• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

AZ Blonde Hibernate?

shatteredpast7

Recently my Aphonopelma Calcodes (Barbara) came out of a sort of dormancy for the whole winter and only ate once the whole season. She came out fatter than when she went in! Her legs and her carapace are significantly smaller compared to her abdomen and she is seems to be a dragging her booty and acting lethargic.
She is not pregnant either....do they actually go into hibernation? And do they tend to put on weight somehow? What could be happening? Am i just being an overbearing mother?

Tarantulafeets

My A chalcodes has burrowed up for the two winters that I had her for, seems that they just do it because temps in the wild can get a bit chilly. Yours coming out fatter than before could be it building up to molt, so it might molt soon*

*might be months because it's Aphonopelma lol

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've got a wild caught chalcodes and she has never hibernated in my care ever.
20211206_213839.jpg

MBullock

3 Year Member
It's entirely species and temperature dependent.

Once it hits the 40's they'll seal off. some seal away at higher temps, others hang in there a bit longer to mate- mainly high-altitude species like Marxi and the montane population of steindachneri which will keep the burrow open until the first frost hits

Trainwreck

I have three A chalcodes atm, one sealed up her burrow months ago- the other two just chill, mostly staying underground. The two have not sealed their burrows and still feed occasionally.

Latest posts