• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can you Overfeed a T

What would you prefer?

• Total voters

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
This is a Highly debatable topic,can a T be overweight ? Well,I do not truly see it to be proven. People will power feed females in the hope to be ready for a male,is it a good thing ? Many will swear they have not seen negative effects,but I just feed normally. I tend to feed slings to juvenile specimens,three times a week mature specimens once maybe twice a week especially more when breeding. This is my take on it,but no rule at all.

Adrian le Plastrier

3 Year Member
ok great, thanks for the response. i was just wondering, coz my T's are all looking skinny so i have been kinda power feeding them. i know a rule of thumb for feeding T's is once a week, but this would differ due to size and age of spider.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ok great, thanks for the response. i was just wondering, coz my T's are all looking skinny so i have been kinda power feeding them. i know a rule of thumb for feeding T's is once a week, but this would differ due to size and age of spider.
Slings tend to eat more frequently,and also they molt more frequently. So one needs to find a happy medium for all stages,but I believe more will reply.

Adrian le Plastrier

3 Year Member
3 out of 4 of my T's always eat n the most exciting one to watch is my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, as she has made this interesting web format that allows me to just drop the cricket or 2 into the web. She is very fast to eat the cricket. the only one that is not eating now is my Grammostola rosea, as i think she is gonna molt soon.

Another thing i noticed about my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is that when she eats, she starts to lay webs down as she eats, n u see the spinnerts n her abdomen moving up and down n along her web. is this normal behavior, like she is marking her territory or building...

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
3 out of 4 of my T's always eat n the most exciting one to watch is my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, as she has made this interesting web format that allows me to just drop the cricket or 2 into the web. She is very fast to eat the cricket. the only one that is not eating now is my Grammostola rosea, as i think she is gonna molt soon.

Another thing i noticed about my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is that when she eats, she starts to lay webs down as she eats, n u see the spinnerts n her abdomen moving up and down n along her web. is this normal behavior, like she is marking her territory or building...
Hello
Perfectly normal,some call it the tarantula dance. It may be she is laying new trip webs/wires,or sterilizing the immediate area since their webs have that attribute.

Adrian le Plastrier

3 Year Member
I have noticed the same behaviour with my G.Rosea a few weeks before she molts. but its not in one spot, as she will walk around her enclosure for a while. wat i am worried about is she has molted 1 every year, and she is still very young, ive had her for 3 years and she has stayed pretty much the same size though out her life. i say she could be a dwarf T, but i dont think thats possible as due to the fact that T's are meant to grow big. so i will just have to wait it out n see how things go.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have noticed the same behaviour with my G.Rosea a few weeks before she molts. but its not in one spot, as she will walk around her enclosure for a while. wat i am worried about is she has molted 1 every year, and she is still very young, ive had her for 3 years and she has stayed pretty much the same size though out her life. i say she could be a dwarf T, but i dont think thats possible as due to the fact that T's are meant to grow big. so i will just have to wait it out n see how things go.
G.Rosea have been documented as specimens that can stay without food for months,and some up to a year. Ad for molting looking at what I have said,that being possible not molting for extended time periods won't be a problem for them.

Adrian le Plastrier

3 Year Member
That's a possibility.. lol

Could the enclosure she is in cause any change in the molting frequency?
She is currently in a much larger tank than her sisters are, almost 3x the size.. but as i say u say somewhere is ''In nature there are no walls" and she can easily find her food. Maybe i will post some pics n tell me what you think.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's a possibility.. lol

Could the enclosure she is in cause any change in the molting frequency?
She is currently in a much larger tank than her sisters are, almost 3x the size.. but as i say u say somewhere is ''In nature there are no walls" and she can easily find her food. Maybe i will post some pics n tell me what you think.
Posting s photo,is always the best option. Yes,I believe in that motto.

Tyronne

3 Year Member

My 4cm GBB does the same :)

Adrian le Plastrier

3 Year Member
Hey there, ass promised here are the photos.

Attachments

• G. Rosea Setup.jpg
    G. Rosea Setup.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Chilian rose.jpg
    Chilian rose.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 42
  • GBB setup.jpg
    GBB setup.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 56
  • gbb.jpg
    gbb.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 47
  • Scarlet setup.jpg
    Scarlet setup.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 45
  • Scarlet BirdEater.jpg
    Scarlet BirdEater.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Togo setup.jpg
    Togo setup.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 39

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
IMHO, I don't find any of your spiders too skinny. They look just fine to me. I've heard that being overweight is bad for spiders as they may find it more difficult to molt.

Latest posts