• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cork bark mold?

swimbait

3 Year Member
I could always put them in a different room but it would be much harder to control temps. The reptile room hardly ever drops below 70 due to all the heat sources in there. A fan wouldn't be a bad idea though, I have to bring my turtles in for the winter and now they are in a 75 gallon horse troph in that room so it doesn't smell the best :D A fan would probably help with that too. I have to say this is truly one thing that's never crossed my mind

Poec54

3 Year Member
You couldn't even ring anything out of this substrate, can that still be too moist? .. made me wonder if it was something that was on the cork molding rather than the cork itself. .

Are the holes in the top or sides? I always put the holes in the upper sides only in deli cups, for cross ventilation. Yes, it could be that particular cork, but it's never happened to me and I have a lot of cork in a lot of cages.

As for soil moisture, some species need dry substrate and any moisture may cause problems, like east and south Africans, SW US Aphonopelma, and Avicularia.

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
I have 38 Ts right now and I don't use any fans at all. They are enclosed on 3 sides and sometimes all four sides, on upright shelves, stacked on top of each other. I use ceramic heating lamps for additional heat. By placing Ts in a certain place I'm able to control temp and humidity. Each container has several holes in sides and tops. I have never had a mold problem and have never had a T have trouble with a molt. Humidity levels are within range .They are healthy and active. This works for me, maybe you can take something from it to try. I would blame the cork as it came from the lizards cage. I bet if you remove it and some substrate around it, replace with new, problem will go away.

swimbait

3 Year Member
Are the holes in the top or sides? I always put the holes in the upper sides only in deli cups, for cross ventilation. Yes, it could be that particular cork, but it's never happened to me and I have a lot of cork in a lot of cages.

As for soil moisture, some species need dry substrate and any moisture may cause problems, like east and south Africans, SW US Aphonopelma, and Avicularia.

They are on the top sides, I posted pictures of the ventilation earlier in this thread

swimbait

3 Year Member
I have 38 Ts right now and I don't use any fans at all. They are enclosed on 3 sides and sometimes all four sides, on upright shelves, stacked on top of each other. I use ceramic heating lamps for additional heat. By placing Ts in a certain place I'm able to control temp and humidity. Each container has several holes in sides and tops. I have never had a mold problem and have never had a T have trouble with a molt. Humidity levels are within range .They are healthy and active. This works for me, maybe you can take something from it to try. I would blame the cork as it came from the lizards cage. I bet if you remove it and some substrate around it, replace with new, problem will go away.

This is what I have done, I took the rest of the cork bark and boiled it then baked it to get anything off that could be on there. Then in the cages that had it forming I just took that pieces out replaced it and surrounded it with dry substrate. One of the pieces I just scraped it off and put it back surrounding it by dry substrate and I have yet to see an issue. I honestly think it had to do with it coming out of the lizard cage. I may do an experiment soon and place the bark and piece of boiled/cooked bark in the same moist substrate and see if one grows and one doesn't. I obviously wont be doing this in a T cage

Latest posts