• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Before you give up on crickets...

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Me neither. I do hate them but my T's "love" them :T:. I wish this species of cricket was readily available in my area as I have used them before and agree with all of the reviews but they just aren't. The issue I have with Ghann's and most online sources is that they either kill you with the minimum order (250 per order in this case is even much for me!) or the shipping is a deal breaker. But always looking....

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I used crickets exclusively until i joined this forum back in December and learned how many more choices there are for your Ts. Since then i've only bought crickets at the lps when i was short on roaches or didn't have the right size of roach, which has been twice now ;)

I'm with @Denny Dee , if they would make the orders more affordable i'd buy crickets again, like @SasyStace said nothing triggers a feeding response like a cricket. Lateralis are the closest I've seen but still not as craved by my Ts as crickets.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I the UK we're lucky, we can buy crickets in boxes. I buy 3-4 every 2 weeks of various sizes and these are silent crickets. Buying online and paying shipping works out cheaper for me than buying in a pet shop..

The sizes available are
Micro (pinhead) 1-3mm
Small 4-5mm
Med/small 6-8mm
Med 8-12mm
Standard 12-18mm
Large 15-20mm
Ex. Large 20-30mm

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
what's the count per box? best i've found here in the states is 250 per at the same sizes up to medium then i think it was 100 or 150 per. i'll have to check again to verify.

So the best prices i can find for banded circkets are at joshsfrogs.com 250 per order for pinhead, and small (1/8"), then 120 for 1/4", then 72 for 1/2" and 5/8", 60 for 3/4" and up.

Also have timberline crickets, but those are the ones we get at the lps that never last for more than 2 weeks no matter the size. smallest order for them any size is 500 count. They give you a few hundred extra to cover the dead loss :p

Last edited:

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
I the UK we're lucky, we can buy crickets in boxes. I buy 3-4 every 2 weeks of various sizes and these are silent crickets. Buying online and paying shipping works out cheaper for me than buying in a pet shop..

The sizes available are
Micro (pinhead) 1-3mm
Small 4-5mm
Med/small 6-8mm
Med 8-12mm
Standard 12-18mm
Large 15-20mm
Ex. Large 20-30mm
I wish we had the silent kind! I feed the male's to my beardies because they go quick and leave the female crickets for my tarantulas in case they don't eat right away. That way I don't hear chirping all night...

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@kormath They don't do them by numbers but there are loads more small than the larger ones.

This is what I buy every fortnight
Small 4-5mm - feeds 7 Ts @ 1 each every 4 days, 4 Ts @ 3-4 each every 4-5 days, 8 Ts @ 4-5 each every week so must be around 200 allowing for some dying
Med 8-12mm - feeds 19 Ts @ 1-5 each every week
Large 15-20mm - feeds 6 Ts @ 3-5 each every week and 2 Ts (LPs) 7-8 each every week

That lot cost me £7.43 ($10.56) including shipping for 2 weeks feeding

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@kormath They don't do them by numbers but there are loads more small than the larger ones.

Small 4-5mm - feeds 7 Ts @ 1 each every 4 days, 4 Ts @ 3-4 each every 4-5 days, 8 Ts @ 4-5 each every week so must be around 200 allowing for some dying
Large 15-20mm - feeds 6 Ts @ 3-5 each every week and 2 Ts (LPs) 7-8 each every week

not bad, much better prices and counts than anything I can find on this side of the pond. Luckily all my feeding is now free with my roach colony :) and starting to pay off the $50 or $75 i've put into it so far. I may start buying some crickets now and then just for something different and to watch how insane the Ts go to get them :D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

People still say fortnight over there? That is so cool :) lol

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
what's the count per box? best i've found here in the states is 250 per at the same sizes up to medium then i think it was 100 or 150 per. i'll have to check again to verify.

So the best prices i can find for banded circkets are at joshsfrogs.com 250 per order for pinhead, and small (1/8"), then 120 for 1/4", then 72 for 1/2" and 5/8", 60 for 3/4" and up.

Also have timberline crickets, but those are the ones we get at the lps that never last for more than 2 weeks no matter the size. smallest order for them any size is 500 count. They give you a few hundred extra to cover the dead loss :p

Well the ones that Josh's Frogs sells are the banded crickets ;), which are far better than the typical run of the mill domestic house crickets that the majority of pet shops and online vendors sell. I've never been fond of roaches. Granted I have not used dubia, but I have heard quite a few cases of keepers reporting that some of their tarantulas refused to eat them, and I've heard the same for certain other roach species (discoids which I actually tried myself and had very mixed results with). So the banded crickets have the advantage of being pretty much universally accepted by most tarantulas and other inverts (like I've said I've yet to see one that refused crickets), as well as being tougher +longer-lived and quieter than other cricket species.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well the ones that Josh's Frogs sells are the banded crickets ;), which are far better than the typical run of the mill domestic house crickets that the majority of pet shops and online vendors sell. I've never been fond of roaches. Granted I have not used dubia, but I have heard quite a few cases of keepers reporting that some of their tarantulas refused to eat them, and I've heard the same for certain other roach species (discoids which I actually tried myself and had very mixed results with). So the banded crickets have the advantage of being pretty much universally accepted by most tarantulas and other inverts (like I've said I've yet to see one that refused crickets), as well as being tougher +longer-lived and quieter than other cricket species.
There is still a dubia living quite happily in my G.porteri's enclosure on her hide, as well as one with my T.ockerti. Most of mine refuse to eat dubia. SOoooooo, I'm going to give up and order a large box of them and let them do what crickets do naturally, thanks for info on the banded. Guess I'll get mine at Josh's :/

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Only 1 of my T's will eat dubia and that's the larger GBB. She's like Mikey and will eat anything.

I been thinking about getting an order of the medium crickets. My roaches just started dropping egg casings so it will be a couple months before I have a bunch of smaller roaches to feed the slings.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There's just one thing about crickets...they have this stupid, single mindedness about eating, they sometimes chew on each other, for gods sake.. A well fed roach doesn't act like that (Well, most of the hundreds of species) @Kymura there are several kinds of roaches to try, don't be put off by a few picky eaters...and the truth is, out in the wild? No tarantula would turn up it's er..carapace..to a dubia. Your tarantulas are simply not hungry enough. And don't even start, I know your tarantulas are fat and spoiled..:p Ever see a pic of one of mine that looked skinny? They all ate dubia for over a year, with a very occasional worm, once I was satisfied they were all eating dubia well. Only a small part of my collection balked to begin with though.. Your tarantulas won't starve if you wait a month to feed them guys :p And while that's not my regular schedule, it will damn sure kick a tarantula's appetite up a notch. Don't let them railroad you. You guys think tarantulas would starve themselves to death to avoid eating dubia roaches? :p Spoiled. Fatass. Tarantulas. lol

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
By the way, you want to know the last time I picked a dead, stinking dubia out of my colony? Man, for the life of me I can't remember..they also make a soothing sizzling noise when the colony stirs. Excellent :D

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a lateralis colony that my Ts love. And I don't have that many Ts to start up a second dubia colony. I order a small batch of dubia for the GBB and I think the pcam had eaten one or 2 but I'm not positive if they didn't burrow away and hide first.

That's why I don't like them. They burrow away and are ignored by my fat well feed Ts ;)

Latest posts