• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Custom acrylic

I have started making my own acrylic enclosure. Still new to it so they are not the best yet. That being said they are a lot of fun to do. I am by no mean an expert at them, but if anyone want to know anything about making them I can let you know what I know.
B6CF0B80-4200-4FB0-9984-73F010131724.jpeg
9A54B7A9-9C46-481B-A0CC-69FD9801FE99.jpeg
142D8F48-567E-49E9-B157-259422864F5D.jpeg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes. I use the 1/8 stuff. I used the 1/4 for the first one but it is over kill and a lot harder to cut.
A small $99 table saw from home depot makes short work out of 1/4" acrylic, and butted seams are easier with thicker material, not to mention sturdier, but thicker acrylic is also more expensive...

If I were to start making enclosures I'd make up welding jigs to make corner joints perfect. A DIY project to make DIY projects easier.

A small $99 table saw from home depot makes short work out of 1/4" acrylic, and butted seams are easier with thicker material, not to mention sturdier, but thicker acrylic is also more expensive...

If I were to start making enclosures I'd make up welding jigs to make corner joints perfect. A DIY project to make DIY projects easier.
That sounds like something I would do. I had planned on getting the stuff to do nicer ones just wanted to do a few and get the grasp first. Only problem with saws is you have to cool it so it doesn’t melt.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That sounds like something I would do. I had planned on getting the stuff to do nicer ones just wanted to do a few and get the grasp first. Only problem with saws is you have to cool it so it doesn’t melt.
Every plastic shop and fabricator I know uses a saw. Not sure why it would be a problem at home to make a few intermittent cuts. I'm not sawing for hours and it's not high friction material. Saw heat is a non issue, IMO. Also, ask me how I know from first hand experience lol

Every plastic shop and fabricator I know uses a saw. Not sure why it would be a problem at home to make a few intermittent cuts. I'm not sawing for hours and it's not high friction material. Saw heat is a non issue, IMO. Also, ask me how I know from first hand experience lol
It may be different with table saw. The jig saw melts it. But it is easy to cool with water. I like to score and break that only because I am in an apartment and I try to limit how much I use power tools inside it.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

CritterKeeper79

That’s what I was just thinking, like a corner jig, to make squaring it up easier. And where I can clamp it in place to dry.

CritterKeeper79

It may be different with table saw. The jig saw melts it. But it is easy to cool with water. I like to score and break that only because I am in an apartment and I try to limit how much I use power tools inside it.
I saw Adam savage cut acrylic and kept spraying water on the drill bit but it was super thick acrylic. So perhaps 1/4 wouldn’t cause enough friction to melt. I don’t know because I’ve never done it? Maybe someday? You’re doing great, maybe you’ll have your own tarantula cribs thing going? Where did you get the hinges?

I saw Adam savage cut acrylic and kept spraying water on the drill bit but it was super thick acrylic. So perhaps 1/4 wouldn’t cause enough friction to melt. I don’t know because I’ve never done it? Maybe someday? You’re doing great, maybe you’ll have your own tarantula cribs thing going? Where did you get the hinges?
I don’t plan on going that big and they came from Amazon. I tried to find some around town but had to order them.

The water is also very good to cool it I have seen people use other thing but not sure why as water works fine.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The water is also very good to cool it I have seen people use other thing but not sure why as water works fine.
Cutting with water is going to be complicated and messy unless you use a tile saw with a metal/plastic blade, but it's unnecessary in my experience.

I've cut plenty of 1/4" and thinner acrylic sheets on a table saw with no issue. Personally, I would not use a band saw, or jig saw, for straight cuts; there's too much blade flex/twist with thin blades. A table saw is the way to go, IMO, but use what you have and/or feel most comfortable with.

CritterKeeper79

Just thought why hasn’t anyone made wooden T enclosures? Coat the inside with non-toxic sealant and put a plexiglass door on the front? I think I’ve seen guy’s make fish tanks out of plywood before?

Latest posts