• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Adult Tarantula

Will25

3 Year Member
Hey guys
So I have always wanted to buy myself a nice big mature Tarantula. When I started the hobby about 14 months ago I bought all my T's as small as posibble because I was new and honestly still a bit afraid. Some of them like my A.Geniculata and my G. pulchripes grew quite fast but are still as not big as I hoped.
So my question...
What is a ideal species than I can buy as an adult that would make a great display species and not be to fast or skittish as I'm still a beginner. I already have my B. Albopilosum
B.vagans
B.Smithi
B.boehmei
G.rosea
G.pulchripes
A.geniculata
C.fasciatum
Besides these species what others would be ideal???

Ghost

3 Year Member
If you like your T's big and black then I would suggest getting a G.pulchra,
Their great looking T's and my female is always out and about.....
image.jpg

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
To stay with the Grammies: I would also suggest G. Actaeon. Beautiful big and bulky, almost blueish black with red hairs on their abdomen.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'd go for an L. parahybana female. They're always on show, average adult size is 8" (can reach10").

This is my young male but you get the idea

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've actually never seen an LP over 8 inches. Average legspan is around 7-8. People have a tendency to exaggerate their size.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My girl is 8 1/2, and that's with her legs extended, but not fully. It's hard to keep a ruler held next to her but I'll try it later and see if I can get a pic. She'll most likely take it from me though. All items in her enclosure are confiscated for her approval...:) I'm hoping she gets monster size, but it's true, 8 inches is normal for them...not that 8 inch spiders with bulky bodies aren't impressive...I'll try the ruler thing after I get my new enclosure ready for the 5" female P antinous that will be here Wednesday. :T: I'm hoping she gets at least as big as my Lp, ...or even bigger. Very impressive spiders, both of them.