• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B albiceps sling looking thinner, not eating

remington

I got a 1/2 inch B albiceps sling roughly three weeks ago. I keep it in a top ventilated 50 dram vial filled halfway with sub. It has a hide, moss, and a water dish. Half the sub is kept lightly moist. I see it moving around sometimes, just yesterday I caught it grooming near the water dish.
However, it has not eaten at all, and its abdomen is starting to look smaller and more oval shaped which is worrying me. I have been offering it prekilled and halved mealworms of varying sizes 1-2 times a week, and it has not shown interest even once. I have left the worm overnight as well as moved it slightly with tongs to try and entice the sling. No dice. My other tarantula is a bigger B hamorii sling, and it rarely refuses food unless it's in premolt. This extended fast is something I have never encountered before outside of obvious premolt. Included is a photo of the sling I took yesterday, as well as the enclosure (the paper on top has holes punched through it, it is blocking much larger ventilation holes I was worried the sling could escape through). Is an abdomen this size and refusal to eat a cause for concern?

Attachments

• o7nb2nutib991.jpg
    o7nb2nutib991.jpg
    815.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6161.jpg
    IMG_6161.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 26

Blackdog

I got a 1/2 inch B albiceps sling roughly three weeks ago. I keep it in a top ventilated 50 dram vial filled halfway with sub. It has a hide, moss, and a water dish. Half the sub is kept lightly moist. I see it moving around sometimes, just yesterday I caught it grooming near the water dish.
However, it has not eaten at all, and its abdomen is starting to look smaller and more oval shaped which is worrying me. I have been offering it prekilled and halved mealworms of varying sizes 1-2 times a week, and it has not shown interest even once. I have left the worm overnight as well as moved it slightly with tongs to try and entice the sling. No dice. My other tarantula is a bigger B hamorii sling, and it rarely refuses food unless it's in premolt. This extended fast is something I have never encountered before outside of obvious premolt. Included is a photo of the sling I took yesterday, as well as the enclosure (the paper on top has holes punched through it, it is blocking much larger ventilation holes I was worried the sling could escape through). Is an abdomen this size and refusal to eat a cause for concern?
Maybe try pre-killed pin heads crickets

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Abdomen is larger then the carapace, looks fine to me. Keep offering prekilled food to scavenge on. Place tape on the inside of the lid and add new vent holes.

Latest posts