• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brachypelma auratum

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Sometimes I catch my A moderatum poking her little leg through the air holes and then she goes to the next one and wiggles her leg through that, smart little cookies they are lol. Awwww poor little boogers they just want a change of scenery and want to be out and about, I know I would get bored in an enclosure after a while, terrarium fever o_O. Yes, if I would have lost my hamorii I would have been devastated, she is one of my top T's, fell in love with her the day I got her, she used to be so skittish and kicky but now, she is so chill and just sits there as I clean out bolus and change her water, not a single urticating flick in months! Brachypelmas are so intriguing, looking forward to my next one which I pray is a emilia!

I can see me wanting the 'full set' of Brachys! I really love them

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
My two B. auratum tend to stay off the substrate and climb around the top a lot. I've not found much about the natural history of this species, but I wonder if they are more arboreal than some of the other tarantulas in this genus. Even if not technically "arboreal", maybe they simply seek shelter in higher places rather than in the ground like other brachys. Maybe they only do this as juveniles and go back to living in or on the earth once they reach adult size and weight.

Just speculating based on the experiences shared in this thread.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
My two B. auratum tend to stay off the substrate and climb around the top a lot. I've not found much about the natural history of this species, but I wonder if they are more arboreal than some of the other tarantulas in this genus. Even if not technically "arboreal", maybe they simply seek shelter in higher places rather than in the ground like other brachys. Maybe they only do this as juveniles and go back to living in or on the earth once they reach adult size and weight.

Just speculating based on the experiences shared in this thread.

Like your thinking, so I did a bit of research. What I found out is the species is found from central eastern Jalisco down through north eastern Colimaand, and into central western Michoacan state.

Rick West says they "seemed to be more of amontane fossorial species, mainly found in the upper fringes of tropical deciduous forests and the cooler and drier elevations of pine-oak forests." Now, he also says he found B. Klassi up acacia trees and one adult B. klassi female who had made her home living halfway up an acacia tree. Apparently, B. auratum in the wild haven't been hugely researched (or maybe I just couldnt find it). So, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to guess that although they are not arboreal, that living around trees, they may possibly do a fair bit of climbing when the will takes them, like klassi's have been observed doing. Perhaps one day, someone will find evidence of this in the wild, be it a sling or even an adult, which would be awesome.

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Like your thinking, so I did a bit of research. What I found out is the species is found from central eastern Jalisco down through north eastern Colimaand, and into central western Michoacan state.

Rick West says they "seemed to be more of amontane fossorial species, mainly found in the upper fringes of tropical deciduous forests and the cooler and drier elevations of pine-oak forests." Now, he also says he found B. Klassi up acacia trees and one adult B. klassi female who had made her home living halfway up an acacia tree. Apparently, B. auratum in the wild haven't been hugely researched (or maybe I just couldnt find it). So, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to guess that although they are not arboreal, that living around trees, they may possibly do a fair bit of climbing when the will takes them, like klassi's have been observed doing. Perhaps one day, someone will find evidence of this in the wild, be it a sling or even an adult, which would be awesome.
Ah that's why my hamorii headed for the ceiling when she escaped! :oops: This makes perfect sense as to their habitual climbing, they are simply mimicking what they have adapted to in the wild and that runs down the genus bloodline apparently, this is so fascinating! Thank you @Jess S for sharing this inside information! This has truly clarified an enigma of Brachypelma genus as I have pondering this behavior for years.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Ah that's why my hamorii headed for the ceiling when she escaped! :oops: This makes perfect sense as to their habitual climbing, they are simply mimicking what they have adapted to in the wild and that runs down the genus bloodline apparently, this is so fascinating! Thank you @Jess S for sharing this inside information! This has truly clarified an enigma of Brachypelma genus as I have pondering this behavior for years.

Lots of people who keep Brachys, Aphonopelma and I guess other terrestrial species have noticed the daily climbing antics. That's why we have it drummed into us that the substrate has to be high enough to prevent a fall great than 1.5 of the tarantula's DLS. I'm beginning to think that just because a species is terrestrial doesn't mean it wont climb. And if the species hails from forest land like the auratum perhaps even more so!

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I have not observed this behavior in any of my other Brachypelma including vagans, albiceps, hamorii, smithii, albopilosum, or boehmei. Yes, they do climb around sometimes, but the auratum alone are almost always up on the decorations or the walls. I've tried experimenting with wetter or drier substrates to see if that had something to do with it, and it doesn't seem to in the case of my two B. auratum.

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have not observed this behavior in any of my other Brachypelma including vagans, albiceps, hamorii, smithii, albopilosum, or boehmei. Yes, they do climb around sometimes, but the auratum alone are almost always up on the decorations or the walls. I've tried experimenting with wetter or drier substrates to see if that had something to do with it, and it doesn't seem to in the case of my two B. auratum.
Very interesting! My hamorii did it more often than my boehmi and as my hamorii matured a little more she doesn't try to climb anymore. Maybe it is just with the younger Brachys? Not sure....