• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

a. versi sling setup?

Tyronne

3 Year Member
This is my first arboreal sling which I received about 4 days ago. Is this enclosure too big? It hasn't webbed yet... getting a bit worried. It's due for it's first feed tomorrow, which will be a small lobster roach. I can't find anything anywhere smaller.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 99

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is my first arboreal sling which I received about 4 days ago. Is this enclosure too big? It hasn't webbed yet... getting a bit worried. It's due for it's first feed tomorrow, which will be a small lobster roach. I can't find anything anywhere smaller.
If I may suggest something, you can try this and see if it works. I have used it with all my avics. I just do my enclosures other way around,but should have the same effect. Instead if relying on decoration on the bottom upwards,attach a plastic leaf plant at the top. They tend to web up way faster,as if they feel more secure.

I will post a photo here if need be,and I can prove my claims with all my setups and other members here have tried it same result. They web up so much,you can't even see them.

Last edited:

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here are the Photos,and no issues you can even see the old molt in the one photo. All my avics are done this way,but I thought a sling setup would be appropriate.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420387657638.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420387657638.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 84
  • uploadfromtaptalk1420387854771.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420387854771.jpg
    915.1 KB · Views: 78
  • uploadfromtaptalk1420388049475.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420388049475.jpg
    996.9 KB · Views: 75
  • uploadfromtaptalk1420388275437.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420388275437.jpg
    729.8 KB · Views: 78

Tyronne

3 Year Member
Pretty cool idea, thanks! And for feeding, do you drop the prey on the substrate, or into the web holding the top upside down?

Tyronne

3 Year Member
Ok so here is what I have at the moment. Need to find a nice plastic plant for the roof. Should I be concerned at all in terms of stress on the sling for yet another rehousing?

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 58
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 57

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok so here is what I have at the moment. Need to find a nice plastic plant for the roof. Should I be concerned at all in terms of stress on the sling for yet another rehousing?
That I can't say,stress at what level ? Do they truly stress ? Anything is up for debate, but must say looks good so far all needs is that plant.

Last edited:

Tyronne

3 Year Member
Here's an update :) So I payed the plastics store a visit, got some nice cups. I also got some fish aquarium plants and pepples form the pet store, which ironically was next door to the plastics store. The pebbles were for the water bowl. After some minor modification to the cups and plant installation, the transfer of the versi sling was so easy! I just let the little guy loose in a tub, and placed the top half of the new enclosure over him, and he ran straight up. After a few minutes he immediately started exploring doing laps around the cup, and to my surprise, went straight down, climbed on top of the water bowl and drank! After a minute or so went back up to continue his exploration. I also watched as the little guy cleaned each and every one of his toes. Lets hope some webbing starts soon. He is also very dark in colour, practically black actually. Possible molt on its way. Thanks again to Martin for the advice! :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 65

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here's an update :) So I payed the plastics store a visit, got some nice cups. I also got some fish aquarium plants and pepples form the pet store, which ironically was next door to the plastics store. The pebbles were for the water bowl. After some minor modification to the cups and plant installation, the transfer of the versi sling was so easy! I just let the little guy loose in a tub, and placed the top half of the new enclosure over him, and he ran straight up. After a few minutes he immediately started exploring doing laps around the cup, and to my surprise, went straight down, climbed on top of the water bowl and drank! After a minute or so went back up to continue his exploration. I also watched as the little guy cleaned each and every one of his toes. Lets hope some webbing starts soon. He is also very dark in colour, practically black actually. Possible molt on its way. Thanks again to Martin for the advice! :)
Haha little bugger,looks great compared to when I did my first ones. Seems like it's going well,I really hope it works out. I just find these enclosures way easier to handle and maintain,as soon as you have your first Avic sorted the rest will follow easier.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Also,you will be able to share with other new Avicularia enthusiasts helping them since many are scared of having these due to sudden avic death syndrome.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have read about that... I'll be devastated. I just love this little guy. Either way if it does happen, I will try again.
Hello again
I mentioned that for a reason,I have also read into it a lot. I personally haven't seen this to be true so far,I am thinking there is more to it. Incorrect enclosure setup etc,so stay positive and enjoy your Avic.

swimbait

3 Year Member
Looks like a good setup, I too like to keep all my arboreal slings, especially avics, in a setup very similar. With it flipped upside down like such, whenever I feed mine I just open the container flip it over and put a cricket in its web burrow. Unfortunately I didn't get to do a setup like this with my p. cambridgei slings because I could not find the cages I usually use, although only one of them has made them self even semi arboreal so far so not sure that it would of even mattered. Whats in the cage next to the avic?

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looks like a good setup, I too like to keep all my arboreal slings, especially avics, in a setup very similar. With it flipped upside down like such, whenever I feed mine I just open the container flip it over and put a cricket in its web burrow. Unfortunately I didn't get to do a setup like this with my p. cambridgei slings because I could not find the cages I usually use, although only one of them has made them self even semi arboreal so far so not sure that it would of even mattered. Whats in the cage next to the avic?
Hello
I use this with all my arboreal or semi arboreal tarantulas,they make homes at the top. I like this way,easy to feed and maintain.

Tyronne

3 Year Member
It's
my GBB :) Just over 3cm

Tyronne

3 Year Member
How's the sling doing ? Any updates ?

Oh right! Started webbing! He lives on a leaf surrounded with some minor webbing at the moment. See attached pic. he's very dark in colour, I suspect a molt. I can't believe how well this enclosure design encouraged it to web. Martin++++

Attachments

• DSC_0008[1].jpg
    DSC_0008[1].jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 44

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh right! Started webbing! He lives on a leaf surrounded with some minor webbing at the moment. See attached pic. he's very dark in colour, I suspect a molt. I can't believe how well this enclosure design encouraged it to web. Martin++++
Hello
I never say my ideas are a sure thing, I say test it. No matter who says what,the proof is in the pudding or webbing haha. There is a member here,who lost almost all avicularia,he can personally testify to these enclosures and will laugh if someone tells him to do them otherwise.

Latest posts