• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anybody own hissing ****roaches?

Pider

3 Year Member
At the pet store in Huston where I got my rosie (Animal Arc, very great place and absolutely wonderful employees who love the creatures) they were breeding hissers, and I'm considering one when I visit again. Wondering if anybody else has kept one as an actual pet rather than a feeder.

Pider

3 Year Member
****roaches scare me really bad ._. I want a Mantis but not sure what website is the best for one

I'm not a huge fan of the roaches you can find in homes occasionally (worse yet I always seem to forget they can fly until they actually take off!) but the hissers were really neat. Lady told me they bedazzle their hard backs in India and put them on their shirts because they don't move around too much.
And definately let me know if you find anything on that, Mantids are beautiful pets from what I've seen so far!

Tara Russell

3 Year Member
I'm not a huge fan of the roaches you can find in homes occasionally (worse yet I always seem to forget they can fly until they actually take off!) but the hissers were really neat. Lady told me they bedazzle their hard backs in India and put them on their shirts because they don't move around too much.
And definately let me know if you find anything on that, Mantids are beautiful pets from what I've seen so far!

The house ones scare me ._. if one flies I'm running XD I know I was thinking about a Ghost Mantis or this Orchid Mantis it's so Pink :D

C_KAT_G-orchid-mantis.jpg

1601431_280062372152647_1168810035_n.jpg

Quandry

3 Year Member
I have an adult male named Haja. He's a champion hisser. Hah! I often hear him in his cage, just hissing to himself, despite there being no one and nothing around. The ones we use for outreach events often won't hiss because they are so used to being handled. They are pretty docile once they are used to being held, and they definitely don't skitter around like the pest species you find in your homes (which, by the way, are an extremely small percentage of the total roach species in the world).

My favourite roaches, though, are the two glowspots (Lucihormetica verrucosa and L. subcincta). They are pretty and also rather docile. Domino roaches (Therea petiveriana) are also good ones, and they look more like beetles than roaches.

Here's Haja demonstrating his skills at hissing: