• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Before you give up on crickets...

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm guessing you mean silkworms? [emoji14] They're easy to care for (given that you have an adequate amount of food) and depending on how large they are when you acquire them, they can take a few weeks to a few months to pupate.
I did, sorry should have been clearer, TY :D I may try a few and see if my 8 legged monsters like them :)
thx Chubbs

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
No, it's almost certainly a Periplaneta nymph, the markings are different than Eurycotis. Plus it's much more likely to find a Periplaneta in a garage than a Eurycotis. Not saying its impossible though...
Hmmm. It was large and the house is near a wooded area. It was about 3 inches long. You know better than I do, I'm just guessing. The only ****roach I like are the G. portentosa. (I think that's right, the Madagascar hissing ****roach.)

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
No, it's almost certainly a Periplaneta nymph, the markings are different than Eurycotis. Plus it's much more likely to find a Periplaneta in a garage than a Eurycotis. Not saying its impossible though...
I'm taking that statement back. I just went to your blogspot and your hissers and little nymphs are cute! And the discoidal assassin roaches are pretty cool. Guess I just don't like the ones that get into houses here in Florida...

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Aha! This is why you were summoned. :D Hey if two of my male javanica keep fighting, should I separate them? They keep taking breaks and then fighting again..they wont kill each other will they?

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Hmmm. It was large and the house is near a wooded area. It was about 3 inches long. You know better than I do, I'm just guessing. The only ****roach I like are the G. portentosa. (I think that's right, the Madagascar hissing ****roach.)

Hmm, size and habitat does sound good for Eurycotis, but the coloration and overall shape of the roach itself does not match Eurycotis. I am pretty sure it's a Periplaneta. And yeah, who could hate hissers? :)

I'm taking that statement back. I just went to your blogspot and your hissers and little nymphs are cute! And the discoidal assassin roaches are pretty cool. Guess I just don't like the ones that get into houses here in Florida...

Thanks, they are adorable! :D Yes I really love my P.discoidalis, they are beautiful! My mom feels the same way lol, the only roaches I'm not allowed to keep are Blattella germanica and any Periplaneta species, those guys came inside all the time when we lived in FL!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nah they shouldn't be able to do any damage to each other, I wouldn't worry about it. :)
They just get tired I think..ive never encountered any bug that has the kind of strength hissers do. I had a huge portentosa rap her legs around my finger and squeeze. I was moving her to a new enclosure and had to wait 5 minutes for her to ease up, I was afraid I'd hurt her trying to pry her off..incredible strength for such a small animal.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
They just get tired I think..ive never encountered any bug that has the kind of strength hissers do. I had a huge portentosa rap her legs around my finger and squeeze. I was moving her to a new enclosure and had to wait 5 minutes for her to ease up, I was afraid I'd hurt her trying to pry her off..incredible strength for such a small animal.

Yeah, they can be incredibly strong. There have been cases where adult hissers have pried the lids off their containers!