• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Chalcodes completely changed color following molt.

Tboltguy1000

Hi all,

I woke up this morning to discover that my A. Chalcodes had molted, and completely changed color. Before the molt, she was the coloration of a typical female. Light tan, and slightly darker brown. However now, he/she's significantly larger and appears to be a very dark blue/black and dark brown. Is this normal? Are these her/his new permanent colors?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

MBullock

3 Year Member
I'm not sure if this is the final molt though, I hope not. I just got him/her last October. When I bought him/her, he/she was fairly small, I'd say 2 1/2". I'll see if I can get an updated measurement later.
also keep in mind the entire iodius species complex is polymorphic. iodius itself can look really 'brassy', or sandstone-colored, or even with a jet black eye-turret greatly resembling brachypelma emilia, the same goes for eutylenum and johnnycashi- other members of the iodius complex. chalcodes is the only one that doesnt seem to get this 'mask' in this group.

Tboltguy1000

Here's a photo. Don't mind the weird gray blob in the photo where her/his carapace is, that's just a smudge on the glass of his/her enclosure.
unnamed.jpg

MBullock

3 Year Member
Oh wow, well that's unfortunate. How long would you estimate he's going to live for? Thanks very much for the help, by the way.
with proper care they can live for quite some time, I have a mature male i collected last summer, he's still alive today, though no longer making sperm webs.

Tboltguy1000

with proper care they can live for quite some time, I have a mature male i collected last summer, he's still alive today, though no longer making sperm webs.
Got it, I don't plan to do any breeding or anything so the sperm webs won't be an issue. Currently I have him in a 12"x12" Exo Terra enclosure with 4" of substrate, a good sized hide, and fresh water always available. I feed all my tarantulas a couple of Dubia roaches once a week, and I also mist the soil and walls of the enclosure every day to maintain the proper humidity levels because the room I keep the enclosures in can get kinda dry. Is there anything about that stuff I should change for this particular tarantula?

MBullock

3 Year Member
you will need a deeper waterdish for him, now. at least 3.5 oz mature males have issues with shallow dishes

Latest posts