• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

"Arboreal" behavior from a H.Lividum

Jesperr

3 Year Member
IMAG0276.jpg
IMAG0278.jpg

Jesperr

3 Year Member
Thank you :) I know they are burrowers but I thought it would be an okey enclousure.Do you suggest another encluosure? This ia a exo terra with "doors" so I cant add too much more substrate.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
I would recommend a new enclosure that would allow you to fill it with substrate. I use arboreal enclosures for my burrowers, and just fill it about 3/4 with peat

khatchet

3 Year Member
If you dont want a new tank just set up a blocker to hold the bedding in when you open it, or just seal the cracks in the doors and use the top to open it up.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My h.lividum has a strange "arboreal" behavior. Can anyone help me with this problem?
Like others have stated above my post,change the setup it is a fossorial T. Thus it burrows,and it won't change. The arboreal enclosure idea works well,I have used this with my Haplopelma Lividum and Thailand Velvet specimens. Another one of my Tarantulas I have used this is my P.muticus.

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
How old is it? Sub adults sometimes do strange things. I have a sub adult male OBT that had hides and 6" of substrate, but he made a web home in the top corner. Came down at night to eat and move things around, but iwas back at the top in the morning. After a couple weeks of this he came down and now has a network of tunnels.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wanted to add something,my P.muticus and H.lividum was so seldom seen I haven't retrieved one molt and the other day just saw a small tarantula with signs of some blue. The P.muticus at the slightest movement will disappear and maybe show itself at the entrance every few weeks,I use this as a time to feed the above mentioned. I have added 3 specimens that I suspect will be the same,the Thailand velvet(Ornithoctonus Aureotibialis)since they have already burrowed since day one and have been pulling a Houdini.

Last edited:

Jesperr

3 Year Member
How old is it? Sub adults sometimes do strange things. I have a sub adult male OBT that had hides and 6" of substrate, but he made a web home in the top corner. Came down at night to eat and move things around, but iwas back at the top in the morning. After a couple weeks of this he came down and now has a network of tunnels.
I dont know how old it is,but I believe it is a sub adult :)

Latest posts