• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. versicolor is in bad shape..

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, I found my smallest versicolor on the floor of her enclosure, legs half curled. She's had plenty of food, her water dish was full of fresh water, there's no evidence of injury or mites or fungal growth on her. It's not a molt, she molted almost a month ago, her colors are vivid and gorgeous. She looks perfectly healthy, other than the fact that she acts like she's about to pass on. She barely moved her legs when I picked her up. I've never had to put one in an icu, but I'm trying it with her. I have 3 versis, all from the same sac, and the other two are almost twice her size. I had thought it was because she was female, and they were males, but as they grew I noticed one of the bigger ones looked very female. So she's always been a runt, she's always been more defensive then the other two, and in fact she's the only spider that's ever bitten me, when she was a tiny sling during her transfer to a new enclosure. It was nothing, and I've never even considered it an actual bite...anyway, there's no clear indication of whats wrong with her, but she's in the icu right now, near my roach colonies heat mat for some extra warmth, and I'll be monitoring her. I know this happens sometimes, what's surprising to me is how upset I am right now. After all my preaching about avics I lose one, my favorite one, of course. I'm gutted. I don't think she's going to make it.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I share your pain bro... I was not overly happy with the arrival of my new Ts due to the passing of my precious. :(

Hang in there, at least you got to put her in ICU.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She's showing no life whatsoever now, she's gone. I cannot freaking believe she just died for no reason..I've examined every hair on her, she looks gorgeous and perfect, other than being half the size of the others. I guess she just wasn't born healthy and fit like them. Maybe she's been struggling this whole time, and finally gave up, I don't know..she moved right, webbed just like the others, she didn't eat as much but she ate regularly..I figured she was just a runt, a smaller tarantula than her brother and sister. She ate a dubia LESS THAN A WEEK AGO, and got fresh water...then bam, I find her already dying. I never thought I'd be the author of one of these posts. I lost a 1/2" Lp freebie that died in the mail, and a few mature males that died naturally..this is the first time I've had a sick one pass on for no visible reason, it really does suck. I raised her from 3/4 inch to 3 1/2 inches. The other two are so much larger, and ate so much more, I should have known this would happen eventually:(

SasyStace

3 Year Member
She's showing no life whatsoever now, she's gone. I cannot freaking believe she just died for no reason..I've examined every hair on her, she looks gorgeous and perfect, other than being half the size of the others. I guess she just wasn't born healthy and fit like them. Maybe she's been struggling this whole time, and finally gave up, I don't know..she moved right, webbed just like the others, she didn't eat as much but she ate regularly..I figured she was just a runt, a smaller tarantula than her brother and sister. She ate a dubia LESS THAN A WEEK AGO, and got fresh water...then bam, I find her already dying. I never thought I'd be the author of one of these posts. I lost a 1/2" Lp freebie that died in the mail, and a few mature males that died naturally..this is the first time I've had a sick one pass on for no visible reason, it really does suck. I raised her from 3/4 inch to 3 1/2 inches. The other two are so much larger, and ate so much more, I should have known this would happen eventually:(

Noooo... I am so sorry bud. :(

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Aw Mass, so damn sorry. Nothing I can say to make it better. We feel for your loss though.
The only thing that will make me feel better is my 5 pumpkin slings Tuesday, and a drink tonight. ;) Thanks Kymura, thanks Stace. The funny part is, I'm a grown man, and I had to fight back tears when I found her. I'm pathetic...lmao

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The only thing that will make me feel better is my 5 pumpkin slings Tuesday, and a drink tonight. ;) Thanks Kymura, thanks Stace. The funny part is, I'm a grown man, and I had to fight back tears when I found her. I'm pathetic...lmao
NO! Having honest emotion for the things you care about is NOT pathetic,
I'm old trust me in this o_O
I'm rather jealous of your pumpkin patches, and trust me after my week my tequila is right here waiting for me,
totally understand ^^

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Aww no, so sorry. I lost my P. Met sling in a similar way. Never grew much with each molt and never was the same after its last one (only had one meal and was constantly hiding in the same spot). Found it one day at the bottom of its tub, looking very weak and hardly reacting. Had it in ICU twice (it had perked up in between and seemingly attempted a molt - or had some kind of fit and fell on its back, I'll never know), but it just died on me (no death curl, just stopped moving all together and was definitely dead/stiff). I was ok(ish) until my husband asked me what I'd do with the "body", then the tears came :(.
New Ts definitely cheer you up (although the Freebie B. Smithi they sent was already in a semi death curl when I unpacked it and never made it through the night), I got my Amazonica and G. Actaeon as a "replacement" (didn't want to try raise another Pokie just now).

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Aww no, so sorry. I lost my P. Met sling in a similar way. Never grew much with each molt and never was the same after its last one (only had one meal and was constantly hiding in the same spot). Found it one day at the bottom of its tub, looking very weak and hardly reacting. Had it in ICU twice (it had perked up in between and seemingly attempted a molt - or had some kind of fit and fell on its back, I'll never know), but it just died on me (no death curl, just stopped moving all together and was definitely dead/stiff). I was ok(ish) until my husband asked me what I'd do with the "body", then the tears came :(.
New Ts definitely cheer you up (although the Freebie B. Smithi they sent was already in a semi death curl when I unpacked it and never made it through the night), I got my Amazonica and G. Actaeon as a "replacement" (didn't want to try raise another Pokie just now).
Is your amazonica still a sling? Pictures! Wait, I saw you had a picture thread I believe..I'll check that :) Yeah it was a bit depressing, I've had her awhile, and while she was a runt, it was kind of sudden.. Fortunately I have feeding time tonight, that always cheers me up.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Is your amazonica still a sling? Pictures! Wait, I saw you had a picture thread I believe..I'll check that :) Yeah it was a bit depressing, I've had her awhile, and while she was a runt, it was kind of sudden.. Fortunately I have feeding time tonight, that always cheers me up.
Yes, it's tiny. It had one molt so far and I thought it was in premolt again, but then I found it munching on its cricket yesterday morning. I'm still a little bit worried about it all the time, because one of the girls on here had an Amazonica from assumingly the same egg sack (same shop, same size) which died suddenly.
It seems quite healthy though, seems to get the "zoomies" every day when it just scoots around the top of its tub.

Payden King

3 Year Member
So sorry for your loss. I just lost my versi not too long ago as well. Maybe like six months ago? I was so devastated. I got her as a sling and she was fine.. webbed like crazy, ate like crazy, vicious little thing. Then all of a sudden after about a year she died of unknown causes. She (or he I really don't know) started doing this weird thing where her legs would beat with her heart beat. It was so strange I've never seen anything like it. She was never exposed to any chemicals or pesticides and was completely healthy. I don't know what caused it but I put her in ICU and it didn't help her at all. For about a day I thought she might make it through but sadly she didn't. I cried like a baby for so long. I feel your pain.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So sorry for your loss. I just lost my versi not too long ago as well. Maybe like six months ago? I was so devastated. I got her as a sling and she was fine.. webbed like crazy, ate like crazy, vicious little thing. Then all of a sudden after about a year she died of unknown causes. She (or he I really don't know) started doing this weird thing where her legs would beat with her heart beat. It was so strange I've never seen anything like it. She was never exposed to any chemicals or pesticides and was completely healthy. I don't know what caused it but I put her in ICU and it didn't help her at all. For about a day I thought she might make it through but sadly she didn't. I cried like a baby for so long. I feel your pain.
It's amazing how upset it makes us, right? Felt so bad for the fuzzy little thing. Sorry for your loss as well. :(

Latest posts