• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

common names

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I did see someone other day on Facebook selling a avicularia versicolor "Guyana pinktoe" with a picture of an avicularia avicularia.

What made me laugh the most was that someone was upset that it was collection only but he was too far away. It was his dream spider apparently yet couldn't identify it

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I did see someone other day on Facebook selling a avicularia versicolor "Guyana pinktoe" with a picture of an avicularia avicularia.

What made me laugh the most was that someone was upset that it was collection only but he was too far away. It was his dream spider apparently yet couldn't identify it
the picture and Guyana pink toe reference was actually ok. just the versi bit....which we all know is no longer an avicularia anyway as now Ceribena. Close but no cigar. and yes agree, if dream spider you should be able to spot a mile off anything wrong in the ad. I have 8 Ceribena Versicolor slings for sale...send him my way...LOL

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Some of the common names are very stable. A rose hair has always been called that. A Mexican red knee has pretty much always been called that so far as I know. I doubt the common name Orange bitey thing will go away anytime soon. I can't picture anyone getting confused as to what a Cobalt blue is or a Singapore blue either.

Typically the most common tarantulas have the most standardized common names.

Still, it's best to know both, especially if they have a medically significant bite.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My granddaughter came up with a good one. She had overheard a conversation and confused RedBack spider with Wombat spider so when she saw my Selenotopus plumipes she wanted to know if that was the Wombat spider Nan was talking about the other day.
View attachment 32312
View attachment 32313 View attachment 32314
She might be onto something.
Short, fat, hairy, lives in a burrow and does nothing 90% of the time!
I think one of my ex wives described me like that!!! :D:D:D

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's very easy to hyper extend your joints pulling the knife out of your back. Those fang marks can also be tricky to cover up, similar to pokie bites but more likely to get infected.

My ex's are to be avoided like the plague, lest one perform like GBB males, destroyed by one breeding attempt.

Kinda off the subject but I had to say it.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Facebook is horrible with people making their own common names. There was this one fool trying to tell everyone that Dolichothele diamantinensis (Brazilian Blue Dwarf Beauty Tarantula) is now a miniature green bottle blue. :confused::confused::confused:

Latest posts