• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

common names

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok, so before I start here is my disclaimer...we should all use scientific names when describing our trantula

Now that is out the way, and just for a bit if fun, what are the worst/funniest common names you have seen applied to our Tarantulas. I will start the ball rolling with a couple of the names that have been used for spiders that I own

Psalmopeuus victori - Mexican Half and Half/Darth Maul Tarantula

Phormingohilus Rufus - "Mr Stretchy Pants" (although more commonly known now as Javen Blonde thankfully)

What else you got people :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The Spider Shop, UK went through a phase of referring to the Brachypelma albopilosum as the Pube Hair.
oh yeah....I remember that. they came up with Mr Stretchy Pants:)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
BTW, anyone got common names for these?

Avicularia sp. Isla Margarita (probably Avic Avic.....lol)
Holothele cf sericea
Theraphosidae sp. panama

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
BTW, anyone got common names for these?

Avicularia sp. Isla Margarita (probably Avic Avic.....lol)
Holothele cf sericea
Theraphosidae sp. panama
And this one
Avicularia sp Santa Mission Moonlight.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ask and ye shall recieve!
Pattycake, pattycake, bakers man, bake me a cake as OWWFUUUUCKARRRGHH!
OMG.....I am crying with laughter here.:D:D:D:D @Shampain you are one crazy jock my man!!!! Normally I would say "I told you not to de that now didn't I" but for the sake of entertainment I am soooooo glad you did. PMSL

schmoopsy

Local pet store in Appleton WI.

Listed a curly hair as "Mexican Curly hair. Its a tree spider that needs height not width.

Then they changed it to Latino black T.

Then finally to Black hair T.

Although we told them several times what it was

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's best to know both. Scientific names are far from 100% stable.

If you look at how the Aviculara genus was recently splintered, no not that, actually totally trashed it's easy to see why it's best to know both.

How A metallica gets turned into morph type 6 is utterly beyond me.

The Goliath bird eater has had at least 3 scientific names as has the Burgandy Goliath bird eater. (Maybe just 2 for that one with the first being a morph type??)

I could go on with dozens of examples. It's best to know as much about your tarantula as possible, including all of the names it's been called.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's best to know both. Scientific names are far from 100% stable.

If you look at how the Aviculara genus was recently splintered, no not that, actually totally trashed it's easy to see why it's best to know both.

How A metallica gets turned into morph type 6 is utterly beyond me.

The Goliath bird eater has had at least 3 scientific names as has the Burgandy Goliath bird eater. (Maybe just 2 for that one with the first being a morph type??)

I could go on with dozens of examples. It's best to know as much about your tarantula as possible, including all of the names it's been called.
When their proper names are changed, it's documented and set in stone, until they decide to smash the stone. Common names are worth doodly squat. Any fool with a pet store can make up a common name, and they do. Common names are pointless.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My granddaughter came up with a good one. She had overheard a conversation and confused RedBack spider with Wombat spider so when she saw my Selenotopus plumipes she wanted to know if that was the Wombat spider Nan was talking about the other day.
beware-of-singing-wombats.jpg

iStock-586377188-630x390.jpg
p3.JPG

She might be onto something.
Short, fat, hairy, lives in a burrow and does nothing 90% of the time!

Latest posts