• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best First Old World?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Venom I believe is pretty high in all old worlds unless I'm forgetting one. I wouldn't call any old world docile either. I would recommend Hysterocrates gigas...red Cameroon baboon. They burrow alot but all mine sit outside in the open too. They love water and will actually catch fish. Still I wouldn't want to get bit by one but I've always felt comfortable with mine verses other old worlds. Here is my female eating. She always runs out of her burrow when I open the enclosure...I think she knows I'm going to feed her.
20190101_203609.jpg
20190101_203305.jpg

Major 78

Venom I believe is pretty high in all old worlds unless I'm forgetting one. I wouldn't call any old world docile either. I would recommend Hysterocrates gigas...red Cameroon baboon. They burrow alot but all mine sit outside in the open too. They love water and will actually catch fish. Still I wouldn't want to get bit by one but I've always felt comfortable with mine verses other old worlds. Here is my female eating. She always runs out of her burrow when I open it...I think she knows I'm going to feed her.View attachment 34648 View attachment 34649

Very pretty! I would imagine that even if venom in this species isn't as bad as some, it could do some mechanical damage haha! What are your thoughts on pokies and M. Balfouri? Just another flashy T that everyone wants that's way too aggressive for beginners?

Major 78

Balfouri would be good...I've never had one so I cant really speak on them @Phil . Pokies...I'd say out of all the pokies regalis or striata have always been the most chill in my experience...still potent venom though.

The guy offered me several new worlds and old worlds. Including pokies. I think I should stick with new worlds for a few more months so I can build up experience and trust with my parents. And anyways, the new worlds I was offered are pretty sick! G. Pulchripes, B. Cabocla, and B. Bohemi. All super pretty and generally docile with low venom levels.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The speed of pokies is my only concern with beginners. Psalmopoeus irminia would be a good warm up for pokies. They are a new world arboreal without urticating hairs. They are lighting fast and act alot like a pokie without nasty venom.

I never see my P. irminia but the P. cambridgei is regularly out and about

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Venom I believe is pretty high in all old worlds unless I'm forgetting one. I wouldn't call any old world docile either. I would recommend Hysterocrates gigas...red Cameroon baboon. They burrow alot but all mine sit outside in the open too. They love water and will actually catch fish. Still I wouldn't want to get bit by one but I've always felt comfortable with mine verses other old worlds. Here is my female eating. She always runs out of her burrow when I open the enclosure...I think she knows I'm going to feed her.View attachment 34648 View attachment 34649
they always get labled a pet hole-so good to hear yours are out in the open @Arachnoclown I really like these-I want one:)
if you want some good advice on the m.Balfouri you should ask @Phil like @Arachnoclown says-hes doing a great job breeding them;)

Major 78

N. coloratovillosus 3/4”
G. pulchripes 1/2”
B. cabocla 3/4”
P. Pulcher
N. incei
B. boehmei 1/2
N. incei gold 3.5”
P. cambrigei 4”
P. rufilatas 2.5”

That's what I can get from the guy I'm trading with. Not all obviously but 2-3 he said. What do you guys think? I was thinking the Pulchripes, Cabocla, and Boemei. Definitely not the Incei's, since I have one coming next week!!! And not the Nhandu since I already have a Nhandu of a different species. Thoughts?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Id go for the B.boehmei and the P.pulcher but that's only because of personal preference as i have these-whatever you choose will be a nice addition to your collection:)

Nunua

3 Year Member
I have no clue about "the best first OW" but my first OWs were two pokie slings that I bought in July, 5 months after getting my first T. So far both have been easy to work with. I keep observing their behavior to see if they'll get more defensive when growing, but I have no prejudice towards them.

Sokahr (P. vittata) showed me right away what does ppl mean by pokies being fast. He bolted out from the travel vial and took a run around me and then decided to chill on the chair. He usually flees upwards and is therefore easy to guide into the bottle I use for transferring my Ts.
Cydaea (P. tigrinawesseli) was easy to get out from the travel vial, but she's overall more shy. She always cowers in the bottom corner of her enclosure if spooked, but is ready to bolt when putting the catch cup / bottle on her.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My view has always been that if you want a T enough and you know exactly what it's capable of, then buy it. Do thorough research on that T and always be alert to how it could react to you invading its space and you can deal with any T.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Consider the cambridgei. It is fast, modest venom, and will prepare you well for old species. Plus, it’s green. Not a color you find a lot in Ts.
If you decide to go this route, use a slab of cork bark on the side of enclosure that will face you. You’ll be able to see it all the time. Again, if you decide to go this route, beware of a cork tube—they create dirt webs around it and hide inside it all day.