• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Classifying tarantula

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think while neither of them had a territory to defend they coexisted because without something to fight for they are not going to take on a spider their own size, there's no point. Sooner or later though one would decide that they need to set up a permanent home and defend their territory. Theoretically any territorial animals could be kept together if they have enough room to define their own territory, in practice it is risky though, how do you know how much space is each individual is going to claim? I liken the situation with these two tarantulas to when fish are all together in the shop tank, but once home and settled in it becomes a free for all with the winner taking over the whole tank.
It will be interesting to see the video though, looking forward to it.

Ajesus92

3 Year Member
So soon after I put them apart my stripknee escape and wasn’t able to find her. I thought my dog ate her and I was disappointed, but today my little cousins text me saying that when he was sitting i our sofa he notice something walking across the living room and realize it was my tarantula. I’m so glad to have her back

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yikes!!

Hopefully the water dish is full and dinner will be served. My place is such a wreck that I can't even find the cat.

Lots of people are keeping M balfouri slings and even adults communally. These guys have a faster growth rate then when raised alone, which proves that they actually benefit from having comrades.

They're one of the few exceptions that prove the rule. 99% of them just kill reach other.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So soon after I put them apart my stripknee escape and wasn’t able to find her. I thought my dog ate her and I was disappointed, but today my little cousins text me saying that when he was sitting i our sofa he notice something walking across the living room and realize it was my tarantula. I’m so glad to have her back
It's great you got her back, I doubt I would recapture one here, too many good spots for a spider to set up a permanent home! Plenty of bugs too, No pesticides inside or out for nearly 25 years apart from dealing with a couple of ant infestations, and even then it was minimal.
I use electrical tape on all my lids as it's easy to peel off and doesn't leave residue, it might be a good idea, at the very least it makes the family feel safe.

Ajesus92

3 Year Member
I don’t believe they where unhappy, nor stressed. If so they would have been not eat and put up a threat posture. The only reason they where both out and about is because I made them come out of hiding. But in the end I did separated them...

Latest posts