• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cricket breeder for $20?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Who told you that, I've seen dubia reproduce well below 85 degrees. Maybe not as fast as they would in higher temps but they don't NEED 85. Granted most houses are going to be too cold for them to survive in, household depending, but I wouldn't say it's not possible for them to reproduce in a house.
Was reading the breeding info on dubairoaches and nyworms. They can breed below 80s but not well. 85+ is ideal. I saw one of the females in my lateralis colony laying egg cases so in a month or so i should have pinheads :)

swimbait

3 Year Member
Exactly, ideal, but they could potentially reproduce if you keep your house generally warm and they found a warm area. Not something worth worrying about imo, unlikely anways unless you dropped a bunch of males and females at once and somehow let them all get away

spider4747

3 Year Member
I have eggs in the hatchery. Hard to say if they'll make it because I'm using a stove to warm my house. But the witner should't last long and I'm sure I'e see accidetal babies in among my crickets in the taratula eclosures

swimbait

3 Year Member
I have eggs in the hatchery. Hard to say if they'll make it because I'm using a stove to warm my house. But the witner should't last long and I'm sure I'e see accidetal babies in among my crickets in the taratula eclosures

Among your crickets in the enclosures? Do you just keep crickets in the cages at all times?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes, is that bad? I've never had issues.
Yes they can pose a pretty serious threat to a molting or recently molted tarantula (or any invertebrate for that matter). This is why every book/hobbyist/just about every source out there will tell you to remove uneaten prey items and never to leave crickets or mealworms in with a tarantula that is molting. Crickets are omnivorous and will munch on a molting tarantula. When tarantulas molt they are extremely vulnerable and completely defenseless. Even for a while afterwards, their exoskeleton is still soft, as are their fangs, therefore they cannot use them to defend themselves. This is like very very basic stuff dude. I highly advise you do some more research on general tarantula care before buying more of them.

swimbait

3 Year Member
Yes. Horrible actually. You are putting your tarantula in danger by leaving them in there at all times. Chubbs pretty much just explained why. Extremely vulnerable while molting, a few crickets could easily kill them, or cause serious damage. This really is the basics of the basics, I don't want to get on you again for minimal research but come on man. Next thing your gonna tell us is you have cricket cubes or a sponge in the water bowl...

Latest posts