• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bite report videos,relevant info on temperament and other general info(video format)

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

ScottW

3 Year Member
So I think this will be a great addition, here you can post your own experiences learn from others or ask questions and get info on bites from Tarantulas.

I'm not a fan of bite reports in general, due to the high drama I've encountered on other sites... but for learning purposes, here goes. I've been in the hobby a year or so, I have 26 T's and the only time I've been bitten was from a 1" A versi sling while I transferred it from it's shipping container to it's new home. Three other versis came with it, from the same sac. While moving the last one, it crawled onto my hand, as other small slings have done before. As soon as it crawled onto my arm hair it FREAKED, bit me, ran spirals up and down my arm, and bit me again on the top of my hand, which was hovering over it's new enclosure (one of those cubes from hobby lobby). It jumped onto a leaf in its enclosure and I closed the top. Both bites were barely perceptible when she bit me, and only itched for a few moments similar to a mosquito bite. To this day she's a mean little butthead. Out of the four I bought, she turned out to be the only female..which doesn't surprise me, somehow. What did I learn? All tarantula bites are like mosquito bites. Just kidding. But I'm wondering if my arm hair just irritated her, or if she identified it as a big spider leg and got scared? Hairs touching hairs, maybe she thought she had enemies all around her? Sensory overload maybe? I still wonder about that. Anyone have any similar incidents with hairs touching them and making them go ballistic?

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm not a fan of bite reports in general, due to the high drama I've encountered on other sites... but for learning purposes, here goes. I've been in the hobby a year or so, I have 26 T's and the only time I've been bitten was from a 1" A versi sling while I transferred it from it's shipping container to it's new home. Three other versis came with it, from the same sac. While moving the last one, it crawled onto my hand, as other small slings have done before. As soon as it crawled onto my arm hair it FREAKED, bit me, ran spirals up and down my arm, and bit me again on the top of my hand, which was hovering over it's new enclosure (one of those cubes from hobby lobby). It jumped onto a leaf in its enclosure and I closed the top. Both bites were barely perceptible when she bit me, and only itched for a few moments similar to a mosquito bite. To this day she's a mean little butthead. Out of the four I bought, she turned out to be the only female..which doesn't surprise me, somehow. What did I learn? All tarantula bites are like mosquito bites. Just kidding. But I'm wondering if my arm hair just irritated her, or if she identified it as a big spider leg and got scared? Hairs touching hairs, maybe she thought she had enemies all around her? Sensory overload maybe? I still wonder about that. Anyone have any similar incidents with hairs touching them and making them go ballistic?
I personally think it is the heat the skin gives off,I've seen my avics very sensitive towards this a sudden draft of of air is easily picked up by these.

xray_chic

3 Year Member
LP urticating hairs got in my eye.
Day 3:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434219473.683390.jpg