• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chalk up another member for South Africa :-)

BossRoss

3 Year Member
Hi All,

I live in Johannesburg, South Africa. I was recently given a Brachypelma albopilosum (Curly Hair) which was a awesome as I have always wanted Tarantulas! I have had "her" for a few weeks and she molted last night :)

I have so much to learn but this going to be the best place. Here is my curly hair, could any body take a guess at her age please as I have no idea.

DSC_0437.jpg
DSC_0440.jpg

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello and welcome

Nice tarantula, the Brachypelma albopilosum like any brachypelmas are a hardy genera. They are also more prone to flicking urticating hairs, than biting or giving threat postures. They grow slowly, thus their Longevity is high. Specimens I've heard of, up to possibly over 25 years. By the way South African as well, Free State Bloemfontein and welcome.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
It might be a bit early to determine gender. The surest way is to examine the molt, if you still have it.

BossRoss

3 Year Member
It might be a bit early to determine gender. The surest way is to examine the molt, if you still have it.

I read a very interesting post on this forum about sexing my spider and I do not have the correct magnification entities to determine the sex at "her" size. So for the time I am going to call my spider a "her" and Bella is her name for the time being. :)
I assume she did not molt on her back this time around(I did not see the actual molt unfortunately-I was soo sad) but she is completely out of her old skin but she was tucked down in a corner with the old skin right behind her and the little plant is in the way of me retrieving the old molt without disturbing her- I didnt want to push her around so close to after a molt- will see if I can fish the old skin out tonight after work.

They are also more prone to flicking urticating hairs, than biting or giving threat postures.
So far she loves to be handled, the first few times she was a little apprehensive but she got use to me really quickly and the last time I handled her she climbed onto my hand with very little to no motivation at all. No flicking hairs, no bites nothing.... yet :)

Thank you for the welcomes

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
Chances are little with flicking, that's why I said more prone to that than getting bitten or threat postures. The brachypelma genus is lay back in that same genus the boehmei and Emilia will tend to flick faster, even the avicularia genus is lay back as well. I will say this, exceptions do occur dependant on the keeper and setup.

Latest posts