• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best Substrate To Use for My Cobalt Blue

venom6669

3 Year Member
I was wondering what's the best substrate to use for a burrowing tarantula, such as my Cobalt Blue? I currently am using eco earth in his plastic canister he's living in, but I've heard that vermiculite's the best and/or peat moss or both?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wouldn't use straight Vermiculite for anything. I use a 70/30 mix eco/vermiculite. Peat is also good, just be careful of what peat you buy as some has pine/cedar in it which kills Ts. I have a couple dozen happily burrowed King Baboons, in Eco/Vermiculite so I'm a big fan.

venom6669

3 Year Member
I added about 70/30 of the eco earth and vermiculite into my Cobalt's enclosure, (plastic container) and I even made a pre-made burrow hole using my finger and a pencil and my Cobalt Blue's still not burrowing yet! Another source told me just to use peat moss. Will he burrow eventually? Other than that, he's eating great!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yeah, eventually s/he'll burrow. I've seen it take as long as 6 months for a burrower to burrow.

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
I currently have straight coco fiber, placed in damp and pounded flat, for my burrowing roseas and haven't had an issue yet. My larger female has a fairly good sized cavern going currently and everything is holding up nicely.

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
My H.Lividum does fine in straight eco earth. They web it up so it's not likely to collapse.

Some H.Lividum can take a month if not longer to burrow. I wouldn't worry too much about it not burrowing right away.

venom6669

3 Year Member
I just purchased an unsexed 3" OBT (Orange Baboon T) Pteriniochilus Murinus that's currently living in a plastic shoebox and it bolted right out on me after I opened the lid to do spot cleaning and it went right behind my snake tank and climbed up the wall. I was able to capture it while still on the wall in a plastic deli cup and I noticed one of its right back legs came off! I blame myself for it getting out on me & losing one of its legs. Would it regrow back after its next molt? It doesn't appear to be bleeding or it's abdomen has bursted!:eek:

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As long as there is no other injury or 'bleeding', it should be fine after it's next moult. Don't beat yourself up to much, OBT's are super fast, and it's hard to understand just how fast until you see it first hand.

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
Did you find the leg in the enclosure? Have you found the leg at all? They don't bleed blood, they bleed a clearish color substance. Just make sure you have a water bowl in there so it can stay hydrated just in case it is indeed "bleeding". As long as it can replace the fluids it's losing you should be in the clear. When it molts next molt it should have a leg in replace of the one it has now. Although it wont be as thick and robust as the others it will be about the same size. On the molt after the leg should be the same as all the other ones. Some times I wish I molted. :p

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Did you find the leg in the enclosure? Have you found the leg at all? They don't bleed blood, they bleed a clearish color substance. Just make sure you have a water bowl in there so it can stay hydrated just in case it is indeed "bleeding". As long as it can replace the fluids it's losing you should be in the clear. When it molts next molt it should have a leg in replace of the one it has now. Although it wont be as thick and robust as the others it will be about the same size. On the molt after the leg should be the same as all the other ones. Some times I wish I molted. :p

Yeah moulting would have been super handy over the course of my lifetime LOL

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have two Cobalt Blues and they are both avid diggers. They seem to love burrowing into excavator clay (Zoo Med substrate for reptiles). On top of the clay, I would recommend the Eco/Vermiculite (70/30 mix) mentioned above. Know this: You won't see them much after they burrow. True story: I thought I lost my juvi. Didn't see her for months and after seeing crickets grow old and retire in the tank decided she must have passed? The burrow was very deep (I like to make my own burrow hoping they will move into is so I can see them at my leisure with a flashlight but she decided to make a vertical one instead). So, on implulse, I purchased a Chilobrachys fimbriatus at a show to replace her. I emptied out the entire enclosure except the biggest piece of the excavator clay (this stuff gets heave so use caution) as I was hoping to salvage all my hard landscaping efforts. I placed the Indian Violet into the the new enclosure and she went right into my home made burrow entrance. Perfect. The next day, when I went to mist the tank before work, I noticed the T was out and about so misted around her. I thought I noticed something move in the burrow as it was already webbed up. That night when I got home, "the" T was in the back corner. I looked closer and, much to my dismay, it was my "dead" Cobalt! Horrifying! Much more so for the Cobalt Blue but horrifying for me as well knowing that I had my hand all over the tank cleaning out the old substrate and am amazed she never nailed me. I moved fast and rescued the poor critter and re-located it. Both Blue and the Indian Violet are alive and well (if T's have nightmares, than this Blue must still have them being shoved out of the burrow by an angry Chilobrachys!)

Latest posts