• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

cricket crack, roach chow, or something homemade?

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
I need to feed my new Dubia roach colony. Any ideas as to cricket crack, roach chow, or something homemade being one better than the other? And, if anyone knows, where or who is the most inexpensive dealer/member of Cricket Crack? Some are cheaper than others, but then the shipping is crazy expensive. I live in New York, USA.

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
"oranges and oatmeal"

will that give them all they need, they don't need a source of protein do they? And thank you so much for your advice :)

Logan D

3 Year Member
that will give them all they need just oatmeal before you cook it and oranges
i can not take credit for this though you really wanna thank Martin Oosthuysen hes a moderator and he told me that his colony thrives off the two

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I need to feed my new Dubia roach colony. Any ideas as to cricket crack, roach chow, or something homemade being one better than the other? And, if anyone knows, where or who is the most inexpensive dealer/member of Cricket Crack? Some are cheaper than others, but then the shipping is crazy expensive. I live in New York, USA.

Hello
You could lay down oats or oatmeal as a substrate, which they will actually eat and then add oranges or other fruits with high water content. You could also use water crystals,but I prefer the fruit.

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
Thank you all :) I just threw some oatmeal in the blender to grind them into a nice meal and some apples with a bit of water ground into an applesauce type mash into separate dishes for them. Also, I will use a 75 watt IR bulb when winter sets in here to give them a bit of extra heat. Do you know if they can see that in the light spectrum? T's and scorps cant I know but not sure about roaches.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you all :) I just threw some oatmeal in the blender to grind them into a nice meal and some apples with a bit of water ground into an applesauce type mash into separate dishes for them. Also, I will use a 75 watt IR bulb when winter sets in here to give them a bit of extra heat. Do you know if they can see that in the light spectrum? T's and scorps cant I know but not sure about roaches.

Roaches are light sensitive,you can even test this in the setup by shining a flash light.

hellknite

3 Year Member
I skipped oranges and apples for 3 weeks now.. Now I'm using dragon fruit and kiwi to feed my colonies.. plus I'm trying crushed corn as a substrate.

MrBoom619

3 Year Member

Hi Lady Lilith! I'd like to recommend a blend that my friend personally makes for his Dubia. Mine love it so much! His name is Rich and below you will find is Facebook page link as well as his Arachnoboards link in case you would like to inquire. If you decide to reach out to him, tell him "Raoul" - MrBoom619 sent you and he will take care of you. Cheers! =)

Arachnoboards info:

3skulls - http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/member.php?69240-3skulls

Facebook info:

Rich CreatureAddiction - https://www.facebook.com/rich.creatureaddiction?fref=ts

Hope this helps! =)

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
I feed all my colonies with with blended up fruits, veggies and oatmeal. I change up which produce I use each batch. Holds well in the fridge for a week or so.

Hello and thank you,

Could you tell me please, do you blend the oatmeal (uncooked I'm assuming?) in with the fruits? I had the temptation to do this but was not sure if they would take to it or not. I am also on the hunt now for finding some egg crates. They are currently housed in a 20 gal aquarium with a wire mesh top and some extra bark hides I have but as I read more on the subject, everyone seems to use egg crates. I know some places sell them, but there must be a vendor/store/farm/grocer's somewhere around me that has them for less money I can take a road trip to rather than paying for shipping etc. I wonder if the Dubias prefer one type of hide to another. And really? The nymphs will live in a one inch pile of poop and feed off of it? Ewwwww…. gak gak gak…..

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello and thank you,

Could you tell me please, do you blend the oatmeal (uncooked I'm assuming?) in with the fruits? I had the temptation to do this but was not sure if they would take to it or not. I am also on the hunt now for finding some egg crates. They are currently housed in a 20 gal aquarium with a wire mesh top and some extra bark hides I have but as I read more on the subject, everyone seems to use egg crates. I know some places sell them, but there must be a vendor/store/farm/grocer's somewhere around me that has them for less money I can take a road trip to rather than paying for shipping etc. I wonder if the Dubias prefer one type of hide to another. And really? The nymphs will live in a one inch pile of poop and feed off of it? Ewwwww…. gak gak gak…..

Hello
I will post a few photos of my setup, and will add of the others at a later stage. We have dubia,turkistan,lobster and pallids.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This colony was started less than a month ago,but we can say a month. You can even see the babies,also look at what I feed and use as substrate. Usually they are neatly filed,I just took them apart to show the progress.

uploadfromtaptalk1413222674281.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1413222693024.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1413222706925.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1413222720462.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1413222736234.jpg

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
Well done and thank you so much! Wow, I've complicated things a bit more than they needed to be lol. Seems simple enough, oranges cut in half and oats raw.

Now, where to find folks with spare egg crates without actually having to buy 8 dozen eggs myself…… :)

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well done and thank you so much! Wow, I've complicated things a bit more than they needed to be lol. Seems simple enough, oranges cut in half and oats raw.

Now, where to find folks with spare egg crates without actually having to buy 8 dozen eggs myself…… :)

Haha,maybe visit an egg farm ?

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Hello and thank you,

I blend the produce untill smoothish than slowly blend in raw oatmeal untill it has a nice thick consistency. I typically get my egg crates from my work( I work with people with developmental disabilities in a residential setting) we usually go through alot of eggs lol. And I've also got a good relationship with the employees at the LPS's I frequent and the one I go to most will give me extras that came in with their cricket order if I ask for them.

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Also use of a red light is fine for roaches, that's currently how I heat mine. Thinking about switching to a space heater this winter though.

Latest posts