a M balfouri pass away from fecal impaction. So far as I know, conditions were pretty much ok but there was mold in the enclosure I didn't know about until it was advanced.

If humidity control is a concern, try a T that isn't sensitive to it. My Lasiodora just doesn't care about humidity. I've heard from many reliable sources that Grammostola species are also very tolerant of widely varying conditions G grossa, (ultimate bucket list T) G pulchripes & G pulchra are all good. The last 2 are easier to find them the first one. There's always the Rose hair but those can have behavioral issues, being essentially bipolar and anorexic and unpredictable.
Lol they are not. No different than any other sp.