• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Seemanni in premolt? It's been over a year

smallbike

3 Year Member
Hello,
I've had my A. Seemanni for about 16 months, and I'm absolutely dying for a molt. I was wondering if you all had any input on whether this looks like her abdomen seems to be darkening - I looked back at old photos and it's hard to tell (she's had the bald patch since I adopted her). I also noticed that she's got some poop residue above her spinnerets, and doesn't seem interested in cleaning up. Other than that, she's acting (mostly) normally - much less interested in climbing her fake plant, but not exactly living up to her fossorial potential.

She seems to want to fast more often than not, and during the winter my apartment can get down into the low 60s/upper 50s so I suspect that's a factor. She hasn't eaten in... at least 3 months, if not longer. But she's done that before, and then up and started eating again.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• dirty spider.jpg
    dirty spider.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 86

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Aphonopelmas all seem to be slow in general. I have a A.chalcodes, A.hentzi, A.moderatum and A.seemanni and they all fast for long periods of time. I got my seemanni 4 years ago at 4" and he just now matured out, only molting once every year. If it's a older female only time will tell. I've had my female A.chalcodes for 2 years. She's only ate maybe 3 times since i got her and has never molted in my care so still waiting on one myself.

Yours definitely looks to be in premolt though so could be anytime now. Then again could be a few months away too. Like i said aphonopelmas are tough but no need to worry, she looks good.

smallbike

3 Year Member
Aphonopelmas all seem to be slow in general. I have a A.chalcodes, A.hentzi, A.moderatum and A.seemanni and they all fast for long periods of time. I got my seemanni 4 years ago at 4" and he just now matured out, only molting once every year. If it's a older female only time will tell. I've had my female A.chalcodes for 2 years. She's only ate maybe 3 times since i got her and has never molted in my care so still waiting on one myself.

Yours definitely looks to be in premolt though so could be anytime now. Then again could be a few months away too. Like i said aphonopelmas are tough but no need to worry, she looks good.
Thanks for the reassurance! Wow, I have been really interested in the A. chalcodes but only eating 3 times in 2 years? I would drive myself crazy wondering if it was ok!

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Thanks for the reassurance! Wow, I have been really interested in the A. chalcodes but only eating 3 times in 2 years? I would drive myself crazy wondering if it was ok!
No worries and don't let that discourage you from getting one. They are awesome Ts still. My girl is absolute sweetheart. It is a little worrisome sometimes but just part of the hobby with some species. I still offer her a roach or cricket every other feeding and always end up taking it out after a few days after she refuses it. She's a thirsty T though, if not in her burrow she's in her water dish :D as long as they look healthy i wouldn't worry a whole lot.

smallbike

3 Year Member
No worries and don't let that discourage you from getting one. They are awesome Ts still. My girl is absolute sweetheart. It is a little worrisome sometimes but just part of the hobby with some species. I still offer her a roach or cricket every other feeding and always end up taking it out after a few days after she refuses it. She's a thirsty T though, if not in her burrow she's in her water dish :D as long as they look healthy i wouldn't worry a whole lot.

Yep, if mine refuses food 2-3 weeks in a row, I usually skip about 3 weeks or so before feeding again. But I do catch her drinking water all the time, and it never gets old:rolleyes:

smallbike

3 Year Member
How big is your spider???
I've got a mature female and she molts every 4-5 years.

Hard to say, probably a solid 4+” leg span, but she’s always in awkward positions. I don’t know how old she is since the people I got her from took her in after she was surrendered at a pet store, and had incorrectly been told or guessed her species (and for all we know, she’s a he, which is why I’m so impatient for a molt!)

I knew that aphonopelmas and grammostolas were slow growing, but I didn’t know a T could go 4-5 years between molts, holy cow. Every time I think I’ve learned a lesson about patience, my spider decides I’m not done. Good thing I’ve got my cat to keep things interesting while I wait :)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They slow down on molting once they mature. If shes 4" your looking at least a year between molts. At 5" they are pretty much maxed out for size. I've got a 8 year old female that molts on a two year cycle for the last couple molts. My 12 year old female was at 4 years her last one. My 20 year old B. Smithi was at 5-6 years after she hit 12 years old or so.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Hard to say, probably a solid 4+” leg span, but she’s always in awkward positions. I don’t know how old she is since the people I got her from took her in after she was surrendered at a pet store, and had incorrectly been told or guessed her species (and for all we know, she’s a he, which is why I’m so impatient for a molt!)

I knew that aphonopelmas and grammostolas were slow growing, but I didn’t know a T could go 4-5 years between molts, holy cow. Every time I think I’ve learned a lesson about patience, my spider decides I’m not done. Good thing I’ve got my cat to keep things interesting while I wait :)
If you want something to kill time while you wait for your seemanni you should get a Lasiodora species, something around 3/4-1". It will molt every month or so for awhile and you'll end up with a nice fat spider within a year or so.

I know what u mean though i hate not knowing what sex it is. Im able to sex most of mine right away once they get a certain size usually. My seemanni was one i was never sure of, i assumed it was female because of its size and how long I've had it but its always been skittish and could never pull a good molt so never was 100% sure, it literally just molted last week and im 100% sure its male now :D

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
This was it a few years ago when it lost one of it's back legs and what he came out looking like last week. Totally different looking spider.
Screenshot_2019-04-08-23-33-22(1).png
20190405_182830(1).jpg

smallbike

3 Year Member
This was it a few years ago when it lost one of it's back legs and what he came out looking like last week. Totally different looking spider.View attachment 36407 View attachment 36408

Oh wow! Its new look is so much darker! And dang what a lil fattie ;) There’s no way I could get mine to eat that much. Interestingly, Spinelli is missing a foot on the same leg, good to know there’s a chance it can be fully functional again in just one molt.

People ask me why I have a tarantula, and I gotta say it’s one of the only pets I’ve ever had where I learn something new about it (or its relatives) All. The. Time. 16 months in, still learning all kinds of things! And as a result I’ve been able to share my knowledge with people who are grossed out or afraid of spiders and many of them develop a new appreciation for them (even if they don’t decide to keep one for a pet). I’m fairly passionate about conservation and it makes me want to promote tarantula research and conservation. It’s amazing how little is known about so many species of them - and some might disappear before we have the chance to find out.

Thanks everyone for all the knowledge and support!!

Latest posts