• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

any tips on catching crickets ? etc

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
oh yeah those small ones can really jump. Twice or more than the large ones. Get an aquarium net and play catch the cricket with your kids/friends/neighbors etc ;)

That could be a new drinking game. Let loose a dozen or 2 small crickets, arm your buddies with small aquarium nets and make the crickets jump. If you miss on your turn you drink, you catch one everyone else drinks. You either catch them all then go do whatever or you get too drunk to care ;)

khatchet

3 Year Member
I do not really have a problem catching the cricket but I always put them in a cup before fishing them out. @Enn49 you are right cats are great for the one who do get away. But @kormath you game sound great.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
oh yeah those small ones can really jump. Twice or more than the large ones. Get an aquarium net and play catch the cricket with your kids/friends/neighbors etc ;)

That could be a new drinking game. Let loose a dozen or 2 small crickets, arm your buddies with small aquarium nets and make the crickets jump. If you miss on your turn you drink, you catch one everyone else drinks. You either catch them all then go do whatever or you get too drunk to care ;)
Awesome idea.....very funny

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ha ha ha....just stumbled on this thread. I need a tip for catching crickets, just spilled a full tub all over my bedroom floor. Bed bugs tonight.....lol
Got a couple cats you can have, .......just saying....

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Got a couple cats you can have, .......just saying....
Thanks for offer but not really a cat person I am afraid to say. They love using my garden as a toilet though and although they reckon the best cure for that is to a cat of your own....just not my thIng. Wonder if trantula in the garden will get rid of the cats. I reckon my geniculata would give most cats a heart attack!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for offer but not really a cat person I am afraid to say. They love using my garden as a toilet though and although they reckon the best cure for that is to a cat of your own....just not my thIng. Wonder if trantula in the garden will get rid of the cats. I reckon my geniculata would give most cats a heart attack!
I recommend a small dog. Small dogs hate cats, because they fear them :) My old toothless weenie dog/ mutt will still harass a cat incessantly until it leaves the area, without harming it. She's also good for catching stray roaches and the occasional wasp that gets in the house(yes, she's been stung on the face more times than I could possibly count..she had a bad childhood encounter with a hive). She thinks bugs and cats should live on an island together, far away from her.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cats were my moms, I'd cheerfully re home them if it was someone I trusted to take good care of them and keep them inside. Much rather have a tarantula....

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cats were my moms, I'd cheerfully re home them if it was someone I trusted to take good care of them and keep them inside. Much rather have a tarantula....
Agreed. They do have their uses in the country though. I saw my moms cat kill a rattlesnake, or saw the end result. My ivory head roaches just pulled up :D

aimi

3 Year Member
those crickets are always too fast for me. so i use BugZooka Bug Catcher Vacuum. got it form amazon (http://amzn.com/B000PWD6SQ). it works like a charm, plus i can use it to catch unwanted bugs around the house (those i do not to feed to the t's of course, lol).

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I recommend a small dog. Small dogs hate cats, because they fear them :) My old toothless weenie dog/ mutt will still harass a cat incessantly until it leaves the area, without harming it. She's also good for catching stray roaches and the occasional wasp that gets in the house(yes, she's been stung on the face more times than I could possibly count..she had a bad childhood encounter with a hive). She thinks bugs and cats should live on an island together, far away from her.
Could not face having another dog yet either. Lost my lovely White German Shepherd to cancer a few years ago and still not over it.having to revert to electronic cat deterrent for now. Seems to be doing ok atm.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Could not face having another dog yet either. Lost my lovely White German Shepherd to cancer a few years ago and still not over it.having to revert to electronic cat deterrent for now. Seems to be doing ok atm.
Understandable. I said the same thing when I lost my last dog, a 16 yr old pit. Then this happened:
WP_20160223_05_07_47_Pro.jpg

When she goes, it will be unbearable, but what's the alternative? Never meeting her? ;)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Every time I see Piggy she makes me smile :p
Losing them is hard, and heartbreaking,
but loving another doesn't take anything from them and eases it just a bit.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Every time I see Piggy she makes me smile :p
Losing them is hard, and heartbreaking,
but loving another doesn't take anything from them and eases it just a bit.
:) She's my baby. Her life will be better, because of me. When she goes ill miss her, but you learn to take that kind of pain better with practice. The grim reaper waits for us all ;) Ask not for whom the bell tolls..

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You can always get another pet but it never replaces the one you've lost simply because they all have different personalities.

Will

3 Year Member
With regards to tiny crickets, a couple of drinking straws works a treat. The ones with the bendy bit on them. They are also useful for encouraging T's into places.

For bigger crickets, I use a kritter keeper.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Been thinking about this, best way to catch crickets is to have them in a water tight container, then fill it with water. Makes the crickets easy to catch, stops their chirping, and gives the T a bit extra hydration ;)

Latest posts