• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best First Old World?

Major 78

Consider the cambridgei. It is fast, modest venom, and will prepare you well for old species. Plus, it’s green. Not a color you find a lot in Ts.
If you decide to go this route, use a slab of cork bark on the side of enclosure that will face you. You’ll be able to see it all the time. Again, if you decide to go this route, beware of a cork tube—they create dirt webs around it and hide inside it all day.

I inquired on the cambridgei. It's also 4" so pretty big. Well, the biggest I've ever kept. are they arboreal?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes...their venom is stronger then most new worlds but not like a Poecilotheria ornata.
Capsaicin??? The venom is compared to capsaicin...the same thing that causes irritation with hot peppers. Dont know much about it...never been bite by any of my Psalmopoeus sp. I've been in extremely close situations too. They seam to choose flight before bite. I have alot of these...if your Interested I ship in the spring time.

Major 78

Yes...their venom is stronger then most new worlds but not like a Poecilotheria ornata.
Capsaicin??? The venom is compared to capsaicin...the same thing that causes irritation with hot peppers. Dont know much about it...never been bite by any of my Psalmopoeus sp. I've been in extremely close situations too. They seam to choose flight before bite. I have alot of these...if your Interested I ship in the spring time.

OK cool thanks! Could you PM me the species and prices you may be selling in spring? Thanks

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Heres a 4" female
20190113_102439.jpg

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
What do you guys think? I was thinking the Pulchripes, Cabocla, and Boemei.
Three of my favorites. I have all of them and multiple of all but the B. cabocla.

My P. irminia is always out sitting on its branch that hags from the ceiling.

I agree with Enn on the H. gigas for a first OW. Mine is super cool. She has a burrow, but she sits out in the open begging for food most of the time. They definitely move fast, but no faster than my Brachypelma auratum or my GBBs.

Avicularia Kael

CERATOGYRUS DARLINGI! It is one of my 2 old worlds and was my first one. It was also my second (non-sling) tarantula. She does threat posture but does not charge at you or try to bite you. Did I mention the amazing horn? I have no idea what it is for, but it looks awesome. The also have nice patterning. Definitely a species you should consider.

Last edited:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Could be the cutest tarantula I've seen! :D Is that a P. cambrigei or P. pulcher? I have trouble distinguishing them sometimes. P. pulcher is next on my list!
That one is a Psalmopoeus cambridgei
Yes they are hard to tell the difference at first but you will soon be a pro. :)

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
CERATOGYRUS DARLINGI! It is one of my 2 old worlds and was my first one. It was also my second tarantula. She does threat posture but does not charge at you or try to bite you. Did I mention the amazing horn? I have no idea what it is for, but it looks awesome. The also have nice patterning. Definitely a species you should consider.

Not all members of this genus have horns. For some reason, I like C sanderi

It's a real nice looking tarantula.

lasiodora-parahybana1980

3 Year Member
I was glad that this question was ask because I've been wondering the same thing about which Old World would be great to start with and would fairly easy to take care of. Although, I am still a newbie, so I want to get all my basic care down before delving into the realm of the Old Worlds.

Latest posts